If we fail to achieve CL qualification this season...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:47 am

What happens?

Will Klopp get fired? Will his job be exponentially more difficult? Will we fail to get players we want? Will the stadium expansion plans be put on hold? Are we going on a downward spiral?

We were in the leading position to finish 4th. Now, after the Crystal Palace game, it is not within our own hands anymore. The Mancs are peaking. They are winning games without Ibrahimovic. It is 90% sure Man City will finish 3rd. We have let Arsenal back in (if they win their games in hand we will be on equal points).

Under Rafa, we were regularly a top 4 team, however we weren't regular title challengers. After Rafa, we are regularly outside of Top 4. Are we becoming a club like Spurs last time? Have we and Spurs switched positions?

Discuss...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:01 am

If we don't make champions league then i would assume Klopp will not be given a lot to spend. We will continue to buy 3rd choice players.
I feel missing out on top 4 will hault our progress for sure.
I don't think Klopp would get sacked but his job will be scrutinised more.
After being is such a solid position to miss out on top 4 will dent a lot of the fans faith in Klopp.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am

Not a chance he will be fired and he shouldn't even have that hanging over his head. He will get a sizeable kitty to spend come the summer but what he spends it on is another situation altogether. I believe he will be forced to sign a certain amount of kids in line with the owners policy but that has proven to be worthless as none of them are paying off so he has got to challenge this and force change. He also needs to address the issues that has been dogging us like the state of the defence, Nothing up front except midfielders, The lack of depth in the squad and the over reliance on soft players that cannot stay fit. All issues that were ignored last summer and cannot be overlooked again. CL of course should make it easier but that's just an excuse because the last time we qualified we brought in nothing worthy of playing in the damn thing anyway.

The stadium expansion is a carrot on a stick and should never be an issue due to the relatively low cost to finish it. its reported at being 70 million which is peanuts in fairness.

Under Rafa we were a regular CL club but with the mindset of starting every campaign looking to be league champions but that was so long ago and under completely different ownership. That mentality has been long gone through successive years of dumbing this great club down in terms of success and fan expectations. We are not setting out to win leagues anymore but to just finish 4th. Under this ownership we have one lowly cup win and 1 embarrassing CL campaign in 7 years so that alone tells you all we need to know about how driven this club has become.

Next year will make or break Klopp and it is a sad way to be but that unfortunately is the way it is.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:15 pm

Zero chance of him getting fired if we miss out on CL. That would be the most craziest decision ever and would suggest FSG haven't got a clue what they are doing. No chance of it happening, CL or no CL
Doeboy

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Fire him and replace with who exactly? It's a miracle a world class manager came here in the first place and we'll be heading down a dark road if we bin him off because we've narrowly missed out on the top 4. Especially given how strong we were (leading the table) with a fully fit squad.

Yes, mistakes have been made and Klopp has been the first to admit that. He's also said moves are under way to improve the squad in the summer. How the CL/no CL footie affects that, I don't know, but I trust Klopp to sign the right players whatever the budget he has.  That said, if we miss out on the CL, the pressure will start to build next season on him.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Getting rid of Klopp is crazy talk, truth is we are lucky to have him, 18 months ago why a manager of his ability and stature chose a club like this probably had a lot of people within the game scratching their heads. Top managers usually choose clubs that can match their ambitions.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:31 pm

Weve still a good chance of getting it but yesterday was gut wrenching watching Benteke and Sakho taking the pyss and Allardyce grinning like a cheshire cat.

It was the manner of defeat, the obvious bully boy route one set piece garbage that we are absolutely sick to death of falling foul of for years under Dalglish for a while, then Rodgers, and incredibly still under Klopp, this simply must be addressed in the summer.

Klopp wont be sacked but hes in the same boat as Guardiola, obsessed by attacking football and a massive chip on his shoulder over presentation, the amount of times he brings up 'long balls'  in interviews reveals his contempt.

The antidote to an Allardyce humiliation is to compromise beliefs by sacrificing attacking football for a more balanced approach, so far both Klopp and Guardiola have refused to do that and its all driven by ego and easy pickings for these experienced Premiership coaches.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm

I think the issue of injuries has to be taken into account. Take 3-4 first teamers out of any of the top 4 and they'd struggle to maintain their form. We're missing:

Lallana
Henderson
Mane
Sturridge  :laugh:
Ings
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Agreed, we have been unlucky with injuries, we've had Coutinho, Lallana, Mane, Hendo and Matip all missing for a significant period of time and that's without mentioning the likes of Danny Ings and Studge who almost seem to be permanently crocked.
I know the club/manager must take some of the blame but let's face it City or Chelsea would struggle to cope with an injury list like that.
We were unlucky at the end of last season with the Sakho situation and we are unlucky again now.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Im hoping we learn from this seasons mistakes and expand our squad with decent quality in the summer.
A lot of work still needs to be done but we are more or less on track. (If we finish 4th)
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:14 pm

I said on another thread that it would be a miracle to get top 4 and I stand by that. Yesterday only proved that we are toothless up front and weak in defense. Lets not kid ourself that we were bullied out of a win. Their first goal was a cross across the box which benteke tapped in and the second was a weak corner which he bent down to head in. It wasnt physical and there was certainly no bombardment. We basically sh'it ourselves and crumbled when we had the game in the bag. Another inept and predictable performance which brought us back down to earth with a bang
:(
Thommo's perm

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:38 pm

Let's not kid ourselves. We have thrown away a top 4 finish and in a huge number of games the manager has to take the blame. Poor selection, complete inertia in midfield too often, players out of position, taking game changers off and going defensive instead yadda yadda...Klopp has to take some blame here. And if he is asked to leave, he can console himself with being the mouthy joker the BBC love to interview as well as Opel's poster boy. He spends far too much time doing that when he should have brought in a coach for the defence and learned from him.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:01 pm

The very, very, very, very last thing we need is a new manager.
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:27 pm

I don't think anyone wants him gone but some are frustrated with certain aspects of his management this season. I think that's acceptable and par for the course in fairness.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:08 am

Being frustrated and sacking the manager are two totally different things?
:no
Thommo's perm

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion