Henry to join barca... - Does this mean eto is free to move?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby ajaxs21 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:23 am

I wish that he was coming to Livepool instead but oh well I wish him good luck we will miss him alont.
ajaxs21

Postby lakes10 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:12 am

Samuel Eto'o looks like he is on his way to England, but we dont know what club he will go to. we dont even know if a bit of a deal has been done with Arsenal , 16m is a bit low for Henry and that make me think a deal might be on the cards.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:28 am

Well, he's just confirmed he wants out:

Henry confirms Barca move
By Ben Sullivan -  Created on 23 Jun 2007

Barcelona-bound Thierry Henry has spoken of his reasons for quitting Arsenal for the Camp Nou - and one of them is that he could not face life at Emirates Stadium without manager Arsene Wenger.

The French striker - who is set to move to the Spanish giants in a deal reported to be worth £16million on a four-year contract - told fans in an open letter published in the S#n his reasons for moving on.

Henry admitted the departure of David Dein and the continuing uncertainty regarding Wenger's future were the main reasons for his decision to leave.

"Arsene has been part of my life for as long as I can remember," wrote Henry.

"Unfortunately and understandably he has said that at this moment he will not commit to the club past the expiration of his current deal which finishes at the end of the coming season.

"I respect his decision and his honesty but I will be 31 at the end of next season and I cannot take the chance to be there without Arsene Wenger and David Dein.

"This is solely my decision, no-one has forced me to do anything and I will represent myself in this transaction. I feel it is something I just had to do."

The former Monaco man is looking forward to the challenge of playing for Barcelona.

"Barcelona are a wonderful club steeped in tradition and play beautiful football. I'm sure I will be very happy there," continued Henry.

"But I will miss the Arsenal fans dearly, they have supported me through thick and thin.

"They will always be in my heart, as will all the fans who make the game here so special. I will always have a special bond with Arsenal Football Club."

The Frenchman is expected to undergo a medical next Monday before signing a four-year deal at the Spanish giants.

"I still must pass a medical on Monday but yes, I have chosen Barcelona," Henry told French sports daily L'Equipe.

"I will sign there for the next four seasons.

"Nothing has been signed yet but both sides reached an agreement on Friday."
Last edited by el_stinger on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:46 am

lakes10 wrote:Samuel Eto'o looks like he is on his way to England, but we dont know what club he will go to. we dont even know if a bit of a deal has been done with Arsenal , 16m is a bit low for Henry and that make me think a deal might be on the cards.

Yeah right.

£16M is not low for a 30 year old.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:51 am

el_stinger wrote:Well, he's just confirmed he wants out:

Barcelona-bound Thierry Henry has spoken of his reasons for quitting Arsenal for the Camp Nou - and one of them is that he could not face life at Emirates Stadium without manager Arsene Wenger.

The French striker - who is set to move to the Spanish giants in a deal reported to be worth £16million on a four-year contract - told fans in an open letter published in the S#n his reasons for moving on.

Henry admitted the departure of David Dein and the continuing uncertainty regarding Wenger's future were the main reasons for his decision to leave.

"Unfortunately and understandably he has said that at this moment he will not commit to the club past the expiration of his current deal which finishes at the end of the coming season.

"I respect his decision and his honesty but I will be 31 at the end of next season and I cannot take the chance to be there without Arsene Wenger and David Dein.

"This is solely my decision, no-one has forced me to do anything and I will represent myself in this transaction. I feel it is something I just had to do."

The former Monaco man is looking forward to the challenge of playing for Barcelona.

"Barcelona are a wonderful club steeped in tradition and play beautiful football. I'm sure I will be very happy there," continued Henry.

"But I will miss the Arsenal fans dearly, they have supported me through thick and thin.

"They will always be in my heart, as will all the fans who make the game here so special. I will always have a special bond with Arsenal Football Club."

The Frenchman is expected to undergo a medical next Monday before signing a four-year deal at the Spanish giants.

"I still must pass a medical on Monday but yes, I have chosen Barcelona," Henry told French sports daily L'Equipe.

So is Arsene also going to Barcelona then, it would make sense if Rijkard gets the sack after loosing Barca the title. I think Arsenal could be in real trouble for next season!! I don't think we'll get Eto though, unfortunately I don't hink we'll get Tevez either. I'd be happy with Torres but we need good wingers that is the most important part.

One final point can people please stop this you can't be a real fan rubbish. Apart form the obvious wind up merchants everyone on this forum is a true fan, why else would they bother posting etc. Seriously stop this bickering it's getting very  :sleep
heimdall

Postby puroresu » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:33 am

Its a combination of things which make a club the 'biggest'.  I am not disputing that we have a huge global fanbase but do we have a global brand? No.  Even if u didnt include gate receipts Utd generate a lot more money than us. 

Celtic for instance have a huge worldwide fanbase and the money they turnover a year is amazing considering they only receive £2 mil a year in tv money but it doesn't make them the biggest side in the world.

As for Arsene Wenger, his never committed himself beyond a current contract and he could still be there after next season.  I think Rijkaard will still be at Barca.  Henry said Rijkaard was one of the reasons for him going to Barca.
puroresu

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:39 am

henry sounds like a little kitten... he's afraid of not having wenger and david dein with him...

not really surprising... he plays like a superstar only under wenger and for arsenal... for france he's very ordinary...

let's see if he can reproduce his superstar form in barcelona... until then I will always have a question mark on his true greatness...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:00 am

LFC2007 wrote:Numpty, I've seen you before

I thought you where AB at first and then maybe LA, do you have to disagree with everyone on here and be controvercial on a constant basis?
Over 1200 posts in just over a month I get the feeling weve seen you here before  ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:07 am

maguskwt wrote:

henry sounds like a little kitten... he's afraid of not having wenger and david dein with him...

not really surprising... he plays like a superstar only under wenger and for arsenal... for france he's very ordinary...

let's see if he can reproduce his superstar form in barcelona... until then I will always have a question mark on his true greatness...

What would happen to us, if the manager leaves us holding our d!cks in the wind like Wenker is doing to the Arsé? 1 year left and no hope of a renewal, star player's starting an exodous, key staff personnel leaving as a consequence etc, I would hope that the club would intervene earlier to stop a the potential disaster.

I would hope that the manager would see what is right and opt to leave the club if his heart is not in for seeking a longer stay. I would hope the club would bite the bullett and start to rebuild earlier. I would hope the club would say fúck off then, we'll pay out your last year, let us seek a fresh start with our playing staff, and hope to fúck they stay.

I'd absolutely hate it if a manager did this to us!!  :angry: glad its happening to the Scum though LOL
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Barca Murph » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:07 pm

This is a sensational transfer in my opinion. Alot of people think Henry isn't the player he once was, but i don't agree. He's been world class since the day Arsenal signed him, and nothing IMO has changed.

Eto'o has already told the club he's not leaving and Laporta has stated that neither he nor Ronaldinho are for sale. So i'm trying to get my head round a strike force of Henry, Eto'o, Messi and Ronnie :D

I'm also wondering if it's a strange coincedence Wenger won't commit to Arsenal with his current contract running out at the same time as Rijkaards. Maybe he's got Henry there this season at the thought of getting the managers job next season??
Barca Murph

Postby Barca Murph » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Oh btw, all this talk of largest fanbase is rubbish. Unless you can back up comments with facts it's just sounding like a playground fight. Mentioning someone said teams have x amount of fans is also not necessarily a fact.
Barca Murph

Postby Effes » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:38 pm

Effes wrote:Just got my 2007/8 season bet on:

Liverpool to win prem without Chelsea and Man U - 10/11
May shorten now with a Henry-less Ar$enal.

Will pay for my season ticket if it comes in :)

Odds are now 8/11 with Coral.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:11 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
puroresu wrote:3.  Its Barcelona, one of the 3 biggest club sides in the World.

Who are the other two then hey?

Probably Real Madrid and Milan.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:18 pm

As for the world fan base debate, I don't know the total numbers but I guess it depends on what part of the world you are. I'm pretty sure that in Asia ENglish clubs have more fame and fanbase than Spanish, and I'm pretty sure aswell, that in south America, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Brazil, Chile it's Real Madrid the most popular unfortunately.

This south american prefference is due to mainly south American players going to Spanish leagues from a long ago, the likes of Ivan Zamorano, the Brazilians Bebeto and Romario, the argentinians like Redondo... but that might change through out the years.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:38 pm

Sabre wrote:As for the world fan base debate, I don't know the total numbers but I guess it depends on what part of the world you are. I'm pretty sure that in Asia ENglish clubs have more fame and fanbase than Spanish, and I'm pretty sure aswell, that in south America, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Brazil, Chile it's Real Madrid the most popular unfortunately.

This south american prefference is due to mainly south American players going to Spanish leagues from a long ago, the likes of Ivan Zamorano, the Brazilians Bebeto and Romario, the argentinians like Redondo... but that might change through out the years.

I can vouch that in Chile its Real Madrid, especially because Colo Colo has the same strip colours. Colo Colo have about 75% of Chile's football fan base.

But, if your a leftist, you would tend to go towards Barca.

There are more Madrid supporters that I know in Chile than Barca fans.

As for EPL, recently had Gonzo in the team which boosted LFC's profile in the country. Now, they probably wouldn't give a rat's a$$, and vice versa I imagine.
Last edited by el_stinger on Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion