Top clubs consider overseas games

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:09 pm

s@int wrote:No we stand up for what we think is right, not sell our souls at the first fkn offer. If we stand by and let this happen whats next, breaks every 15 minutes for adverts?

I have tried to explain but obviously I am not being clear enough. Its not a fu.cking league if you play one team 3 times, its just some other competition entirely.

If Liverpool or any other club don't go along with it, what the hell are they going to do then. Its not about being left behind its about selling out.

If they want to play matches abroad play a cup, not the fuc.king league.

The league has always gone through changes. Points have been altered. Goal difference. Promotion and relegation places. Play-offs etc....this is no different. It's got little or nothing to do with "selling our souls". Did we lose our souls when sponsors appeared pitchside or on shirts? No.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:55 pm

s@int wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:I don't think any of these foreign games would be played in Europe

And S@int, doesn't Scotland NOT play each team an equal amount of times? and the Dutch have playoffs do determine their European slots.

I don't agree with a random draw because luck shouldn't have anything to do with the schedule

But maybe people need to start being so idealistic and more pragmatic.  This extra game could add a lot of excitment and a LOT of money and from what I have read a decent chunk of it will go to helping develop young talent in England

What excitement would a meaningless game abroad add to the ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE. Nothing. Anyway I am just getting f.ucking annoyed now so I am off.

But would it be a meaningless game?  3 points and all that!  I just wonder how your supposed to fit in a game in Australasia, the far east, Western United States or even South Africa and then get back for an away tie to Utd or Arsenal etc.

Realistically I could see the Scandinavian countries and Eire going for it in a big way, maybe even other parts of western Europe but any further is just a joke.

TBH I would defo go and watch an Italian, German, Dutch, French, Spanish game if their federations were to propose the same idea, even teams at the lower end of their respective leagues.
PhiLFC

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:22 pm

where do these games get played? any in europe? what happens to the leagues that are meant to be playing thatd ay? do they lose out money wise?

also, we are 2 points ahead in the league, then in some draw we get drawn to play in sydney against portsmouth, whilst manure are playing derby in germany...

now travel aside, do we want the league decided possibly on the draw of a team against another?

just think it is a bad idea and it will never get off the ground
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:23 pm

GREAT IDEA - I'm all for this Liverpool and the other 'big' clubs have enuff supporters all over the world to fill the stadia, and let fans who dream of watching their team a chance to do that. The rest can tag along.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:31 pm

where do these games get played? any in europe? what happens to the leagues that are meant to be playing thatd ay? do they lose out money wise?

At the moment they are talking about the Far East, America and Australia.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:32 pm

I don't like this kind of paraphernalia. I don't even like it too much in summer friendlies, let alone if it gives points for the league.

Well, I hope that if Manchester must go abroad, they won't send them to USA, bring them on to Spain, away points are not cheap here.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:52 pm

The moment you take it outside of England, it's no longer an English Premier League game.

You wouldn't be exporting the 'product', because the product is the English Premier League.

Teams alone do not constitute the 'product'. The supporters do, the stadia do, the atmosphere does, the culture does, the climate does. That's what makes it so appealing.

You can't remove the essence of everything that makes an EPL game what it is, and still maintain the character and distinctiveness of the league. They are mutually exclusive.

It's a pathetic attempt at trying to make more money, when you simply don't need to go down this route.
LFC2007

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:56 pm

I think the proposal is to play in a warmer climate in the month of January.  The travel shouldn't be much of a factor because everyone will travel roughly the same distance at the same time, and I don't think they would do it if they didn't think they could get enough rest
JoeTerp

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:16 pm

Strange how it's now the ENGLISH Premier League or the "EPL"

I suppose all those "We're Not English, We're Scouse!!!" banners can be burned now.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:20 pm

It's always been the English Premier League.

It's nothing to do with Liverpool alone.
LFC2007

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:28 pm

LFC2007 wrote:It's always been the English Premier League.

It's nothing to do with Liverpool alone.

Has it?

Whenever I've seen foreigners use that term, British football fans have ridiculed them for saying it.

The game is moving on.

People have to accept it.

Liverpool have always been slow when it comes to taking advantage of business opportunities.

The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rob Sallnow » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:44 pm

Basically this is the Premiership prostituting itself.
Rob Sallnow

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:52 pm

The Premier League is an English league.

Just as Serie A is an Italian League.

The Primera Division is a Spanish League.

The Bundesliga is a German League.

This is not a business opportunity for Liverpool, it's a business opportunity for every other club and it's a business opportunity that we and other clubs need not follow.

It's the most commercially successful league in the world as it is and Premier League clubs play friendlies in these countries anyway. There is NO need for it, it's purely greed driving the proposal.

You can't export identity and character, you can't export what makes the league what it is, and to look at this from a purely commercial angle is rather clinical.

The game can move on, but this is a step too far, it resembles something the yanks would do, exploiting every way and means possible of making more money.

No thank you.
LFC2007

Postby Rob Sallnow » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:03 am

LFC2007 wrote:The Premier League is an English league.

The Premier League is a World League played in England but other than that I'd agree with you.

Beyond the money side of things it's going to intoduce strategies that generally only blight the domestic cup competitions....imagine: Man U are are leading the league by several points when they have to play Derby County in Melbourne while Arsenal have to play the best non seeded team of the time in New York...what kind of side do you think Fergie will send over there for the 23 hour each way journey....third or fourth string no doubt!! I bet he was contractually obliged to take the team he did to the Middle East for his £1 million earning exhibition game.
Last edited by Rob Sallnow on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Sallnow

Postby laza » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:13 am

Ludicrious idea, Premier league is already hugely popular in Oz and Asia, it doesnt need this logistical nightmare especially as its rich enough league already. Aussie rules football here in Oz does this sort of thing to try and get more exposure and its pretty much a waste of time as well
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion