In for quaresma - Here we go!

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:27 pm

Benitez Targets Quaresma Next

Hot on the heels of Fernando Torres' arrival at Anfield, Rafa Benitez is looking to strengthen his squad further. Facing stiff competition from Atletico Madrid, the coach has turned his attention towards Porto winger Quaresma.

Rafa Benitez is seeking to avoid a second consecutive third-placed finish in the Premiership and in doing so is building a squad from the front.

Fernando Torres is now settled in as the new star striker at Anfield, and now Benitez will look for wingers and attacking midfielders. Apparently, Quaresma is his number-one target.

The Portuguese winger has been heavily linked with Atletico Madrid, but Liverpool are an outside bet to gain his signature. They've already allegedly had a £13.5m bid rejected, but are confident that an improved offer could change Porto's minds.

Atletico, too, have apparently considered an offer in that region, but also included additional payout clauses based on results and performances.

Quaresma spent a fiery season with Barcelona before sparking a feud with coach Frank Rijkaard over being asked to play on the left flank instead of in his more usual right-wing role.

Since departing the Nou Camp in 2004, he's impressed at the Estadio do Dragao, and often swapped positions to play on the left.

FROM GOAL.COM (??)
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:31 pm

I've seen some Youtube footage and my mate says he's a great player, I can't comment if he's worth £13.5m+ ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:37 pm

U do know Athletico have bid over £14 mil and are awaiting porto's response.

Quaresema is a fantastic player.  There are not many other wingers who have the ability to dribble past players like he can.

Atletico Madrid are closing in on the signing of Porto winger Ricardo Quaresma.

The Portuguese champions are asking 25 million euros (£16.9million) for the former Barcelona player, but Atletico have reportedly offered 22 million (£14.6million).

"We have made an offer to FC Porto to sign Ricardo Quaresma. At the moment, we are waiting for an answer [from Porto]," Atletico chairman Enrique Cerezo told Portuguese daily newspaper Record.

"If they [Porto] don't find it interesting, we will look for other solutions."

According to the Spanish newspaper AS, Atletico have offered the midfielder a four-year contract at three million euros (£2million) per year, doubling his Porto wage packet.

Atletico are in the process of rebuilding after finishing the Primera Liga season outside the European spots in seventh.

While top scorer Fernando Torres appears on the cusp of a move to Premier League side Liverpool, Los Rojiblancos have snapped up Diego Forlan, Christian Abbiati, Raul Garcia, Cleber Santana and Luis Garcia.
puroresu

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:29 pm

From the little i have seen of him he looks top drawer and exactly the type of wide player we should be targeting.
Its whether Rafa wants to spend that much, it wouldt surprise me if he did bid aroud 15 million for him. And if it was down to the choice between the two clubs i am sure Quaresma would prefer to play for Liverpool over Athletico.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite187 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:40 pm

we need him more then atletico!!!!!...come on rafa!!!!!! this is a signing we definately have to grab...quaresma is something special
Kopite187

Postby whylongball? » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:39 pm

his footwork looks familiar  :D
yeah we need s.o like him definitely
whylongball?

Postby roberto green » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:51 pm

i dont remember him playing for barca, but everyones reviews seem to be good on him, however i have my reservations, everyone said the same about garcia when we got him and even tho he was talented he never really set the world alight plus the portugese dive alot
roberto green

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:57 am

Glad to see his name + Mancini being spoken about again. This excites me as they are both excellent players (from what I've heard) and would add a lot to our squad. Get them tied up then Heinze + maybe 1 other (Centre half) and we are off and ready for the start of the new season!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby ckay » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:43 am

If he signs fo Athletico, he needs his head testing. He surely should sign for a great team like us and with Champions league football, Athletico aren't and haven't!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:54 am

I haven't seen him regularly, but i saw a couple of videos on him. He has a sweet right foot and speed. Very good player indeed.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:54 pm

footwork is very similar to c.ronaldo... how the heck does portugal have so many skillful players... anyway check this clip out... amazing goal by him...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZHEh4UAAwxM
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite187 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:15 pm

i woudnt say say skillfull players, but 'skillfull 'wingers'..

lol ive seen quaresma play a few times, he can sometimes slot a sweet freekick too
Kopite187

Postby Dimshen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:22 pm

ive been raving about this character for a while now, he's cocky and arrogant but very, very good. kind of player than can create something out of nothing and im glad we're being linked with him.

he would have been amoung my ideal signings this summer and i really beleive with him and torres arriving at anfield (along with some players to cover for centre back etc..) we can mount a SERIOUS challange for the title, these is the calibre we neeed to be aiming for people! woohaa!

:D
Dimshen

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:01 pm

I've also heard that he prefers a move to Spain because of the weather over there.

If that's true he can f#ck right off.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby puroresu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:03 pm

maguskwt wrote:footwork is very similar to c.ronaldo... how the heck does portugal have so many skillful players... anyway check this clip out... amazing goal by him...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZHEh4UAAwxM

There youth coaching does seem to be very very good.
puroresu

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill