Wigan

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Wigan's players are to personally refund Latics fans who bought tickets at the DW Stadium for the 9-1 hammering at Tottenham on Sunday.

Wigan took a large following to White Hart Lane for the defeat, the second heaviest in Premier League history.

"We feel that as a group of players we badly let down our supporters yesterday," said Wigan captain Mario Melchiot via the official club website.

"This is a gesture we have to make and pay them back for their loyalty."

Wigan are the first team to concede nine goals in a Premier League match since Manchester United beat Ipswich 9-0 at Old Trafford in 1995.

The Latics have conceded 13 goals in their previous two matches and now sit only three places and three points above the relegation zone with a goal difference of -17.

"There is not a lot else to say, just that as a group of professionals we were embarrassed by the way we performed, we feel it was below our standards and this (the refund) is something we feel we owe to the fans," admitted Melchiot.

"Now we have to draw a line under the game, focus completely on training this week and bounce back on Saturday.

"We are professionals, we will take it on the chin and move on but it's important that we do not take our supporters for granted."

Striker Jermain Defoe did most of the damage for Spurs, scoring five goals in the club's highest top-flight win.

Peter Crouch, Aaron Lennon and Niko Krancjar also scored and the unfortunate Wigan keeper Chris Kirkland scored an own goal.

Paul Scharner scored the Latics' goal.

The club has confirmed that every supporter who bought a ticket from the DW Stadium for the game on Saturday should contact the ticket office and a full refund will be offered to them.

Refunds must be claimed on or before Friday 4th December 2009.

"The players have asked me not to release details of the amount [they will be repaying] but they wanted to make the gesture," Wigan's head of media and publications Ed Jones told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Maybe it would have been different if it was a home game," he admitted.

"It was a shock to the system, they're professionals and they've been through a bit of a humiliation.

"The club is a small, family-run institution, we're all in it together and it has not been pleasant."

Wigan return to action when they host Sunderland this weekend.

Great Gesture
Benny The Noon

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Wigan's players are to personally refund Latics fans who bought tickets at the DW Stadium for the 9-1 hammering at Tottenham on Sunday.

Wigan took a large following to White Hart Lane for the defeat, the second heaviest in Premier League history.

"We feel that as a group of players we badly let down our supporters yesterday," said Wigan captain Mario Melchiot via the official club website.

"This is a gesture we have to make and pay them back for their loyalty."

Wigan are the first team to concede nine goals in a Premier League match since Manchester United beat Ipswich 9-0 at Old Trafford in 1995.

The Latics have conceded 13 goals in their previous two matches and now sit only three places and three points above the relegation zone with a goal difference of -17.

"There is not a lot else to say, just that as a group of professionals we were embarrassed by the way we performed, we feel it was below our standards and this (the refund) is something we feel we owe to the fans," admitted Melchiot.

"Now we have to draw a line under the game, focus completely on training this week and bounce back on Saturday.

"We are professionals, we will take it on the chin and move on but it's important that we do not take our supporters for granted."

Striker Jermain Defoe did most of the damage for Spurs, scoring five goals in the club's highest top-flight win.

Peter Crouch, Aaron Lennon and Niko Krancjar also scored and the unfortunate Wigan keeper Chris Kirkland scored an own goal.

Paul Scharner scored the Latics' goal.

The club has confirmed that every supporter who bought a ticket from the DW Stadium for the game on Saturday should contact the ticket office and a full refund will be offered to them.

Refunds must be claimed on or before Friday 4th December 2009.

"The players have asked me not to release details of the amount [they will be repaying] but they wanted to make the gesture," Wigan's head of media and publications Ed Jones told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Maybe it would have been different if it was a home game," he admitted.

"It was a shock to the system, they're professionals and they've been through a bit of a humiliation.

"The club is a small, family-run institution, we're all in it together and it has not been pleasant."

Wigan return to action when they host Sunderland this weekend.

Great Gesture

Not so much a great gesture but a minimum after that defeat.

I think after the run we're having our players should consider doing the same.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:33 pm

I think the manager there will be very lucky to see out the season.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:37 pm

bigmick wrote:I think the manager there will be very lucky to see out the season.

You've got it in for Spanish managers Mick :laugh:

Who's next on the list?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:38 pm

bigmick wrote:I think the manager there will be very lucky to see out the season.

Really ? Doing a decent job their after loosing his best player - got a decent team and has managed to beat chelsea - think he is a very intelligent guy who i think is going on to do well .
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:24 pm

:D No I haven't got it in for Spanish managers John, not at all. Some managers who come in though just give you the impression that they're going to be able to hack it, some don't. He doesn't have it for me, I think Wigan will be in a relegation scrap which they'll lose if he stays.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:42 pm

bigmick wrote: :D No I haven't got it in for Spanish managers John, not at all. Some managers who come in though just give you the impression that they're going to be able to hack it, some don't. He doesn't have it for me, I think Wigan will be in a relegation scrap which they'll lose if he stays.

Not sure about that mate.

Swansea played good football with Martinez in charge and Wigan play good football on their day.  He's struggling for consistency at the moment but I fancy him to turn it around.

They do have a bit of a soft centre though, I agree with you on that, so if they do somehow get sucked into a relegation scrap towards the end of the season I wouldn't be backing them to survive...

I still think the likes of Wolves, Portsmouth, Hull and Burnley are worse teams though
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:05 pm

Wigan are proving to be a jekyll and hyde type of team but there are worse sides in the Premier LEague
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm

I think martinez has done quite well seeing as he's lost his 1st choice midfield , valencia, palacios , cattermole . They like john has said play good football on their day and i fancy them to finish in the top 10 this season
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion