Luka modric - Is he the first team player ?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby RedBlood » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:24 am

a week or so ago rafa mentioned in an interview we had all but signed a starting eleven playr for next season... is this the man?......

Luka Modric admits he is flattered at claims that Liverpool have made a move to sign him.

It was reported in England that Tottenham had made moves to try and land the highly-rated midfielder - who has also attracted attention from Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona in recent months.

But the Croat media, says it is not Tottenham, but Liverpool who have made a firm offer for the 22-year-old.

Modric will almost certainly depart Dinamo Zagreb in the summer and the battle to sign him is firmly on, with Liverpool reported to be heading the queue.

Dinamo want around £18million for their prized asset, who is rated as one of the most impressive young midfielders in world football.

At just 22 - Modric is already a lynch-pin of the Croatian national side who comfortably dispatched of England in qualifying for Euro 2008.

Flattered

Modric has now admitted that he is delighted that Liverpool could be interested in signing him.

"I don't wish to discuss possible transfers, but if Liverpool really want me, then this is fantastic and I am truly honoured," he told Vecernji list.

"I watched the Champions League quarter-finals and the way they crushed Arsenal. Only the greatest and the best can play such a match against strong Arsenal"

ive seen him play a few times and he looks a very good player, also hes young...

heres something i found on youtube :  http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=pGC3SZXPEh8
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:37 am

Hes the new Biscan.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NJD83 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:49 am

Yes I agree from what I have seen of him he does seem to be a very good player. But why waste 18m on a new center Mid when we have great young ones already, it is so clear that money needs to go towards full back(s), wingers and maybe a new CF depending on what formation we want to play next year.
NJD83

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:08 am

on wiki, it says that he plays the "Gerrard" role in a 4-2-3-1
JoeTerp

Postby puroresu » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:16 am

I hope so.  Very talented player
puroresu

Postby spion » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:23 am

Rubbish rubbish rubish. Why are Dinamo so desperate to offload this player. Spurs, Chavski & Manure have all been muted but all denied it. An unproven player from a Croatian team would command a fee of six to seven million at best. Pompey are more likely the destination if Krankiar leaves in the summer for Italy as is reported. Liverpool will not buy any central mids unless they sell. If you want to post thoughts who we might buy then a left & right back would be more likely.
spion

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:41 am

I know little about this guy but from what I have read he seems to be a top talent. On the question of "why buy another central midfielder" I am convinced that there will be movement in our current squad in the summer. However...if there wasn't then I'd welcome some in the Modric mould who could allow Stevie G to either be rested, moved right or back in beside Mascha, Alonso or Lucas

Having said that I also believe that Lucas' preferred position is in the more advanced "Gerrard like" role.

All for bringing in quality and I think this guy Modric is quality :)
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby VamosRafa » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:12 am

If we bring in yet another centre-mid i'll will be extremely :censored: off. Money needs to be spent on other positions.
VamosRafa

Postby bigmick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 am

I have never seen the bloke play to the best of my knowledge (other than the England game and I can't remember him from that) so I've no idea how good he is. Based on nothing more than gut feeling and intuition though, I have come to the conclusion that the story is utter b0ll0cks.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:31 am

If £18m is the price tag then it seems very high. Of course it very much depends who else we can get and for how much, proven quality does not come cheap. I'd like to see him at Anfield, however the price tag may be a bit much and we need a CF or two, a FB or two and a winger on either side which won't be cheap, to then spend anything over £10m might be asking too much ie we need to prioritise signings by need first, want second, back-up third.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:46 am

Very good player. Can play in Gerrards role behind Torres or can play in Kuyts role as an attacking right sided player.

Chelsea have been linked with him for a long time and in all fairness i do expect him to go there but if we did sign him it would be a very good signing in my opinion.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:18 pm

I loved the way he said we crushed arsenal :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:12 pm

I've seen this guy play all over the field, so he is not just another CM like some say on here.  I do hope that this is not just a stunt to jack his price up or something.  I think that he would be a great signing, he's just the player that we need because we've really been missing a playmaker these past few seasons.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:38 pm

Not worth if its 18 million , if its 10 million then okay , he's a foreign player and we're taking a risk , as joe has said he plays the gerrard role and if he does join i think we can solve our right flank prob and play stevie there
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Croat23 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:52 am

Hi guys,

I would just like to say that if Liverpool does sign Luka, he is worth every Penny.

He can play left wing, as he did play in most of Dinamo's games this year in 4-2-3-1 formation.
Right footer coming from left side can be extremely good. Ronaldinho in Barca(remember his best years), Kranjcar in popmey/cro squad, Modric in Zagreb, Zidane in Real/France, Messi coming from right side and so on....

Imo, his best position is cm/offensive midfielder (most similar position is Scholes' in Man Utd)

Anyways, cross your fingers that he will end up in Liverpool and not in Arsenal or Chelsea...well, I will at least...
Cheers,
Croat23

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill