Mutu - Mutu given seven-month suspension

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby the great one » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:46 pm

Sacked Chelsea striker Adrian Mutu has been handed a seven-month ban for a positive cocaine test.
An FA statement said Mutu was suspended for seven months "subject to completing a programme of education and rehabilitation".

He was also fined £20,000 and will be subject to target testing throughout the period of the suspension.

Mutu, 25, was at Soho Square for the Football Association hearing and had already said he will not appeal.

The suspension, which is a month less than Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand was given for missing a drugs test, is backdated to start on 25 October.

The ban will end on 18 May - meaning he will not return to action before next season at the earliest.

Former Chelsea goalkeeper Mark Bosnich was banned for nine months last year for cocaine use.

The World Anti-Doping Agency normally recommends a two-year ban but Wada's rules do not cover out-of-competition cocaine use.

The commission said it took into account Mutu's admission of guilt.

The fact he had already booked into a rehabilitation program was also expected to go in his favour.

Professional Footballers' Association chief Gordon Taylor said: "He is now looking forward to getting his career back on track.

"We are appreciative of the Football Association's attitude with the emphasis on education and rehabiliatation. We had a full and fair hearing.

"Adrian has admitted the charge in mitigation and accepted his responsibility from the very beginning.

"He's sorry for the problem that has been caused and wants to restore his good name."

Mutu had his contract terminated on the grounds of 'gross misconduct' under Chelsea's 'zero-tolerance' policy on the use of drugs, a decision criticised by PFA officials.

The Romanian skipper joined Chelsea from Parma in August 2003 for £15.8m.

Speaking before the ban was announced Victor Becali, one of Mutu's representatives, said: "We are not worrying about Mutu's future.

"We already received proposals from four clubs for Mutu, even without knowing his ban yet.

"Two of them are from England," he added without elaborating.

i bet chelsea are regret sacking him now hoping he will get a 2 year ban i would like to congratlate the fa on a fair descion although some may not agree. now rio knows take the coke and confess and is 7 months miss the test 8 months go to italy and take drugs 3 months  :D
Last edited by the great one on Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:08 pm

be interesting to see where mutu goes in 7 months, am i right in thinking chelsea get compensation if he stays in premiership?
probably turkey or italy i say
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:10 pm

just wondering who the 2 english clubs are... blackpool and spurs? :p
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:12 pm

dawson99 wrote:be interesting to see where mutu goes in 7 months, am i right in thinking chelsea get compensation if he stays in premiership?

well 2 english clubs are intrested in him current ukraine champions shaktar are intrested and galastrary you may not agree with me most will rpoably not rafa should take a gamble and offer him a contract when his ban finishes. if he leave england he will go back to italy
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:12 pm

dawson99 wrote:just wondering who the 2 english clubs are... blackpool and spurs? :p

arsenal and proably portsmouth or bolton they like taking gambles on footballers  :)
Last edited by the great one on Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:15 pm

id agree with u great one. wed have nothing to lose and mutu is a world class striker (with the right club)
i wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt us
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:13 pm

dawson99 wrote:be interesting to see where mutu goes in 7 months, am i right in thinking chelsea get compensation if he stays in premiership?

according to the news tonite, chelsea will get nowt, he will technically be a bosman free man after the ban
106-1093504160

Postby A.B. » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:24 pm

wed have nothing to lose

We have our reputation to lose. Could you imagine what the media would call us if we signed Mutu?
Last edited by A.B. on Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:29 pm

judge wrote:]
according to the news tonite, chelsea will get nowt, he will technically be a bosman free man after the ban

Too right,they had a cheek claiming they could get compensation.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:30 am

as if Chelski need more moeny, the greedy ******! :angry:
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:42 am

LFC #1 wrote:as if Chelski need more moeny, the greedy ******! :angry:

would this of happened if they never had the russian ? would they be so quick to get rid of lampard and terry no so they get wat they deserve.they cancelled his contract hoping he will get 2 years only to get 7 months rio must feel bad for missing the test now rio you know wat to do take the powder and get 7 months  :laugh:
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:00 am

A.B. wrote:
wed have nothing to lose

We have our reputation to lose. Could you imagine what the media would call us if we signed Mutu?

I think it all depends on how Mutu himself handles the situation. If he claims to be "full of regret over his stupid mistake" and guarantees to stick to the rehab-program; I guess it would be possible for a new club to make it look like they give "the unfortunate" a second chance.
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion