Scott parker - Discuss.........

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby catenacio » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:20 am

i think the boy has "liverpool player" stamped all over him - passing, class, movement, honesty, engine...etc....etc....

1.   why didnt we buy him

2. have chelski been cynical (buying him purely to distance themselves from charlton)

3. Do you rate him ?

cheers
catenacio

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:37 am

1. Why didn't we buy him?

Because Gerrard Houllier is in charge. He is stubborn and refuses to accept that this current version of Liverpool F.C. is not FA Premiership Championship material. Plus, the board may not be willing to give him much more money to buy. His purchases have been weak. We need to strengthen the squad.

2. Have 'Chelski' been cynical (buying him purely to distance themselves from Charlton)?

To an extent. Another possiblity is that Ranieri/Abramovich bought this guy to cover the fact that Chelsea have bought so many foreign players. I feel that a team should have a core group of native young players that will develop into world class players and be the driving force of the team. It allows the supporters to feel a connection to the team rather than to a group of foreign mercenaries.

3. Do you rate him?

I personally do. He hasn't reached his full potention yet and if he can get enough games, then he will only improve in time. I personally admire the native British/Irish players that Chelsea have got more than I do the foreign buys.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby catenacio » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:45 am

wooooh steady on - makelele is the dogs boll##ks

otherwise agreed!!
catenacio

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:59 am

I didn't say that I don't like foreign players. But a mixture is needed with native young talent.

:)
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:42 am

1- Why didn't we buy him?

Agree with Manhatten - I think that GH is hoping our performances from here on in will vindicate his recent sighnings + i am not sure that the board are that willing to bank roll any more big signings untill the direction the club is heading this season. Also, with Gerrard and Hamman in the centre and Murphy as backup we SHOULD be a match for anyone!

2- Have Chelski been cynical (buying him to distance themselves from Charlton)

I don't think so, I don't really think Chelsea were looking over their shoulders in fear of Charlton. However, the fact that Parker will not be playing for Arsenal or the mancs next season is perhaps, a bonus in signing him. Personally, i feel Arsenal would have been a better match for Parker if he wasn't so impatient to leave Charlton.

3- Do you rate him?

Cracking little player. Not worth the money they paid but it's chump change to Roman anyway! Gets up and down the pitch, great tackler, good passer and an eye for goal. A poor man's Stevie.G but he will get better.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:40 pm

1- Why didn't we buy him?

GH probably wants to show everyone his other signings are going to pay off before he spends anymore money.  He probably would have prefered to go to Chelsea anyway and his deal with Charlton was they would give him the opportunity to leave if he was offered a place with one of the top three teams.  Where are we at the moment?  5th.

2- Have Chelski been cynical (buying him to distance themselves from Charlton)

No, I think they were just looking for another classy player to boost their attack.

3- Do you rate him?

Definately, one of the best young talents around.  He is going to be a huge star.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Owzat » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:20 pm

1. why didnt we buy him

Too expensive and probably not worth it

2. have chelski been cynical (buying him purely to distance themselves from charlton)

Don't know and don't care

3. Do you rate him ?

Not really, I certainly wouldn't pay £10m for him. He isn't even an established England international so I have to have my doubts. Impressing at a smaller club like Charlton has to be easier than doing it on the bigger stage(s)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:39 pm

1.  Why did'nt we buy him?
     Two reason s mainly  could'nt afford him, and I agree with Owzat.  He has'nt proved himself.  I wonder if he's as good a buy as buying Nicky Butt would've been.  Most fans will remember Liverpool ( think it was Souness) buying Stewart from spurs.   The guy was having a good season but he was'nt a good player, he never fitted in.  Parker still has a lot to prove, Butt has consistently proved Himself.

2. Have chelski been cynical?
   Absoultely, I think they are looking over their shoulder and if we were only preforming better they would have a lot to worry about.  In fact if dopey can get liverpool to be more consistant Chelski could bow to the pressure.  They're quite comfortable at the moment and  are benefiting form no real pressure.  They can hang on to Arsenal and Man U without any real pressure, no one really expects them to win the Premiership, If the othert two slip up the can close in further and believe me one of the top two will hit a bad patch.

3 Do you rate him?
Of course he's apremiership footballer and a potentially outstanding midfielder
but is he in the Class of the players he'll be trying to get on before, Well that remains to be seen.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:40 pm

1.  Why did'nt we buy him?
     Two reason s mainly  could'nt afford him, and I agree with Owzat.  He has'nt proved himself.  I wonder if he's as good a buy as buying Nicky Butt would've been.  Most fans will remember Liverpool ( think it was Souness) buying Stewart from spurs.   The guy was having a good season but he was'nt a good player, he never fitted in.  Parker still has a lot to prove, Butt has consistently proved Himself.

2. Have chelski been cynical?
   Absoultely, I think they are looking over their shoulder and if we were only preforming better they would have a lot to worry about.  In fact if dopey can get liverpool to be more consistant Chelski could bow to the pressure.  They're quite comfortable at the moment and  are benefiting form no real pressure.  They can hang on to Arsenal and Man U without any real pressure, no one really expects them to win the Premiership, If the othert two slip up the can close in further and believe me one of the top two will hit a bad patch.

3 Do you rate him?
Of course he's a premiership footballer and a potentially outstanding midfielder
but is he in the Class of the players he'll be trying to get on before, Well that remains to be seen.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:13 pm

The worry signs

- he hasn't got international experience
- he's never played for a big club
- £10m is a big price tag to live up to
- it will be hard to get into the team with such a large Chelski squad
- he isn't the first and won't be the last smaller club player to be built up like this (Konchesky is another Charlton player who was touted as the next big thing)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopper » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:25 pm

I think this will open the doors for a J Cole exit. SWEEET
Interviewer:       'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre on the right and occasionally on the left side.' (Man U)
kopper
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:30 pm

But at what price and who to? It is a joke, Chelsea are buying players at a ridiculous rate and obviously without much consideration. To buy a player and then be prepared to sell him within a season is just stupid. I still reckon the Chelsea squad is not much closer to winning the Premiership than we are, they've signed lots of expensive "name" players, but would any/many of them make our world XIs? They'll probably do until better players can be signed, but there wasn't that much wrong with their team to start with -

Cudicini
Melchiot
Gallas
Terry
Lampard
Gronkjaer
Hasselbaink
Gudjohnsen

and a few others to make up the XI
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:35 pm

for me i think on Paper they have an excellent 11.

Cudicini

Johnson
Terry
Gallas
Bridge

Gronkjaer
Lampard
Makele
Duff

Crespo
Mutu

I think they only lack a right winger to be honest. There squad is stupid tho and i think they are ruining the game. :(
115-1073096938

Postby Owzat » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:40 pm

I would expect a quality Italian or Spanish team to beat them over two legs and I still don't rate many of their players compared with Henry, Vieira, Campbell, Pires and Ljungberg for Arsenal and Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, Van Nistelrooy et al for manu (obviously some chelski players I rate higher but not many)
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopper » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:44 pm

But at what price and who to? It is a joke, Chelsea are buying players at a ridiculous rate and obviously without much consideration. To buy a player and then be prepared to sell him within a season is just stupid.

This is stupid and the fault lies at Ranieris feet, he lacks the ability to manage all the star players and keep them all happy. Real Madrid are masters at that. But I'm not complaining I dont mind picking up Cole for 'peanuts'. I wonder if Cole and Parker are getting along. :)
Interviewer:       'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre on the right and occasionally on the left side.' (Man U)
kopper
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion