Joe Gomez Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 pm

I don't know how can some people downplay Joe's mistake. It was as bad as Karius' mistake (which wasn't actually a mistake but more so a lack of ability). Yes, Joe has had some great games and yes he's a very young lad with a lot of potential, but he's had a few other similar mistakes this season and he needs to stop making them if he wants to be taken seriously as a player. I believe he'll learn from this though, and develop into a top player eventually.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:54 am

Pig Catcher » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:45 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 am wrote:Before Joe came here he was primarily a L.B with a future at C.B. Whenever he played under Rodgers it was at L.B but somehow Jurgen doesn't see that and thinks he is a better fit at R.B which he isn't. The flight of that ball that caught him out the other day when Sane scored imo was because he isn't suited to the right.  He is doing an ok job there but it isn't natural to him and that's why we see positional mistakes.
Anyway he should have got away with the Sane one the other day and he would have only for terrible goalkeeping.

Gomez played 7 games for us at LB under Rodgers due to a lack of other options in the squad. Before that he played 20 odd times for Charlton at RB/CB. He never played LB for Charlton. He is right footed and long term he'll most likely end up at CB.

Don't know much about his Charlton days but thought he was playing L.B for England under 19's when O Driscoll was managing them. Both arrived here in the same window so presumed that's why he was playing there.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 pm

:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 pm

He is a very good player. Wasn't his day today, but the same can be said for the rest of the team.

Mane was awful
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that young defender Joe Gomez will switch to a permanent role at the center of defense according to The Independent.

Gomez has impressed this season when used in a role at right back or more centrally and his manager has now said that he thinks his future lies in the heart of Liverpool's back four.

Gomez and Van Dijk , Liverpool could soon have the two best  CB's in the country  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:18 pm

He never had a long term future at right back but it's less risky than playing him CB while he gets used to first team football. I think a loan move to a decent PL would be best next season.
Eagle

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Eagle » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:18 pm wrote:He never had a long term future at right back but it's less risky than playing him CB while he gets used to first team football. I think a loan move to a decent PL would be best next season.

I say give the lad a starting berth alongside Van Dijk, some of the most memorable CB partnerships have been shaped purely by chance.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Eagle » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:18 pm wrote:He never had a long term future at right back but it's less risky than playing him CB while he gets used to first team football. I think a loan move to a decent PL would be best next season.

I don't agree. He has shown some good play in the matches he has featured this season, going forward etc is very encouraging. I'd rather keep him and see if a partnership with VVD will work out next season. Him or rotate Matip/ Lovren, and see which options work best for us.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:30 am

Bit of a mixed day yesterday.
Good in parts but caught out time and again and not instilling confidence in others.
Also needs to work on his crossing
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:38 pm

I think this guy has the potential to be real class. Makes errors here and there, but his potential is amazing. He needs games under his belt, just like Karius did to find some form.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:51 pm

:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby only me » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:38 pm wrote:I think this guy has the potential to be real class. Makes errors here and there, but his potential is amazing. He needs games under his belt, just like Karius did to find some form.

Yes he is still young and inexperienced but i don't see him developing to anything which is good enough for a top premier league team...
First of all what is his role?!?! CB? RB? If he is a center then he doesn't have the physics nor the calm/intelligence ,if he is a Right then he can't cross and misses some technical skills...
BTW you choose a great example in Karius ,he can be good but he isn't good enough.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:31 pm

I think he should get a season long lone to one of the mid table teams. Everybody wins.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:43 pm

Good news that he will be used at CB. Would like to see him get a run of games in the side alongside Virgil. Matip picks up a fair few injuries and Lovren is reckless so if Joe can get a run of games he might just do a Robbo and make it his own.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:08 am

A day to forget yesterday, almost bordering on being their best player for much of the game.
:no
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion