City to make a statement this evening

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:41 pm

Roberto Mancini in the crowd.

Taxi for Hughes.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:58 pm

unlucky Hughes
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Rockthekop » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Hughes has spent a lot of money but been given little time.

Rafa has had plenty of time and enough money.

Who would you sack?
Rockthekop

Postby Madmax » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:53 pm

both!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:05 pm

According to sky he's been sacked. Mancini in.

There'll probably be a different one in the summer.
LFC2007

Postby Madmax » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:22 pm

Mark Hughes sacked as Man City appoint Mancini manager

Manchester City have sacked Mark Hughes after 18 months in charge and named Roberto Mancini as his successor, with Brian Kidd as assistant.

News of Hughes' departure came via a statement, issued just two hours after the 4-3 home win over Sunderland.

The Welshman had been appointed in June 2008, replacing Sven-Goran Eriksson.

But despite spending heavily on the likes of Emmanuel Adebayor, Joleon Lescott and Carlos Tevez, results have not satisfied City's ambitious owners.

"A return of two wins in 11 Premier League games is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed and set," read a City statement.

"Sheikh Mansour and the board felt that there was no evidence that the situation would fundamentally change.

"This is a particularly difficult announcement given the personal investment over the past 15 months on all sides and we would like to put on record our respect for and thanks to Mark Hughes and we wish him the best in his future career."

Mark Bowen, Eddie Niedzwiecki, Kevin Hitchcock and Glyn Hodges have also left the club and further appointments will be announced in due course.

City currently lie sixth in the Premier League, having lost only twice in the league all season, and are through to the semi-finals of the Carling Cup.

They beat league leaders Chelsea a fortnight ago, ending a run of seven successive draws in the top flight, but suffered a crushing 3-0 defeat at Tottenham in midweek.

Now, despite a thrilling victory over Sunderland, Hughes finds himself out of work.

Under the 46-year-old Welshman, who had spells as manager of Wales and Blackburn before arriving at Eastlands, City won 36 and lost 25 of 77 games. Of their 16 draws, eight of them came in their last 11 Premier League outings.

They also spent close to £200m on players during his 18-month reign, including a record-breaking British transfer fee of £32.4m on Robinho.

City also paid out heavily for Gareth Barry (£12m), Roque Santa Cruz (£16m), Tevez (£25m), Adebayor (£25m), Kolo Toure (£15m) and Lescott (£22m).
Roberto Mancini
Mancini has frequently been linked with a move to English football

Their spending would have been far greater had they succeeded with bids for England and Chelsea defender John Terry, Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o and Brazilian playmaker Kaka.

Mancini, 45, won 36 caps for Italy and spent the majority of his playing career at Sampdoria before a brief stint with Leicester City in 2001 just before he retired.

He has managed Fiorentina and Inter Milan, where he won three successive Italian League titles and two Italian Cups, before being dismissed in May 2008.

Since then, he has regularly been linked with managerial vacancies in England.

Commenting on the appointment of Mancini, chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: "Roberto is a hugely experienced manager with a proven track record of winning trophies and championships. His experience and track record speak for themselves.

"What is absolutely clear is that Roberto believes in Manchester City's potential to achieve at the highest level and importantly in his own ability to make this happen.

"My hope is that our incredible fans will join us in welcoming Roberto to the football club."

Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager, said in his post-match interview that it would be "disappointing" if Hughes, a former team-mate of his at Manchester United, did part company with City.

"You can't build a football club in 18 months and one transfer window. You need a bit of time," said Bruce.

"I don't think anyone is surprised by these things anymore. It is ridiculous. You are not going to encourage any young person to try and take this up. What is the point?

"What are the stats? Managers last about 18 months in the Championship. It is longer in the Premier League, but that is because of the amount of time Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and David Moyes have been in their jobs.

"I am disappointed for Mark Hughes. Really disappointed."
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:46 pm

The fact that the Mancini was in the crowd watchin on is a fecking disgrace
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Jaysus. if Xabi was in the crowd during the week, does that mean he's on his way back ? :p

(Oh well, I can dream...)
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Dundalk » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:59 pm

Brian Kidd will join Roberto as assistant manager  :laugh:
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:02 am

Dundalk wrote:The fact that the Mancini was in the crowd watchin on is a fecking disgrace

There was some talk (probably bs) that he had been offered the job months ago. Not really surprising tbh.

City fans can't really moan either. They are richer than Real Madrid now but there is a price that comes with these owners.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:34 am

Dundalk wrote:The fact that the Mancini was in the crowd watchin on is a fecking disgrace

How exactly is that a fecking disgrace ?  ???
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby Dundalk » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 am

Festy wrote:

How exactly is that a fecking disgrace ?  ???

How would you like to go into work for the day only to be told you have to finish your days work and then you will be sacked. Meanwhile the "new guy" who will take over your job and has just started sits and watches you squirm your way through the rest of the day....

Not the nicest way to do things, Im sure youll agree...
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:53 pm

I reckon this is no doupt at all that  Mourinio would have been offered this job.. which means one of 2 things:-

1) He is happy at Inter and does not want to leave or
2) He has already agreed a new post somewhere else....?
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby aCe' » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:00 pm

For all the criticism i have for Hughes, i dont think he did that bad a job for them this season... Lost only 2 in the league so far, sitting very close to a CL spot having beaten Chelsea and Arsenal (twice) and drawing with Liverpool, in the cup semi final..etc

Having said that, they were always going to have to appoint a new manager if they were to realize their full potential and start seriously challenging for things... I think what happened was that the owners realized that their side was actually much better than what they thought they would be (so early on), and have decided to take the next step (which is obviously bringing in a better manager) earlier than expected..
Naturally, they would have been better off keeping Hughes until the end of the season and bringing in a Mourinho or Hiddink for next season with them being in the CL, but the fact that Hughes was unable to guarantee CL football for next season somewhat forced them towards looking at other options....

The only shame in the whole thing really is the treatment that Hughes got... As far as City are concerned i dont think anyone in their right mind would see this as a step in the wrong direction for the club.
Not a bad appointment i dont think, but it'll be interesting to see how the players and fans react to the new manager who will undoubtedly have his own ideas about the formation and transfers and so on....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:33 pm

aCe' wrote:For all the criticism i have for Hughes, i dont think he did that bad a job for them this season... Lost only 2 in the league so far, sitting very close to a CL spot having beaten Chelsea and Arsenal (twice) and drawing with Liverpool, in the cup semi final..etc

Having said that, they were always going to have to appoint a new manager if they were to realize their full potential and start seriously challenging for things... I think what happened was that the owners realized that their side was actually much better than what they thought they would be (so early on), and have decided to take the next step (which is obviously bringing in a better manager) earlier than expected..
Naturally, they would have been better off keeping Hughes until the end of the season and bringing in a Mourinho or Hiddink for next season with them being in the CL, but the fact that Hughes was unable to guarantee CL football for next season somewhat forced them towards looking at other options....

The only shame in the whole thing really is the treatment that Hughes got... As far as City are concerned i dont think anyone in their right mind would see this as a step in the wrong direction for the club.
Not a bad appointment i dont think, but it'll be interesting to see how the players and fans react to the new manager who will undoubtedly have his own ideas about the formation and transfers and so on....

I dont think he has done a good job there at all.
They are not in an awful position, but are still some way off the top despite united losing 5 already and Chelsea 4.
They leak far too many goals and he has spent massive amounts on the defence.
There was no need to get rid of Richard Dunne, he was club captain and is a good solid player.
He is a better actual defender than both Toure and Lescott imo.
They may have only lost 2 but they have drawn far too many.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion