Spudz squad now worth more than liverpool's?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:33 pm

I was tidying up one of my spreadsheets and it looks as if spudz' squad cost more than our's. I need to go back in and check the figures, but if true that is a bit worrying. It can be time consuming to come up with the most accurate totals given a lot of fees are reported/undisclosed etc. But with Berbatov £10.9m, Bent £16.5m, Modric £16.5m, Bentley £15m and a fair few players of the same sort of prices as a lot of our players, then it was always going to be close. Gomes was pretty pricey, Hutton and Bale not cheap and there are a fair few others costing around the £7m mark including the recent acquisition of Dos Santos.

If Kaboul and Malbranque leave it may swing back the other way, if they sign Arshavin and we have to sell before we can buy then we could end up with them starting the season with a more costly squad than our's for the first time in a long time if not ever.

Anyone wants to do the maths then feel free, I don't have the time now so when I will is uncertain.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:40 pm

Not being funny or nothin like Owzat but i dont really care about what Spurs have got or are worth.

Ill leave that to the Spurs fans to preside over im only concerned with what LFC are doing
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:47 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Not being funny or nothin like Owzat but i dont really care about what Spurs have got or are worth.

Ill leave that to the Spurs fans to preside over im only concerned with what LFC are doing

I don't think it really matters whether Spurs' squad cost more than ours. The difference comes on the pitch and I again expect us to be ahead of Spurs by some distance.
They manage to be one of the higher spenders most summers but come the following May the story is always the same, underachievers. They may have brought in some good players this summer but they were starting from a long way behind us.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jono » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:48 pm

while watch the Liverpool game last night they were discussin what we spent and sold, turns out we have only spent around 9 mill or somethin like that so far this summer

Pennant prob goin and Arbeloa, would probably bring in 9 mill
You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice
jono

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:52 pm

Owzat wrote:I was tidying up one of my spreadsheets and it looks as if spudz' squad cost more than our's.

One of your spreadsheets!?!?!?!? I know your our resident stato Owz but I didn't reckon on you having everything all neat and tidy in Microsoft Excel!!!!

How many different types of spreadsheet have ya got!?

Our very own Gordon Ghekko!
Last edited by Scottbot on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:04 pm

As for what Spurs have been spending, they've been spending pretty big money to win the league cup once every ten years for a while now. I know a few Arsenal fans who love pointing that out.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:05 pm

Jono - net spend is 14 mil at the moment mate

And spurs can spend as much as they want - will still be below us and scarp around for waffer cup spots .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:14 pm

Moved to Prem discussion. (Not that the topic is really that relevant) Its what you do with it that counts....  :p

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:23 pm

red37 wrote:Moved to Prem discussion. (Not that the topic is really that relevant) Its what you do with it that counts....  :p

And yet we seemingly can't compete with the mancs and chavs because they have more money. :glare:

Btw I agree its what you do with it that counts  :wwww
account deleted by request

Postby Owzat » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:28 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Not being funny or nothin like Owzat but i dont really care about what Spurs have got or are worth.

I don't think it really matters whether Spurs' squad cost more than ours. The difference comes on the pitch and I again expect us to be ahead of Spurs by some distance.
They manage to be one of the higher spenders most summers but come the following May the story is always the same, underachievers. They may have brought in some good players this summer but they were starting from a long way behind us.

Actually they have shot up towards us pretty fast, and yes it is relevant because we cannot be complacent and assume the big four will always remain the big four. Spudz are signing some pretty handy players, any club that has a squad worth over £100m is a potential threat, christ we've been overtaken by Arsenal in the league and their squad cost a lot less (about half at my last check)

As it happens they are still a few million behind us, there were a couple of initial glitches which I hadn't had time to check before I left this morning and have since checked. But they're reportedly lining up Arshavin which will make up the balance even if Kaboul leaves and isn't replaced, while we're reportedly with purse strings tied until Rafa sells in order to raise funds. And are people here not awake enough to realise we spent £30.3m on players and yet spudz have caught us up? Yes we sold a few million worth of players but so have spudz.

I think it's pretty darn worrying, plenty of fans on here bitch about us struggling to compete due to us having less money than Chelski and the mancs. Well now we're on the brink of being overtaken by the spudz in the money market, no good knocking them for lack of achievements since they had until this season been way off our spending. And knock them as much as you like, we're been caught out by the bitters, lids and barcodes in recent times. They've not had names like Berbatov, Dos Santos, Bentley, Lennon, Woodgate and Modric in their sides.

spudz finished fifth a couple of seasons in a row when we finished third, they had a bad season (in the league) last season and Jol paid the price, however I'd be happier if we'd signed Bentley, Modric and were on the brink of signing Arshavin than with what we've signed. I think marginalising this worrying proximity of other teams by dumping it in general discussion is rather subjective, it's no less relevant than discussing any other transfer activity. It relates to LIVERPOOL's spending, LIVERPOOL's players and arguably a few other aspects in terms of our title prospects and even our prospects of holding on to fourth.

As for "it's what you do with it that counts", LMFAO. I think we've a few more turkeys in our squad than spudz at the moment, they offloaded all of their's to the other Keane
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:46 pm

Scottbot wrote:As for what Spurs have been spending, they've been spending pretty big money to win the league cup once every ten years for a while now. I know a few Arsenal fans who love pointing that out.

Who won a trophy last season and who ended potless?

You're talking about the past, they've been down around the mark of Arsenal for a fair few years, but I think Rebrov was their record until they signed Bent and later Modric, now they could sign Arshavin for £19m and more the fool who doesn't consider a team signing some pretty good players as a threat.

Arsenal fans would use anything to have digs at their rivals, same as the bitters love to. They won the Carling Cup back in what 1998/99 (yes, I have spreadsheets and they help find facts out very quickly and compile stats quicker) In 1998/99 Liverpool's most expensive XI cost £28.15m while spudz' cost £28.60m. Back then it would be fair to say they were a joke, I think they surpassed that joke status under Jol until last season. Liverpool quickly shot away from spudz, 00/01 our most expensive XI cost near £20m more than spudz, the season Rafa took over it was over DOUBLE and now they've nearly gone past us.

Some pretty good signings in this lot :

£19m Arshavin?
£16.5m Bent
£16.5m Modric
£15m Bentley
£10.9m Berbatov
£9m Hutton
£8m Woodgate
£7.8m Gomes
£4.7m Dos Santos (up to £8.6m in clauses)

Don't tell me they are cr ap players, maybe one or two expensive signings haven't worked for them, but I can guarantee you and plenty on here wouldn't mind having half of them. They've got a new manager who knows what he's about, Sevilla were no mugs under him and he won two UEFA Cups. I think the bigger Spanish clubs didn't take them lightly either
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:27 pm

some absolute pieces of sh!t signings as well. spurs will never be top 4, they just havent got what it takes. they spend loads but whohave they actually got? i think they'll be a good top 6 team tho but im not too worried about them yet
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:49 pm

dawson99 wrote:some absolute pieces of sh!t signings as well. spurs will never be top 4, they just havent got what it takes. they spend loads but whohave they actually got? i think they'll be a good top 6 team tho but im not too worried about them yet

To be fair they were very close to top four a couple of seasons back until there whole team got food poisoning the day before their final league match  :D

Hard to say how they will go this season particularly with so many personnel changes. Certainly they have got themselves a manager with a good track record now and they seem to have bought some good players. I hope to hell they don't sign Arshavin plus Pavylechenko will be another good piece of business if it comes off.  Saying that it does seem that they are now changing their transfer policy which for the last 4-5 years seemed to be based on buying up young English/British talent (Lennon, Huddlestone, Bent, Bale, Jenas, Dawson etc) in the hope that they come good. I know they have just bought Bentley (Who FWIW I think is overated) but i think Ramos will go after a number of La Liga players much like Rafa in the next season or two.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:27 pm

TBH nanny, we need to aware of what others are doing, as if we dont, then we become complacent.

which is probably why we aint won the league for such a long time

so in fact, owzat has a valid point in this thread which he raises quite effectively.

i would worry about the other big 3, but we should not become complacent over the others who wish to spoil our own little party!
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion