Sylvian Marveaux - Nevermind...

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Greavesie » Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm

I dont understand WHY we're signing him that's all. Just for depth I hope. We badly need two establied wingers, I know I'm being overly critical but the fact he's free doesn't speak volumes given our recent record with them
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby stmichael » Fri May 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Greavesie wrote:the fact he's free doesn't speak volumes given our recent record with them

well any free transfer is a gamble given the fact that the lack of transfer fee means the wages of the player will be higher as a result. for every markus babbel, gary mcallister and maxi rodriguez (in the past six months) they'll be a joe cole and an andre voronin.

i can't think of a huge number of successful free's full stop. ballack did ok for chelsea for a couple of seasons but his wages were the highest in the league at one point. chamakh started well but has faded into obsurity at arsenal. owen is hardly ever seen at united (shame).

i'll give this kid a chance before i judge him. he may be fantastic or he may be underwhelming. we just don't know.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Greavesie » Fri May 13, 2011 7:49 pm

yeh its not like hes at an age where hes going downhill - let Kenny work his magic

I'd rather get some experienced wingers in, whos to say we wont
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat May 14, 2011 6:57 am

Is this a Comolli signing?
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Waldo » Sat May 14, 2011 8:11 am

Willing to give Marveaux a chance to prove what he can do. Given Kenny is looking for 1-2 top class wingers (Young/Mata etc) then I see Marveaux as cover for the LM and LB positions. It sounds like the lad is reasonably highly rated with the likes of Man U + Chelsea reported to have looked at him in the past. Let's see how he goes and if not then he won't be on massive wages and we could always punt back to France for a profit.

No brainer :)
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Had medical today, done deal by the look of things
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Liverpool edge closer to signing French midfielder Sylvain Marveaux

• Left–sided player undergoes medical at the club
• Marveaux set to move on free transfer from Rennes

Reddit
        Buzz up

Andy Hunter
    guardian.co.uk, Thursday 16 June 2011 22.30 BST

Kenny Dalglish is set to add Sylvain Marveaux to his squad after the midfielder underwent a medical
Kenny Dalglish is set to add Sylvain Marveaux to his Liverpool squad after the midfielder underwent a medical. Photograph: John Powell/Liverpool FC/Getty Images

Liverpool have moved closer to signing Sylvain Marveaux on a free transfer after the French midfielder underwent a medical on Merseyside.

The 25-year-old is out of contract following five seasons in the Rennes first team and has been linked with a move to Anfield since January.

Talks took place between Liverpool officials and Marveaux's representatives when Roy Hodgson was manager, although the club's director of football Damien Comolli has overseen the transfer and interest has not waned since Kenny Dalglish took charge.

Marveaux made only 10 appearances for Rennes last season due to a serious groin injury but, providing he passes the medical, the left-sided midfielder is likely to become Liverpool's second capture of the summer following the arrival of Jordan Henderson from Sunderland.

Guardian

----------

Hi Mods, can we put this in the general discussion thread?  :)
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Seen this on Twitter...

Been to a couple of Rennes matches, i lived in France. Quick, decent left foot, hard worker, bit of an attitude, good4bench
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:14 am

hoping we've signed him earlier that way we didn't lose him when we signed better wingers that will start ahead of him... Not too sure he's a starter.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Dundalk wrote:Had medical today, done deal by the look of things

rorysmith_tel As has been confirmed in France, Sylvain Marveaux has failed his #LFC medical. Move not completely dead, but now in severe doubt.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Sylvain Marveaux no longer an option after Football.fr has revealed that Marveaux has failed his medical that would allow him to join LFC within the next couple of days. The attacking midfielder failed his medical due to groin problems suffered in a match against the French club Brest last November. Marveaux has not played since. After news of the failed medical, he has now become a free agent. Marveaux was supposed to come in as a free transfer and another

?attacking option on the left side. Now that he has failed, Stuart Downing becomes the club’s next big option. The Guardian had Marveaux playing for Liverpool for around 60,000 euros a week but now that chance has gone. LFC board and owners have decided to halt all talks with the player now that the medical has been failed. If there is one thing that you can assume, it’s that Sylvain Marveaux will not be a red next season
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:42 pm

His injury was the problem he didn't pass the medical? How the hell did we signed Aquilani then? And Carroll too?

How injured do you have to be in order to fail in a medical that Owen Hargreaves once passed ffs?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Zidane » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:59 pm

What a noob.
Zidane

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 pm

damjan193 wrote:His injury was the problem he didn't pass the medical? How the hell did we signed Aquilani then? And Carroll too?

How injured do you have to be in order to fail in a medical that Owen Hargreaves once passed ffs?

The guy hasn't played for over 7 months, I imagine if it looks like he's still gonna take a few more months or if its not healing properly then its a fail...
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Shows the value of the medical team. Think these medics are the same that Hodgson brought in but could be wrong, anyways good work. Saved us a fortune.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill