Top 10 brit football transfers between rival clubs

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Fri May 15, 2009 1:13 pm

Top 10 British football transfers between rival clubs
15 May 2009 - 10:52:23

10. Rio Ferdinand: Leeds - Manchester United
Back in the days when Leeds United where challenging for the Premier League and Champions League, rather than losing scraps with Millwall to reach the League One play-off final, the thought of losing players to their bitter rivals from across the Pennines was anathema to their supporters. But, with the financial house of cards Peter Risdale had built starting to wobble, £30 million for the 23-year-old was an offer they couldn't refuse.

9. Lee Clarke: Sunderland - Newcastle
Clarke had trouble winning over the Sunderland public after his transfer from home town club Newcastle United in 1997 but as his new club stormed to what would now be called the Championship title in 1999 he was a key figure in that success, softening the resentment. All that changed when he was photographed at that year's FA Cup final between Newcastle and Manchester United wearing a T-shirt that bore the slogan 'sad Mackem :censored:'. He never played for them again.

8. Nicky Barmby: Everton - Liverpool
Everton's record signing when he joined from Tottenham for around £6 million, Barmby stunned a loving Everton crowd when, in 2000, he became the first player since 1959 to make the short trip across Stanley Park. Forced to pull out of two subsequent Merseyside derbies at Goodison Park he did manage to score against his former employers despite a less than successful time at Anfield, something that only reinforced Everton fans' sense of betrayal.

7. Dennis Law: Manchester United - Manchester City
There was little bitterness when Law was released by United in 1973 to rejoin City, the club he had served earlier in his career, though swapping red for blue still raised eyebrows. Law's split loyalties were best evidenced by the back-heeled goal against United on the last day of the 1973-74 season that he believed at the time had relegated his former club (they would still have gone down without it) which he marked with a sombre hanging of his head rather than celebration.

6. Wayne Rooney: Everton - Manchester United
Despite declaring via the medium of a T-shirt slogan 'once a blue always a blue', Rooney was happy to go in to the red in 2004 when United paid £25.6 million for the services of the Everton youth product. Rooney continues to be the target for fans' ire when the two sides meet and ahead of the recent FA Cup semi-final win for his former employers admitted that were he to go to the final to watch Everton it would have to be 'in disguise'.

5. Ashley Cole/William Gallas: Arsenal - Chelsea
Ashley became a 'c' word after he revealed in a book that he almost crashed his car on hearing the news that Arsenal were 'only' to offer him £55,000-a-week in his new contract and started agitating for a move. "I was so incensed. I was trembling with anger. I couldn't believe what I'd heard," he said. Chelsea couldn't believe their luck and granted the England left-back the riches he believed he deserved. William Gallas came in the opposite direction with mixed success.

4. Andy Cole: Newcastle United - Manchester United
Kevin Keegan addressed angry Newcastle supporters on the steps of St James' Park after sanctioning the £7 million sale of Cole to United, whom they had pretensions on challenging for the top honours, in January 1996. Cole had scored 55 goals in 70 appearances for the club and so Keegan had some explaining to do. He asked the fans to trust him and spent much of the money on Les Ferdinand. Cole had a difficult first season at Old Trafford but went on to win five Premier League titles, two FA Cups, the League Cup and the Champions League; Keegan won nothing.

3. Eric Cantona: Leeds - Manchester United
The enigmatic Frenchman was part of a Leeds side that claimed the last first division title before the age of the Premier League in 1992 but after Sir Alex Ferguson tempted him to Old Trafford he acted as the catalyst for the dominant force United have since become, all for the princely sum of £1.2 million. Voted the United fans' player of the century, he is less fondly remembered at Elland Road.

2. Mo Johnston: Celtic - Rangers (via Nantes)
Transfers don't come any more contentious than this. A successful player for Celtic in the mid-80s, Johnston had the choice of a return to the club following a sojourn in France with Nantes but, despite appearing at a press conference declaring his desire to do just that, he opted instead to sign for Graeme Souness' Rangers. A Roman Catholic and former Celtic man, it's fair to say he wasn't universally accepted, with some sections of the crowd refusing to celebrate goals he scored for the club.

1. Sol Campbell: Tottenham - Arsenal
After coming through the club's youth ranks, Campbell was Tottenham's best player and a hero to the fans. All that changed when he decided to move across north London in search of Champions League football. The pain of seeing the player join their most hated rivals was exacerbated for Spurs fans after Campbell ran down his contract to leave on a free transfer. Campbell went on to collect medals for fun at Arsenal, as well as a hefty salary, while Spurs were left with nothing but resentment and bile.

++

If Barmby had been better, I would agree. However.... much ado etc...
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri May 15, 2009 2:13 pm

Geoff Horsfield - guiseley to halifax :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun May 31, 2009 8:59 am

10. Rio Ferdinand: Leeds - Manchester United
Back in the days when Leeds United where challenging for the Premier League

I beg to differ regards comments on Leeds United selling druggie to the mancs. Leeds NEVER challenged for the Premiership. In fact their selling Cantona to the mancs sold with him their only hope of retaining the title. Leeds are a major factor in the current manc dominance, without Keane and Cantona you have to doubt they would have dominated quite so much.

LEEDS UTD

91/92 Old 1st Division/Top Flight Champions

92/93 17th
93/94 5th
94/95 5th
95/96 13th
96/97 11th

97/98 5th (19 points behind the Champions)
98/99 4th (12 points behind the Champions)
99/00 3rd (22 points behind the Champions)
00/01 4th (12 points behind the Champions)
01/02 5th (21 points behind the Champions)

02/03 15th
03/04 19th (relegated)

Never finished higher than 3rd in the Premiership, certainly never mounted a serious title challenge when they sold themselves into administration by borrowing £60m on the basis of Champions League money and success. Maybe had they done it just a few seasons later they might have gotten away with it.

Even if you disregard that claim of questionable validity, I don't think it merits a top 10 listing. He was massively overpriced at £18m to Leeds and even more so when the mancs forked out £30m for him. He is a good defender, one of the better ones in the Premiership, but not pivotal to manc success. They coped without him during the title run-in without stopping them winning and doing so with little noticeable consequence to their defence or its record.

Since druggie arrived at old twatford they have won four league titles, but also failed to win three in a row. I'd say the arrival of Nemanja Vidic was more to do with the manc resurgence, he signed in January 2006 and they have won three league titles since his arrival and reached two European Cup finals. Add that to the signing of Tevez and Carrick, and divingportugesecunt hitting form and that does more to explain them passing Chelsea again on their way to arguably fergie's most successful spell as manager

divingportugesecunt

03/04 : 6 goals in 40 apps
04/05 : 9 goals in 50 apps
05/06 : 12 goals in 47 apps

06/07 : 23 goals in 53 apps
07/08 : 42 goals in 49 apps
08/09 : 26 goals in 53 apps

So taking any credit away from druggie for the last three years, with the arrival of Vidic (physically) and the above arriving in terms of a significant contributor, and therefore finding other factors in their three league titles and two European finals, his signing arguably led directly to nothing more than the mancs' spell of one league title and no European Cups in FOUR seasons!  :laugh: "Massive"
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun May 31, 2009 9:24 am

And Cashley was a sh1 te transfer deal, massively over-rated player to go with his massively over-inflated ego. Not sure you can really count Chelsea as direct rivals to Arsenal, I'm sure they don't like each other, but until recently Chelsea were nothing and they're not exactly dominating now
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Sun May 31, 2009 9:58 pm

I love the way number 2 starts with "they don't come any more contentious than this."

Did Kevin Keegan compile the list. :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Sun May 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Unless SG pisses on the LFC shirt at a press conference announcing that he is joining Manure and has always supported them - Mo Johnstone has to be the number 1 - by an absolute mile.
Last edited by Big Niall on Sun May 31, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:12 pm

Kenny Miller HAS to be in there too...

RANGERS - wolves - CELTIC - derby - RANGERS

Crossing the Old Firm divide not once but twice!!  Crazy stuff.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:13 am

mo johnstone by a mile no1

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:32 am

Ace Ventura wrote:mo johnstone by a mile no1

As he said. The fact that he made all the noise to say he was joining Celtic, then joined Rangers instead. He was either a very brave man or a stupid one. It turned out, he was a lucky one.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion