Kenwyne jones

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:57 pm

A lot of stories everywhere at the moment about us getting him with Babel going the other way. We need a forward and at this stage ill take anyone but does Jones do it for you. HAs he enough goals in him?

This is what Aldo thinks

He said: “Let’s hope that comes true because we need a bit of fire power, especially in the next six weeks. That lad has done really well at Sunderland; he’s gifted, he’s only young and he’s a good player who can score goals, put himself about and is fantastic in the air.
“Apparently he’s fallen out with Steve Bruce, who’s a no nonsense manager, so it might be for the good and the player that he moves on and he could be a really good acquisition
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby centarec » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:11 am

I actually dont rate him . And i think he'll have the same attitude problems as Babel . But however considering our attacking options he might do quite well enough . Who knows
centarec

Postby Number 9 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:20 am

Over Babel gansta rapper?.............every day of the week
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:46 am

Depends on the price tag... Think hes a good player and offers a good target for the likes of Johnson and Riera, especially if we decide to go for 2 upfront in some games.

Ultimately, i dont think he's good enough for a starting spot when everybody is fit and firing. I think we need another top striker to play upfront with Torres next season (WOULD PUT ALL OUR BUDGET TOWARDS DAVID VILLAAAAAA) but i would think we'd be looking at a better player than Jones... Good backup nonetheless if the price is right.
Last edited by aCe' on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:41 am

I remember him playing at Liverpool (last season ?) when he was clean through with only the goalkeeper to beat. He didn't just miss, you could actually SEE his bottle go , and after that he was just a peripheral player who never looked interested in getting another chance.

Good athelete, great in the air, but very questionable if he could make the step up considering his mental weaknesses.
account deleted by request

Postby Raj_Xedos » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:40 am

personally, i have always been a fan, i think with the right coaching, he can be a very strong striker,

the difference between him and crouch is that he can header the ball......his foot-work is tidy and very effective......just needs to work on one-on-one dituations......guess nando can help him!
Raj_Xedos

Postby Johnny Boy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:39 am

Depends on the price, seen reports in the past putting him in the £20 million bracket which is way too much.
As a direct swap with Babel I would say yes, one of the things we missed so much yesterday was someone to hold up the ball - Ngog just wasn't capable of doing that I am afraid.

Daft thing to say but if Jones had been in our team instead of Ngog yesterday I think we would have won - last 20 minutes we were under pressure because our centre forward wasn't capable of retaining possession.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:35 am

Get him in and play 4-4-2....... He will do the hardwork (not Kuyt style but more like drogba's off the ball running...bulling of defenders)...and Torres will score loads.

He can also do a decent job as a Lone striker.

Get him in and send babel the other way before sunderland knows what hit them  :wwww
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Id take anyone as long as Babel is going the other way!!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 pm

no. not good enough. a poor man's Adebayor.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Greavesie » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:09 pm

we are poor
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:26 pm

aCe' wrote:Depends on the price tag... Think hes a good player and offers a good target for the likes of Johnson and Riera, especially if we decide to go for 2 upfront in some games.

Ultimately, i dont think he's good enough for a starting spot when everybody is fit and firing. I think we need another top striker to play upfront with Torres next season (WOULD PUT ALL OUR BUDGET TOWARDS DAVID VILLAAAAAA) but i would think we'd be looking at a better player than Jones... Good backup nonetheless if the price is right.

You would put all our budget on a 28 year old?  :Oo: As good as he is for that money id rather we go for someone younger, like maybe Aguero or Dzeko.

Also I don't think Villa and Torres play well together.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Greavesie wrote:we are poor

:laugh:  in more ways than one at the moment mate  :D
account deleted by request

Postby aCe' » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:47 pm

bavlondon wrote:
aCe' wrote:Depends on the price tag... Think hes a good player and offers a good target for the likes of Johnson and Riera, especially if we decide to go for 2 upfront in some games.

You would put all our budget on a 28 year old?  :Oo: As good as he is for that money id rather we go for someone younger, like maybe Aguero or Dzeko.

Also I don't think Villa and Torres play well together.

Ofcourse i would ! He just turned 28 and to me is one of the best forwards in the world today IF NOT THE best. He's brilliant at bringing others into play and is one of the best goalscorers in the planet.

I think eventually we'll need to switch back to playing 2 upfront simply because it makes winning and doing so consistently easier.
What i dont get is the whole 'Torres and Villa cant play together' nonsense... The played together in the Euros and Spain looked phenomenal when they did and went on to win the tournament. Villa has better vision and is the much better of the two when it comes to creating opportunities for his team mates and Torres provides the more direct approach of taking the ball and putting it in the back of the net.. I think the 2 together with Gerrard in any of the 4 midfield slots should have eough between them to provide all the attacking talent needed to go out and win the league... 

Realistically speaking, he is probably the best attacking player in the world we can get who would be available if we can manage his club's asking price.. I think hes much better than Ribery, Aguero, Silva, Dzeko and the likes, and at 28, still has plenty of football left in him..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Hmmm

We need a big powerful forward to come in and hold the ball up (it was evident yesterday that almost everytime the ball went up to Ngog it came right back) but Jones spends a lot of time on the physio table.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill