Andy johnson - Worth a punt?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby joko » Wed May 24, 2006 4:12 pm

not again "ordinary" strikers, we have had enough already
probably owen alone (being in LFC) scored more than total goals of our strikers last season

top class strikers please
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby GOAT » Wed May 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Nah not sure this guy would cut it with us, more suited to a mid table team
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby bigmick » Wed May 24, 2006 4:28 pm

He's a good player who I've seen a couple of times. He has though stagnated this season albeit in a very poor Palace team (don't be kidded by the fact they beat us in Carling Cup). The truth is that such is the paucity of service he has been recieving, it's really quite difficult to accurately judge his form.
Twelve milion pounds or anywhere near it though is clearly Jordan allowing his imagination to run away with him. I see that one team has bid 8.5 million for him and even at that I think he is a huge gamble. It's worth asking yourself just how well he would have to do in his first season for that to be considered a shrewd purchase. Given that he contributes little or nothing to build up play though he does admittedly chase down defenders tirelessly, you would be talking purely in terms of his goalscoring achievements. So if he scored 12 goals in the Prem from open play would 8.5 millio be a bargain? Not really for me. That number would have to rise into the high teens for the deal to be a success in my eyes. Will he achieve this? Well you never know for sure but my own feeling is that he won't.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Wed May 24, 2006 4:34 pm

Yeah, he could be worth a try if it wasnt such a huge risk but paying anything over about 5 million is too much of a risk for a gamble on a player
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby 73-1141222089 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:37 pm

Not worth the 8.5 million asking price that Palace has slapped on his head....

No point going into the details why as the rest of the posts here have more than adequately addressed this....

Keep the money and add it to the funds to get a REAL centre forward..... :D

Dean Ashton anyone?    :D ..... only joking.... before anyone jumps all over me.... :laugh:
73-1141222089

Postby joko » Wed May 24, 2006 4:43 pm

bigmick wrote:He's a good player who I've seen a couple of times. He has though stagnated this season albeit in a very poor Palace team (don't be kidded by the fact they beat us in Carling Cup). The truth is that such is the paucity of service he has been recieving, it's really quite difficult to accurately judge his form.
Twelve milion pounds or anywhere near it though is clearly Jordan allowing his imagination to run away with him. I see that one team has bid 8.5 million for him and even at that I think he is a huge gamble. It's worth asking yourself just how well he would have to do in his first season for that to be considered a shrewd purchase. Given that he contributes little or nothing to build up play though he does admittedly chase down defenders tirelessly, you would be talking purely in terms of his goalscoring achievements. So if he scored 12 goals in the Prem from open play would 8.5 millio be a bargain? Not really for me. That number would have to rise into the high teens for the deal to be a success in my eyes. Will he achieve this? Well you never know for sure but my own feeling is that he won't.

decent post actually, bigmick
but what we madly need now is a proven striker, who won't be another moro, or even crouch, or more prolific but also problematic in cisse.
i mean, if we had alikes of sheva or henry already in our pocket, putting your money in johnson would be just fine. striker buying this season is a transaction that you must not fail or else would cost too much throughout the season. but once succeded, it will be a massive boost.
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed May 24, 2006 4:54 pm

joko wrote:decent post actually, bigmick

It's damned nice of you to say so, I do try me best  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 24, 2006 5:00 pm

Ahhh, Andy Johnson...last season's Darren Bent.

Both are not good enough for LFC and they certainly don't justify the kind of money being talked about for either of their signatures.  Some chairmen need to get a grip! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed May 24, 2006 5:02 pm

According to BBCSPort, we've approached Feyenoord for Kuyt.

Johnson just isn't the answer to our goalscoring problems.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO » Wed May 24, 2006 5:11 pm

I would like to see us put in a bid for van nistlerooy he probably would get us 20 goals a season. Plus maybe Marlon King. 2 Seasons ago it was johnson who came up and did well, the season just gone darren bent, next season the same may happen with king. I don't see king as definately the answer but may be a good buy aswell as buying a proven goalscorer. Also i read on bbc 338 that we are interested in. viduka
ALONSO

Postby joko » Wed May 24, 2006 5:31 pm

viduka? aw, c'mon, he's even now been struggling for the first place in his current club  :no
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby deejay-cgt » Wed May 24, 2006 6:37 pm

he a good player but he wouldnt fit in at liverpool also the price for him fu*k that weve spent that on many forwards before and it been a waste. also he not the right quailty for us look at teams going 4 him bolton wigan and everton.
CgT

deejay-cgt

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed May 24, 2006 6:51 pm

crazyhorse wrote:OK. We all know we need a front man capable of knocking in 20 goals plus a season, and that a couple of our present front men will be leaving over the summer (Cisse, Pongolle and Morientes are most likely in my mind).

Robbie is capable of scoring plenty of goals but IMO he can only start 20 - 30 games a season in all competitions.

Crouch is a fit lad but not prolific.

We have gambled several times and payed 10 million plus for unproven PL players, and had out fingers burned - Cisse, Heskey, Diouf ect ect.

Andy Johnson would be available, Palace say they want 12 million but i reckon 10 would secure his signature, and we could reduce this still further if we threw in a squad player or two on part exchange.

He scored a lot of goals for Palace the season they went down, and was responsible for single handedly keeping hem in the hunt to stay up until the final day of the season. He is a proven goalscorer at PL level, and is a box player - a poacher who has the ability also to score from outside the box. I have watched him in the Championship this season and he is strong and has good distribution.

I reckon he would be worth looking at, compared with a lot out there we are talking about i do not think we could do any worse.

Discuss.

Ideally we would be able to sell Cisse, Morientes, Mellor, Pongolle and Le Tallec. And then bring in one top quality striker, or even a top quality first team striker force who compliant each other and aid the team as a whole.

But we don’t just need someone who can get 20 league goals, in all honesty I would be confident players like Robert Earnshaw or Robbie Keane could achieve that at Liverpool. We need a genuine all round striker who can be the focal point of our attack, he must know about defending, he must be able to help the team play, have awareness of all aspects of the game, and still aim for 20 league goals.

We are a strong side, but not an excellent side, I feel were at the point were only certain players will help us jump up a level. Someone mentioned that maybe were at the point were Rafa needs to bite the bullet and pay up the cash for someone he believes will be top draw for us, he did it with Alonso and I think it may be time again.

We could bring in Andy Johnson, he may score a decent amount of goals, but I think it would be the case that 12-18 months down the line we would be thinking about replacing him with someone who will take us to the next level.

He really isn’t worth the prices people have talked about, 5 Mil, 6 Mil if you push it. Don’t get me wrong, he is a decent player, but not sure he would be a long term player for us, I would much prefer is Rafa looked for someone who is  a better all round player who would not need to be replaced for the next 5 years.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby deejay-cgt » Wed May 24, 2006 7:38 pm

LATEST wigan £8.5 mil bid accepted look here [URL=http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=389687&CPID=10&clid=31&lid=2&title=Palace+accept+Johnson+offer
CgT

deejay-cgt

Postby coolsobs » Wed May 24, 2006 7:55 pm

This just goes to show the ridiculice overpricing of EPL players. You could buy players of his quality for half that in other foreign leagues. Kuyt wouldn't even cost that much. Almost the same amount as owens apparent "buy out clause"
coolsobs

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion