Joaquin
38%
Steed Malbranque
1%
Others
9%

Total votes : 74

Postby Red H » Thu May 18, 2006 4:37 pm

I keep hearing rumours about SWP being a done deal, from a number of sources.  I don't want to jinx it though 'cause we all know what rumours are.  The lastest I've heard about also involves BWP, but I don't give this much credulity.  A move for SWP would suit player and club, I just hope Chelsea are prepared to be reasonable about the cost.  The counter to this is that I have heard RB playing down any links, with a foriegn alternative being technically more proficiant and less costly.  I hope this is just gamesmanship on RB's account.
Red H

Postby Bad Bob » Thu May 18, 2006 5:08 pm

It's Giuly for me but that's based on very little evidence, I'll admit. 

Of the players I've seen more of (basically the ones playing in England), I'd give the nod to Pennant--both for his talent (which caught my eye when he was at Leeds and has been confirmed when I've watched him for Birmingham) and also for the practicalities of the situation.  That is,

1) He's available (all of this SWP talk is nonsense as far as I'm concerned--Chelsea will not sell him to us even if he moves on)

2) He's available for a reasonable price (4-6 million is reasonable)

3) He'd suit our style of play (and better than Benayoun or Malbranque would in my estimation)
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 19, 2006 2:19 am

Not seen much of Guily apart from C.L. final but first half his pace, control and running were exceptional. He certainly gave Ashley Cole a hard time and Cole is v.quick. The way Guily brought those long passes down and went forward all in the same movement was class.
account deleted by request

Postby A.B. » Fri May 19, 2006 2:26 am

Realistic targets:

-Giuly
-Alves [reported by Echo to be our target]
-Prieto perhaps

SWP will not sign with us, Bascombe says so and he's the most reliable source out there.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri May 19, 2006 2:27 am

Bad Bob wrote:It's Giuly for me but that's based on very little evidence, I'll admit. 

Of the players I've seen more of (basically the ones playing in England), I'd give the nod to Pennant--both for his talent (which caught my eye when he was at Leeds and has been confirmed when I've watched him for Birmingham) and also for the practicalities of the situation.  That is,

1) He's available (all of this SWP talk is nonsense as far as I'm concerned--Chelsea will not sell him to us even if he moves on)

2) He's available for a reasonable price (4-6 million is reasonable)

3) He'd suit our style of play (and better than Benayoun or Malbranque would in my estimation)

Pennant is not the type of player you win the Premiership with. His attitude is questionable, we certainly don't need a spice boy at the club again.

Secondly, he's hardly what you call a tricky winger. Good for mid-table Premiership sides, not for us.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby harry_smiles » Fri May 19, 2006 5:15 am

I would love to see SWP come, when he was at Man City he always impressed me, and you always thought that something could happen when he got onto the ball. But to be honest i really don't think we will get him for che$ki. Joaquin is pure class, if you have seen him play for betis you will know what i mean, but he is not proven in the EPL. For the money that it would cost to bring him over, i don't think he is worth the risk that he will be a flop. Giuly is similar to Joaquin in that he is not proven in the ELP but if we could get him for a reasonable price he would be worth the risk IMO. Gaunt said that Alves is linked with us. I recon he could be a good player for us, he is still young, and is pretty resitile, so i hope that he would be able to adjust to the EPL.
After all that i am going to say that i voted to SWP, i want us to have a few more english players.
harry_smiles

Postby anti-hero » Fri May 19, 2006 6:12 am

It would be a dream if Joaquin came.. but it obviously isnt gonna happen.

Not this season at least. :D

I chose Jermain Pennant mainly because he is a very realistic target who is in my opinion, a bargain considering his 4-5 million dollar transfer fee and his Premiership proven abilities.

But its all speculation and hopeful wishes at the end of the day.

Having said that, I wouldnt mind if Joaquin, Pennant or Ricardo Quaresma came to Anfield
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 73-1141222089 » Sat May 20, 2006 4:44 pm

anti-hero wrote:It would be a dream if Joaquin came.. but it obviously isnt gonna happen.

Not this season at least. :D

I chose Jermain Pennant mainly because he is a very realistic target who is in my opinion, a bargain considering his 4-5 million dollar transfer fee and his Premiership proven abilities.

But its all speculation and hopeful wishes at the end of the day.

Having said that, I wouldnt mind if Joaquin, Pennant or Ricardo Quaresma came to Anfield

Haven't heard the name Quaresma for some time...... I'd seen him play in the past and really thought that he had the potential to go far.....

Wonder where he's playing and what's been his lot recently....
Did he make it to the Portuguese WC Squad?
73-1141222089

Postby anti-hero » Sat May 20, 2006 7:21 pm

He's been playing at FC Porto this season and is widely regarded as the BEST player in the Portuguese Superliga.

I'm not so sure about him going to the World Cup though. Portugal has a treasure trove of very talented wingers. Scolari has apparently chosen Ronaldo, Figo, Boa Morte and Simao to take to Germany. Unfortunatley for Quaresma, he's been pushed out of the national team because of the fact that Portugal just has too many wingers competing for two spots.

:laugh:  I wish Liverpool had THAT dillema.

Obviously, Quaresma is Porto's biggest asset and I don't think that they would let him go. But its Speculation Season so I might as well give my two cents worth.

IF Rafa does table a bid for Quaresma, my guess is that it should be in the region of 10-12 million euros. In my opinion, he's very very similar to Joaquin. He has the dribbling ability that has come to be synonymous with Iberian wingers and has the ability to complete "magical" passes.

But like all players, he has his faults - the unwillingness to drop back and defend once possesion changes hands. (Reminds you of someone doesnt he?)

He would be a great aqquisition for us, considering the fact that we are in dire need of a winger, and the other little fact that his transfer fee wont balloon because of his uninvolvement in the World Cup.

But I just hope that he wont be so "lightweight" in his game and be another contributor to the growing number of foreign imported flops we have in the league. :D

Here's with my fingers crossed.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat May 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Never seen this site before, but this caught my eye. £3m would be an utter snip for the guy.

It's probably b*llocks, however. :D

http://www.thesoccerforum.net/2006....r-giuly

"Liverpool ready to bid for Giuly

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is ready to offer £3 million for Barcelona winger Ludovic Giuly.Giuly, 29, played in the Champions League Final but has not been a regular in the side and his lack of games cost him a place in the France World Cup squad.

The winger wants a two-year extension at the Nou Camp but has only been offered 12 months, which alerted Benitez."
ivor_the_injun

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun May 21, 2006 1:11 am

TBH I havent seen many of the names play regulary so I wouldnt really know, but I'm going to base my opinion on what I do know. For me the right winger I would choose from those would be SWP, simple fact is he is a talented, hardworking player. Plus he wont need any time to bed down in the English game which is a real plus for me. But realisticly what are our chances of getting him..... So maybe Pennant would be another good option for us, another player that grafts throughout 90 mins and a player that wouldnt go missing in an away game's in  early January against the likes of Blackburn, Bolton.
I think I would definately look at home first for a player, we will want to mount a serious threat on he league next year and having someone come over from sunny Spain to adapt to the game and culture could take at least a season. Not all players do granted (Sissoko) but most do, we dont want to carry any passengers next year so I think we need someone to come in and slot in without to much fuss.
66-1112520797

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun May 21, 2006 11:28 am

Sabre wrote:I think both Navas and Prieto, are better than Pennant. I'd sign up Navas while he's not too expensive.

good shout sabre, that Navas looked excellent vs Boro in the uefa cup final, and i have also seen a few sevilla games from La Liga on tv this year and the guy has impressed me. Lighting pace and a constant threat, he was tormenting Barcelona's left back in the last game of the season.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 73-1141222089 » Sun May 21, 2006 11:33 am

anti-hero wrote:He's been playing at FC Porto this season and is widely regarded as the BEST player in the Portuguese Superliga.

I'm not so sure about him going to the World Cup though. Portugal has a treasure trove of very talented wingers. Scolari has apparently chosen Ronaldo, Figo, Boa Morte and Simao to take to Germany. Unfortunatley for Quaresma, he's been pushed out of the national team because of the fact that Portugal just has too many wingers competing for two spots.

:laugh:  I wish Liverpool had THAT dillema.

Obviously, Quaresma is Porto's biggest asset and I don't think that they would let him go. But its Speculation Season so I might as well give my two cents worth.

IF Rafa does table a bid for Quaresma, my guess is that it should be in the region of 10-12 million euros. In my opinion, he's very very similar to Joaquin. He has the dribbling ability that has come to be synonymous with Iberian wingers and has the ability to complete "magical" passes.

But like all players, he has his faults - the unwillingness to drop back and defend once possesion changes hands. (Reminds you of someone doesnt he?)

He would be a great aqquisition for us, considering the fact that we are in dire need of a winger, and the other little fact that his transfer fee wont balloon because of his uninvolvement in the World Cup.

But I just hope that he wont be so "lightweight" in his game and be another contributor to the growing number of foreign imported flops we have in the league. :D

Here's with my fingers crossed.

if ricardo quaresma has fullfilled even half of the potential that I think he has..... he would be a great buy.... Haven't seen him play in a long while so I can't comment on his attitude or willingness to defend.....

But I remember my jaw hitting the ground with a resounding thud the last time I saw him play as a youngster...... He was THAT good....

Was extremely surprised that the Mancs went for the one trick pony, Ronaldo, instead of him.......

Something must be wrong with him if the big clubs have not come hammering on Porto's door......  ???

I agree with you that if he's on Rafa's shopping list, then I'm damn glad he didn't make it to the World cup...... :wwww
73-1141222089

Postby 007 » Sun May 21, 2006 1:36 pm

It looks like many forumers are rooting for Joaquin in this poll.

He did mention his desire to move to England. Maybe we could get Rafa to sign him up.

I think he would cost about 10-20 million euro but not a bad price for someone that WAS once considered as the BEST right winger.
Liverpool for LIFE

Postby A.B. » Wed May 24, 2006 8:59 pm

Giuly is staying at Barca.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill