Hunter s thompson kills himself - Sad day for people who like good books

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:59 pm

im gutted

HUNTER S. Thompson, an iconic contrarian who gave birth to an entertaining, anarchic form of journalism he called gonzo, committed suicide yesterday at his compound outside the exclusive ski resort of Aspen, Colorado.

Like one of his great literary heroes, Ernest Hemingway, Thompson, who had a lifelong fascination with guns, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to police. He was discovered by his son Juan in the kitchen just before 6pm.
A self-styled eccentric and maverick, Thompson favoured Ray Ban aviator sunglasses, a cigarette holder and a cowboy hat that gave him the appearance of a modern-day confederate general.

Aged either 65 or 67, he was an American original: a drug-hazed, counter-culture Ishmael who wrote passionately about what he saw as the demise of modern US society.

Advertisement:
"For the whole point on this picaresque is that the American-style rogue-hero must not merely tease or insult the Silent Majority, but abuse it, outrage it, twist it, hurt it, smash it," he once wrote.

Born in Kentucky to alcoholic parents, Thompson toiled as a mainstream journalist before stumbling across the genre he called gonzo while covering the Kentucky Derby horse race for a sports magazine.

"I'd blown my mind, couldn't work," he told Playboy. "So finally I just started jerking pages out of my notebook and numbering them and sending them to the printer. I was sure it was the last article I was ever going to do for anybody."

Instead, it made him famous, leading to seminal works such as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which began as a 300-word magazine piece about a race in Las Vegas and turned into a best-selling account of a drug-induced road trip to the gambling capital. Published in 1972, it was made into a movie in 1998, starring Johnny Depp.

Not everyone was enamoured with Thompson's style of mythologising, essentially, himself.

Critic Joseph Nocera, in 1981's How Hunter Thompson Killed New Journalism wrote: "But more than anyone else, Hunter Thompson has damaged and discredited New Journalism's promise. Instead of being exhilarated by his freedom, he was corrupted by it. Instead of using it in the search for truth, he used it for trivial self-promotion."

Thompson himself was once asked what made a gonzo journalist. He replied: "The true gonzo reporter needs the talent of a master journalist, the eye of an artist/photographer and the heavy balls of an actor."

Thompson wrote almost a dozen books, including Hell's Angels, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, The Great Shark Hunt, Generation of Swine and Songs for the Doomed, and scores of newspaper and magazine articles. Thompson - on whom Gary Trudeau based his character Uncle Duke in the comic strip Doonesbury - particularly enjoyed writing about politics and sports, and intertwined the familiar themes of violence, sex and drugs.

He could be quite liberal with the truth, as his friend John Burton once noted.

"Lying was the thing he did best," Burton said, "He did it with total cool and confidence." Thompson defended his controversial approach by saying that fiction "is based on reality unless you're a fairytale artist".

"You have to get your knowledge of life from somewhere. You have to know the material you're writing about before you alter it," he said.

His groundbreaking coverage of the 1972 presidential election race between Richard Nixon - who Thompson loathed - and George McGovern was once recalled by a Democrat campaign aide as being the "least accurate yet most truthful" account of that campaign.

Nixon, who Thompson had called a "walking embarrassment to the human race", once said Thompson represented "that dark, venal and incurably violent side of the American character".

It was an insult Thompson would wear as a badge of honour.

The stories about him are almost as legendary as the ones he wrote.

Perhaps one of the most amusing centred on his coverage of the "Rumble in the Jungle", the 1974 heavyweight fight between Mohammad Ali and George Foreman in Zaire.

Days before the fight, Thompson was last seen asking a bell boy at his hotel whether he could lead him to a cannibal tribe.

Thompson, who took to attaching leeches to his head because the blood sucking gave him a "real buzz", did not see the fight but was instead found floating in the hotel pool, face down, afterwards.

When he was fished out, he looked up and asked, "Who won?"

He may have lost some of his relevance in later years, but he continued to insert himself into the national conversation.

He was said regularly to fax advice to Democrats seeking office, and was distraught when Bill Clinton announced he had not inhaled a marijuana cigarette once handed to him.

"It's just a disgrace to an entire generation," he exclaimed.

:(  :(
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:01 pm

sh!t sh!t sh!t. :(

i can't believe how many great and wonderful people have gone recently.

:(

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:14 pm

The guy sounds like a right knob head.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:15 pm

leon, great comment to make!
???
maybe a little respect needed for a literary great?
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:08 pm

leon, you're a brainless @rse. have some f*cking respect.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:10 pm

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is one fu**ed up film. :p

RIP
jonnymac1979

Postby JBG » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:09 pm

Fear & Loathing in Los Vegas is a great book, but Thompson was never reknowned for being a gent and anybody who followed his career would not be surprised that he blew his brains out.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dom1 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:34 pm

well the world is neither a better nor a worse place without this fella!

had to get my tuppence worth in! :D
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:07 am

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas . Possibly the funniest book I've ever read . A must for anyone who's ever been wasted ,tripped out and paranoid . :D  :D  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:50 am

dawson99 wrote:...... an iconic contrarian who gave birth to an entertaining, anarchic form of journalism he called gonzo, committed suicide yesterday ......

....... had a lifelong fascination with guns....

..... died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.....

......A self-styled eccentric and maverick....

.....Thompson favoured Ray Ban aviator sunglasses, a cigarette holder and a cowboy hat that gave him the appearance of a modern-day confederate general.....

.....Aged either 65 or 67.....

.....a drug-hazed, counter-culture Ishmael .....

....Born in Kentucky to alcoholic parents.....

.......Thompson was last seen asking a bell boy at his hotel whether he could lead him to a cannibal tribe............

............Thompson, who took to attaching leeches to his head because the blood sucking gave him a "real buzz"..........

..........When he was fished out, he looked up and asked, "Who won?" ..........

Does this look/sound like the ramblings of a normal man ??

The man seems like a right idiot.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:52 am

Leon
some people didnt like john peel, John Lennon or kurt cobain.
the point is u gotta show al ittle respect. Yeah, Hunter was slightly off centre, but he was seen by a lot of people as a genius.
Or are u just trying to say something controversial coz u r bored?
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:48 pm

the coincidence of genius and bizarre behaviour is common right through history. leonardo da vinci got up to some strange stuff, einstein was close to the edge for much of the time and just about every great mathematician has been verging on fruitcake.

the belief that there is only one acceptable and sane way of living one's life is idiotic.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:52 pm

Wouldnt know whether to be scared or excited if this guy asked you to go for a drink  :p
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:59 pm

another thing about thompson was, though undoubtedly an eccentric and a maverick (but what's wrong with that?), the media always made the most outn of his actions. after writing books like 'fear and loathing...' and 'hells angels' the press were only too happy to exaggerate any behaviour of his that was at all similar to that expressed in his books. the fact that he also lived his life as a loner is enough to generate all sorts of stories.

but how would i feel about having a drink with him? i'd probably tell him i was busy washing my hair. :D

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:34 pm

Thompson's body was so messed up from drugs that he spent the last 10 years eating yogurt and custard as his body couldn't process any solids. I don't think he was a "genius", in many ways he was a chancer, but Fear and Loathing was a blindingly original book, I'll give him that.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to General Chat Forum