Whats going to happen to english football - 2010 – 2020

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:40 am

looking back over the last ten years and seeing how much clubs spend on players and new grounds it makes me wonder what the next ten years will bring.

What I am more worried about is the lack of British players making it into the top teams.
As a kid me and my mates would look up to players likes of Kenny, trevor brooking , kevin keegan but there were 100’s of other British players.

In today’s would it seems clubs not have the time to bring up a 14 year old  and stay with him until he is ready, today they look overseas and buy in the players.

I was teaching at a school just before xmas and the parents (that’s who I teach) could bring their children into the class with them.
Out of the 22 boys that were there 15 said they would like to be a top footballer but all of them said that they know they will never make it. I asked why, I was told that some of them were playing for big clubs right now,  west ham, spurs, southend, they told me that one thing they are now told is that they should look at lower clubs and use football as a part time thing, it seems even the big clubs feel that no british will make it.
This is having a knock on effect , Kids now spend more time playing football on the ps3 and xbox than out in the streets.

Another fear I have for our football is that its going to end up like American football, with the amount of money that is needed to buy players and build grounds and pay players the need foe advertising will get bigger and bigger.
Soon we will start to see individual players being sponsored with part of the money going to the club.

Am I falling out of Love with Football ? no but I am starting to go and see a lot more lower league football, you know the type, were players don’t fall down every time another player gets near them, were players play on if they get the chance to shoot in the box.
That’s real football……..that’s English football.

So for the question.

Were do you see English football heading in the next ten years
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:03 pm

I think money or the lack of money is going to play a big part in the next ten years. The rich clubs will have to cut back on spending and the poor clubs will have to sell to survive. The league will be dominated by foreign players and standards will drop as more cheap but average players are brought over rather than the superstars like Torres.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:06 pm

Within ten years there'll be a salary cap in European football IMHO. Whether that'll be in the form of an imposed limit from FIFA as to how much in % terms of a clubs turnover they can spend on wages, or whether it'll be tailored to individual players is unclear. What is clear though is that they'll have to do something.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 pm

bigmick wrote:Within ten years there'll be a salary cap in European football IMHO. Whether that'll be in the form of an imposed limit from FIFA as to how much in % terms of a clubs turnover they can spend on wages, or whether it'll be tailored to individual players is unclear. What is clear though is that they'll have to do something.

but thats where the individual players being sponsored will come in, the big clubs will be able to get the big players as the players will know that if they are seen to be at the best teams they get a better sponsor deal
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:33 pm

I think we will see more megarich sugar daddies snapping up our clubs (ours included), wages and fees will just carry on rising and then the inevitable will happen!
A Euro super league of about 16 top megarich clubs, these new breed of owners have no sense of tradition, a derby game means nothing.
They want to see Barca v Juva etc, massive tv coverage, major advertising rights, super stadia
Probably cost about a ton to go the home games plus the cost of purchasing their own satellite channel to watch the aways.

On the bright side I think our grass roots football will flourish as will the lower league sides, and thats what will keep the game alive here until sanity returns when the novelty wears off (in about 20yrs)
teamleader1

Postby Sir Roger » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Football is a business
But its not really run like a proper business. Similar but not the same.
I see the fans taking a more important role in the decision making. I also see some type of revolution whereby young English players are seen as worth something and finally nurtured as the future of English football. There will be a lot of upheaval and bad times along the way but if it doesnt happen it will be the end of football as we know it anyway
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Richj » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:44 pm

A friend said to me the other day that we will prob see a club like Man City sue a Referee for a wrong decision in a cup final.
We will see United getting every decision in the league go their way as long as bacon face is there and we we prob still not use video replay's and over the line technology  :(
Richj

Postby parchpea » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Part of my hearts always with Liverpool but I myself got involved in Conference Football and its absolutely mint. Proper footy as it was back in the day and no fancy dans diving about. Aside from that you get a real sense of community, you can stand on the terraces with your muckers, and then even share a beer with some of the players and management in the clubhouse after.You cant whack it I promise you. For those of an age who recall what football used to be like then give the non league scene a go when Liverpool aint playing.Im sure many supporters have a local side they could follow given Liverpool attracts people from all over the land. Tell you what as well the standards decent because a lot of good players have been pushed out by foreign imports and its squeezed fair footballers down to Conference.Non league football is more vibrant and colorful than many imagine and you get real value for money.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:02 pm

I think somebody will pick the ball up and invent a new sport
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:13 pm

parchpea wrote:Part of my hearts always with Liverpool but I myself got involved in Conference Football and its absolutely mint. Proper footy as it was back in the day and no fancy dans diving about. Aside from that you get a real sense of community, you can stand on the terraces with your muckers, and then even share a beer with some of the players and management in the clubhouse after.You cant whack it I promise you. For those of an age who recall what football used to be like then give the non league scene a go when Liverpool aint playing.Im sure many supporters have a local side they could follow given Liverpool attracts people from all over the land. Tell you what as well the standards decent because a lot of good players have been pushed out by foreign imports and its squeezed fair footballers down to Conference.Non league football is more vibrant and colorful than many imagine and you get real value for money.

Went to watch AFC at the old cables ground, great night had by all, good game, great atmosphere and a nice beve in the clubhouse.
Also enjoy going the odd tranmere game.
teamleader1

Postby roberto green » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:20 pm

I think Leeds will score against the mancs that's what I think
roberto green

Postby roberto green » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:21 pm

Oh I was right

:D
roberto green

Postby roberto green » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Have to laugh at the Leeds fans with 30 mins gone chanting Fergie whats the score haha

:D
roberto green

Postby Avi Cohen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:32 pm

I'd like to see a 20 second 'multi ball madness'. :)
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby Fauxy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:26 pm

I think technology will be introduced into referees descisions but only to a small extent.

As for money I dont think there will be any kind of salary restrictions. Not anytime soon. Players will continue to increase in value and more and more money will be spent on them.
Fauxy

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion