Good news if you haven't got sky - Tv deal legal confirmation

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 2520years » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:11 am

Premier League ends TV deal feud 

The Premier League has reached a deal with the European Union over the future sale of broadcasting rights.
The two parties had previously been in dispute but the EU has formally agreed to allow all 20 Premiership clubs to sell their rights together.

No single broadcaster will be able to screen all the available games - ending BSkyB's monopoly - and the rights will be sold in six packages.

As well as television, the deal covers mobile phone and internet rights.

These will be made available for sale in open bidding scrutinised by an independent trustee, while no one buyer will be able to buy more than five of the television packages.

"This decision creates legal certainty for the FA Premier League (FAPL) and our clubs as to how we sell our rights from the 2007/8 season onwards," said Premier League chief Richard Scudamore.

"It is also a good outcome for supporters, whether in the stadium or watching our broadcasts.

"The FAPL believes that the conditions are now in place to create maximum interest for our audiovisual rights and to take the world's most popular domestic football competition from strength to strength."

Rights for the live coverage of Premier League game will be sold in six packages.

"It is a good outcome for supporters," said Premier League chief Richard Scudamore.

European competition commissioner Neelie Kroes had threatened legal action against the League unless the Premier League opened up the broadcast market for live games.

And Kroes said of the agreement: "The solution we have reached will benefit football fans while allowing the Premier League to maintain its timetable for the sale of its rights."

The agreement will also cover broadcast sales arrangements for the next sales period up to the end of June 2013.

But if the Premier League break any of the agreements they could face fines of up to 10% of their total worldwide turnover.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:33 am

This is a stupid ruling when you think about it.

Some sh*te like Channel 5 will get the one package sky doesn't, and that means no fecker will see games UNLESS they have sky, due to p*ss-poor coverage for C5.

Daft if you ask me.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:09 am

I would have thought that most areas have got Channel 5 now.  It's a (tiny) step in the right direction anyway.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Return to Premiership - General Discussion