Joe Gomez Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:30 pm

He is liable to miss judge the odd cross every now and again but his one on one defending is superb, ive seen him up against the likes of Martial, Rashford and Sane now and none of them have gotten any change out of him (it was the flight of the ball which beat him yesterday not Sane).
He reminds me of a young Sol Campbell in the sense that he's so big and quick he's very difficult to get past in a one on one duel. His distribution and general all round play has come on leaps and bounds too, he's got a big future ahead of him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Penguins » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Gomez has been abysmal for a month now, making mistakes in every single game. I don't care if he would be 12 years old, he has no business being in a Liverpool kit.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:27 pm

Sorry to say it but it was another disaster for him at right back. Not only did he fu'ck up for the sane goal but he was involved in the other two as well. It brings me no pleasure to criticise such an honest and passionate lad, after all he has come back from a horrific injury.
We can expect this kind of play as long as he is in that position, but why TAA wasnt used is beyond me?
:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:03 am

Joe's only 20 ffs, in a massive game like Citeh... who wouldn't make mistakes at that age. That's how they gain experience and learn. VVD will sort him out.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:43 am

He has been making positional mistakes but his natural attributes and technical skills tell me he will be a very good defender. I am more than happy to have him in the team to gain experience.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:53 am

So we're agreed he continually makes mistakes that, as yet, he doesnt seem to learn from.
Yes he is young and has potential, but we must accept that while he plays we are susceptible to the type goals we have conceded through his errors. I'm sure that eventually he will get it right, but on the current evidence its not going to be anytime soon.
Lets just hope it doesnt cost us a trophy or a top four finish?
Thommo's perm

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:03 am

Think Gomez is only going to get better. I think he's really good now, the pace and power he has is up there and as he age's he'll gain more experience. He is quality in the making IMHO. And that misjudge flight of the ball for Sane's goal wasn't the catastrophe it's been made out to be, that was the keeper at his near post who ended that phase of play with egg on his face.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:03 am

Kenny Kan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:03 am wrote:Think Gomez is only going to get better. I think he's really good now, the pace and power he has is up there and as he age's he'll gain more experience. He is quality in the making IMHO. And that misjudge flight of the ball for Sane's goal wasn't the catastrophe it's been made out to be, that was the keeper at his near post who ended that phase of play with egg on his face.

Agree that Karius should have done much better BUT if Gomez had done his job there wouldn't have been any shot to save.

As others have said, recently the lads been making  positional errors that have exposed/cost us.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 am

He has been impressive despite the mistakes. It is however a crucial phase of his development and if we plan on using him as a CB in years to come it might be worth giving him more opportunities in the role going forward. TAA also has decent potential and with Clyne due back in a month or so they'll both find opportunities harder to come by.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:25 pm

It really wasn't a difficult ball to deal with. Gomez took himself out of the game rather than the quality of the ball. It was not as if the ball was pinged in front of Sane and he ran onto it. It was more a floater and Sane had to chest it down in order to move towards goal. It was a misjudgement from Gomez but he was very good apart from that. Helped keep their attack pretty quite for the most part. Some really good challenges against quality players who are on form.
Eagle

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:13 pm

Kenny Kan wrote:Think Gomez is only going to get better. I think he's really good now, the pace and power he has is up there and as he age's he'll gain more experience. He is quality in the making IMHO. And that misjudge flight of the ball for Sane's goal wasn't the catastrophe it's been made out to be, that was the keeper at his near post who ended that phase of play with egg on his face.

Who mentioned catastrophe? Certainly not me?
Putting words in peoples mouths is one of the best ways of attempting to deflect from the issue. Nobody is arguing that he wont be "quality in the making", but I'm talking about right now, where he is making mistakes of a similar nature. Luckily it hasnt cost us too much, but the fu'ck ups continue without any sign of lessons being learnt.
Lets hope that all these people who keep saying "hes only young, he will learn" are proven right and he grows up by Monday.
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 pm

***** Sake !

I'm sure Moreno is so f*cking happy he hasn't been playing lately.

If he'd made half of the mistakes Gomez has made in recent games more than half of this forum would have been queuing up to drive him to the airport.

As Jimmy Greaves said

Football, It's a funny old game

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:24 am

woof woof ! wrote:***** Sake !

I'm sure Moreno is so f*cking happy he hasn't been playing lately.

If he'd made half of the mistakes Gomez has made in recent games more than half of this forum would have been queuing up to drive him to the airport.

As Jimmy Greaves said

Football, It's a funny old game

My tanks full and the engines running...
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Before Joe came here he was primarily a L.B with a future at C.B. Whenever he played under Rodgers it was at L.B but somehow Jurgen doesn't see that and thinks he is a better fit at R.B which he isn't. The flight of that ball that caught him out the other day when Sane scored imo was because he isn't suited to the right.  He is doing an ok job there but it isn't natural to him and that's why we see positional mistakes.
Anyway he should have got away with the Sane one the other day and he would have only for terrible goalkeeping.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:45 pm

red till i die!! » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 am wrote:Before Joe came here he was primarily a L.B with a future at C.B. Whenever he played under Rodgers it was at L.B but somehow Jurgen doesn't see that and thinks he is a better fit at R.B which he isn't. The flight of that ball that caught him out the other day when Sane scored imo was because he isn't suited to the right.  He is doing an ok job there but it isn't natural to him and that's why we see positional mistakes.
Anyway he should have got away with the Sane one the other day and he would have only for terrible goalkeeping.

Gomez played 7 games for us at LB under Rodgers due to a lack of other options in the squad. Before that he played 20 odd times for Charlton at RB/CB. He never played LB for Charlton. He is right footed and long term he'll most likely end up at CB.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion