Silvestre - Man utd sell to rivals arsenal?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:15 pm

From BBC website...

Arsenal have signed Manchester United's France international defender Mikael Silvestre for an undisclosed fee.

The 31-year-old joined United in September 1999 and had one year left on his contract at Old Trafford, but has now signed a two-year deal at Arsenal.

He made 249 Premier League appearances in nearly nine years with United.

Silvestre, also linked with Manchester City and Bordeaux, missed most of last season with a knee ligament injury, but returned to action in April.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger told his club's website: "We have a strong squad but a young squad.

"Mikael's versatility, experience and calibre will provide the extra depth we need to reinforce our challenge for honours this season.

"His defensive adaptability will serve us well, and it's a big plus that Mikael has top-level experience and a great understanding of football in the Premier League."

Silvestre had faced competition for the left-back slot at Old Trafford since Patrice Evra arrived from Monaco in 2006, while Nemanja Vidic has established himself as Rio Ferdinand's first-choice central defensive partner.

He has become the first player to be sold to the Gunners by United since Brian Kidd in 1974.

Strange transfer and one I never saw coming.  Ferguson decides to sell to Arsenal, but a year ago he wouldn't let Heinze join us stating that he wouldn't sell to a rival.  I think Silvestre is past his best and Ferguson knows it.  I think Wenger probably kinows it too, but he's an experienced option, and a better option as back-up to Toure/Gallas than Senderos is.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:35 pm

Yeh, Senderos is a defender that every match I see him he makes at least a huge mistake, not good enough for a big club IMHO.

As for not wanting to sell us Heinze, do you think it's because emotions -- we are more rivals of them than Arsenal -- or because he feared us more as a club to compete for the league?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:39 pm

surprising transfer signing from Arsene.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:42 pm

Sabre wrote:Yeh, Senderos is a defender that every match I see him he makes at least a huge mistake, not good enough for a big club IMHO.

As for not wanting to sell us Heinze, do you think it's because emotions -- we are more rivals of them than Arsenal -- or because he feared us more as a club to compete for the league?

Probably 2 reasons Sabre...

1 - As you say, there is no doubt that Ferguson sees Liverpool as his biggest rivals, no matter who is actually closest to United in terms of league points.  But at the same time, Wenger is perhaps the biggest managerial rival that Ferguson has had over the years.

2 - I think ideally Ferguson would have wanted to keep Heinze.  He still rated him as a player, whereas I think he probably thinks Silvestre is not the player he once was.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:51 am

john craig wrote:1 - As you say, there is no doubt that Ferguson sees Liverpool as his biggest rivals, no matter who is actually closest to United in terms of league points. 

:suspect:
Very strange conclusion reached there...We've been nowhere near United in years (at least in the Premiership !). Can't think for one minute why Ferguson would consider us rivals....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Fabregas_4 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:42 pm

I think because of the Liverpool and Man u Rivalry thats why Fergie didnt sell Heinze to you guys. You guys will always be seen as a rival due to the close contest over the years.
Silvestre will do ok for us not bad.
Fabregas_4

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:19 pm

good move - for a baldy headed fk wit
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fabregas_4 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Aye I agree Lee not bad hey for a baldy lol.
Fabregas_4

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:26 pm

I'm surprised that arsenal signed a pensioner :D , but he's a good back up to have for clichy and gallas as well as toure , far better than senderos whom i'm not sure why is he still playing for arsenal  . I think arsenal could move toure to right back and play silvestre and gallas in the middle .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:58 am

Might turn out to be a decent signing for Arsenal me thinks. Some experienced backup and if he stays injury free he still has a few years to play his part. Still a bit surprised Ol' Whisky Nose let him leave for a rival though, but there you go. Also interesting that Wenger is now able to play with a complete french backline, with Sagna and Clichy as fullbacks and Silvestre next to Gallas in the middle  :suspect:
JamCar05

Return to Premiership - General Discussion