Postby metalhead » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:10 am

For 5m I would get him.

For 10m, poor business IMO
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:22 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:FFS, he left 'cos he wouldn't sit on the bench and play second fiddle to Torres. Unless Hodgson is going to buck the trend followed by EVERY international setup and play 4-4-2 instead of another formation, there is NO place on the team for Crouch. Ergo, he won't come back...

No he didn't, Benitez sold him to fund the Keane transfer. We all know how that turned out.

I would welcome him back, there was no real footballing reason to sell him.

Wrong. Rafa asked him to stay but he refused, stating that he wanted to play week-in, week-out.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:47 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:FFS, he left 'cos he wouldn't sit on the bench and play second fiddle to Torres. Unless Hodgson is going to buck the trend followed by EVERY international setup and play 4-4-2 instead of another formation, there is NO place on the team for Crouch. Ergo, he won't come back...

No he didn't, Benitez sold him to fund the Keane transfer. We all know how that turned out.

Wrong. Rafa asked him to stay but he refused, stating that he wanted to play week-in, week-out.

I'm sure that wasn't the case. But I may be wrong, has anyone got a quote?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 am

bigmick wrote:If we do buy Crouch back, please lets not play him on the left wing. That was a resounding failure the last time we gave it a go.

40 mins - that's the maximum amount of time he played in a wide left role against Arsenal in CL . He started the game through the middle with Torres and Kuyt either side of the game after he had a blinder the game before . After ten mins it wasn't working so Torres went back through the middle and crouch moving to the left of him and finally being subbed for Babel and us going on to win . 40 whole mins
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:51 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:

I'm sure that wasn't the case. But I may be wrong, has anyone got a quote?

He turned down a new contract because he wanted to move to get more regular first team footy to enhance his England chances and he was stated as saying he realised his starts would be limited due to the formation Liverpool were playing and having to be back up for torres
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 am

Would definitely have him back.
He was shabbily treated by Rafa last time he was here.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:23 am

Benny The Noon wrote:40 mins - that's the maximum amount of time he played in a wide left role against Arsenal in CL .  40 whole mins

You obviously don't remember the "madness at the Majedski" mate, any more than you recall the "form of your life?, sit on your erse until it wears off" approach.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:30 am

People obviously don't remember not scoring enough goals - that's why he was on the bench as back up to Torres - he didn't score enough goals and since then he still doesn't score enough goals to be in the team ahead of Torres - now as back up then yes have crouch but at 10 mil ?! Would rather look for someone who has a longer future ahead and not comin into the twilight years of his career
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:41 am

Benny The Noon wrote:People obviously don't remember not scoring enough goals - that's why he was on the bench as back up to Torres - he didn't score enough goals and since then he still doesn't score enough goals to be in the team ahead of Torres - now as back up then yes have crouch but at 10 mil ?! Would rather look for someone who has a longer future ahead and not comin into the twilight years of his career

After the long patch at the start of his career when he couldnt buy a goal his record was decent.
Funnily enough Rafa seemed to pick him UNTIL he started to score goals.

Dont ask me to try and explain why like.
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:44 am

Didn't he pretty much play the whole of the first season he was with us then when more striking options were added he didn't start as much but still had his fair share of games but he never got into double figures in the league for us and didn't for spurs as well. . He would be decen back up but not at that price . We need to move forward .
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 am

Benny The Noon wrote:Didn't he pretty much play the whole of the first season he was with us then when more striking options were added he didn't start as much but still had his fair share of games but he never got into double figures in the league for us and didn't for spurs as well. . He would be decen back up but not at that price . We need to move forward .

The season after we won the FA cup (when he was brilliant) he was fecked off for lone striker deadly Derek.
Even in the champions league final a full back got on before him when we were behind.
Ben Patrick

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:53 am

He finished top scorer in his final season here (18 goals), his hattrick against Arsenal the pick of the bunch.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:54 am

Maybe that's because lone striker Derek was scoring more goals in the league than him and I'm sure I read the stats and him Bellamy and kuyt all played around the same in the prem that season with Kuyt ending up our league top scorer that season .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:57 am

Anyway I think there are prob pages and pages of that old debate around somewhere and its in the past and now we need to look towards the future and IMO spending 10 mil on a striker who is coming up to 30 and didn't get into double figures last season despite playing 38 odd games for his club is a waste of ten million - would rather spend that sort of money on someone who has a bit more of a future ahead as opposed to last remaining years
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Anyway I think there are prob pages and pages of that old debate around somewhere and its in the past and now we need to look towards the future and IMO spending 10 mil on a striker who is coming up to 30 and didn't get into double figures last season despite playing 38 odd games for his club is a waste of ten million - would rather spend that sort of money on someone who has a bit more of a future ahead as opposed to last remaining years

Its not an old debate if he is rumoured to be coming back is it ?  ???
I personally think he would be a good signing regardless of age. He is proven already and had a good understanding with Gerrard.
He could be a very good option, i recall in his first spell his hold up play being very good. When you have Gerrard and Joe Cole joining the attack that could be a very useful weapon.
Ben Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill