JORDAN HENDERSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:09 am

Thommo's perm » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:31 am wrote:Nobody will not look back in 10 years or so and say "Henderson was quality, a class player who deserved to be captain of LFC" Why? Because he is a grafter and nothing more. He has a great attitude and a good engine, scores the odd goal, one or two of which are spectacular. But other than that he could easily leave and not be missed.
:no

He's a transition player fulfilling a role until a better player and a better captain come along. It's what we've become used to. Origi, Milner, Lovren, Can... they're all medium class shirt warmers.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:45 pm

He makes a great pass sideways. Or backwards...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:05 pm

7_Kewell » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:45 pm wrote:He makes a great pass sideways. Or backwards...

Like I said, Henderson may be a very useful player for the team. A team always need a grafter like Dirk Kuyt. But as a KEY player and a CAPTAIN, he is never gonna be good enough...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:31 pm

maguskwt » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:05 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:45 pm wrote:He makes a great pass sideways. Or backwards...

Like I said, Henderson may be a very useful player for the team. A team always need a grafter like Dirk Kuyt. But as a KEY player and a CAPTAIN, he is never gonna be good enough...

I completely agree. But who do we give the armband to? I can't think of many in the team who've shown the sort of commanding presence that an LFC captain should have. Maybe Matip in a year or two, but unless we get a world class talent coming through the ranks, I can't see who else will take the mantle.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Yup thats the problem there is no one really we can give it to.
Matip is a good shout.
I wonder how Couts would do as captain. I don't really see him barling orders or anything. He seems timid.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Many years ago Old Whiskey Nose eluded to the long term problems Henderson would have with his feet due to his running style. His observations seem to have been proved correct. Can we rely on an average captain who is having constant problems. If Gerrard was out injured in his heyday most fans were devastated. The same cannot be said of Henderson !!

THE LAST POST ON THIS THREAD WAS 27TH JANUARY WHICH TELLS ME A LOT ABOUT THE INTEREST LEVELS THAT HENDERSON GENERATES !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:41 am

I find the lack of interest in Henderson, the club captain, absolutely bewildering !!
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm a big fan of Henderson and I think we miss him alot when he's out of the team. He always gives 100% every game which cannot be said for the rest of the team. I actually like him as captain aswell.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:40 am

Hendo is deffo underrated, okay he's not Graeme Souness or Steven Gerrard but not many players are,  I think as fans we tend to go out of our way to accentuate the faults in his game and highlight the mistakes he makes when in fact all players make mistakes during games.
If Alonso tried a pass and it didn't come off everyone was like 'unlucky Xabi!', if Hendo does the same thing it's like 'You stupid #%*@ing w@?£@;'
I think all the top sides in this division would gladly have Hendo in their squads and probably in their starting XI's too. He's good at what he does.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Hendo is a good squad player. Nothing more.

The fact he's captain says more about our squad than it does about the player himself.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:40 pm

'Good squad player' is being a tad unfair to Hendo.

He's good enough to be a starter in a league winning team imo, but perhaps not as its midfield lynch pin and captain. We need more guile in there but Hendo is a very good player.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:45 pm

devaney » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 am wrote:I find the lack of interest in Henderson, the club captain, absolutely bewildering !!

:laugh:

Not talking about the fella's footballing ability here BUT in terms of leadership I find the fact that Henderson is our club CAPTAIN a lot more than just  bewildering !!!!!!.

It'll be a long time before I forget (if ever) how he allowed that Prima Donna Balotelli to actually overrule, intimidate and take the ball off him for the penalty against Besiktas only two seasons ago .

Decent player ?  :nod

Leader ?   :laugh:  I've got a dog I'd sooner follow  !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Yakka you are obviously entitled to your opinion mate but without being too brutal I don't think Henderson is even a Troy Deeney let alone a Souness or a Gerrard. He has improved from the £18m underperformer that we bought from Sunderland but given his first couple of seasons that wouldn't have been difficult. For me he had one standout period the year we nearly won the title. Other than that has he really been much better than average. And there is a good reason why the crowd would be sympathetic towards Alonso when a game changing pass failed and that's because a high percentage of them didn't fail. The same unfortunately cannot be said of Henderson, hence the groans.

I certainly don't agree that Henderson would get into any of the top squads let alone play regular first team football for any of them. Personally I think your view of him is incredibly overrated. Yes he will run all day long but just how much of it is productive.

I would much prefer to see Lallana as captain. Mentally he has got a lot more about him. Henderson is becoming a problem with his constant injuries and that is an obvious problem for a captain. He was injured for 147 days during 15/16.

Interesting how we see the same player so differently. At the end of the day I guess it's all about opinions and I hope mine is proved to be wrong.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 pm

woof woof ! » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:45 pm wrote:
devaney » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 am wrote:I find the lack of interest in Henderson, the club captain, absolutely bewildering !!

Not talking about the fella's footballing ability here BUT in terms of leadership I find the fact that Henderson is our club CAPTAIN a lot more than just  bewildering !!!!!!.

It'll be a long time before I forget (if ever) how he allowed that Prima Donna Balotelli to actually overrule, intimidate and take the ball off him for the penalty against Besiktas only two seasons ago .

7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:22 am

woof woof ! » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:45 pm wrote:

To be fair on that Balotelli thing it was at the start of his captaincy and he was two years younger, I'm sure if that happened now he would be more assertive so I would not pass judgement on just that case. More concerning is as a captain he needs to affect the game when things aren't going right and he never really does that, also his injury record has been poor and a captain needs to play regularly to be effective.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion