City to make a statement this evening

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:57 pm

He did a reasonable job and I think it's ridiculous that he should get sacked at this stage in the season given the fact that they're still very much in the hunt for a top four spot. That was always the realistic objective. Fair enough they really ought to have beaten the likes of Burnley and Hull at home but equally they've taken out Chelsea, Arsenal and would have got something at Old Trafford but for Fergie time. They have hit a bit of a sticky patch of late but it was Hughes' first season at a club that had totally revamped its squad in one summer, you have to expect a bit of inconsistency.
LFC2007

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:33 pm

LFC2007 wrote:He did a reasonable job and I think it's ridiculous that he should get sacked at this stage in the season given the fact that they're still very much in the hunt for a top four spot. That was always the realistic objective. Fair enough they really ought to have beaten the likes of Burnley and Hull at home but equally they've taken out Chelsea, Arsenal and would have got something at Old Trafford but for Fergie time. They have hit a bit of a sticky patch of late but it was Hughes' first season at a club that had totally revamped its squad in one summer, you have to expect a bit of inconsistency.

I think reasonable is right mate.
I agree he didnt deserve to be sacked at all, it was really poor treatment of him.
He did a good job at Blackburn and as Wales manager so he is not a bad manager.
But he was always going to be replaced by a higher profile manager once that takeover happened.
I do think that despite the amoung of money spent the balance of the team is really poor and the two centre halves dont seem to compliment each other properly.
He should have kept Dunne for some stability imo just signed one of the two to partner him.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:14 pm

The sad thing is that even we struggled to break them down :( 

I think they need a commanding centre half much like we do. Toure and Lescott are good players but together they don't inspire you with confidence. I watched Villa at Old Trafford the other weekend and Dunne was outstanding for them, completely bossed the defence and made set pieces look a doddle. Just what City are in need of right now. Given their wealth why didn't they just hold onto him, even as a standby just in case of a blip, instead of selling him (of all clubs) to one of their likely top four rivals? He's a good quality, generally solid, experienced premier league defender and there aren't too many of them about.

I think City is a massive test for Mancini. Much has been made of his record at Inter but one of the three league titles they won came by default, because Juventus were relegated and AC had points deducted. With the main competition decimated, it was basically theirs for the taking for the second and third titles. You can only make the most of the situation you're in, and he did that with Inter, but you have to question how much of an achievement it was under those circumstances.
LFC2007

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:18 pm

LFC2007 wrote:The sad thing is that even we struggled to break them down :( 

I think they need a commanding centre half much like we do. Toure and Lescott are good players but together they don't inspire you with confidence. I watched Villa at Old Trafford the other weekend and Dunne was outstanding for them, completely bossed the defence and made set pieces look a doddle. Just what City are in need of right now. Given their wealth why didn't they just hold onto him, even as a standby just in case of a blip, instead of selling him (of all clubs) to one of their likely top four rivals? He's a good quality, generally solid, experienced premier league defender and there aren't too many of them about.

I think City is a massive test for Mancini. Much has been made of his record at Inter but one of the three league titles they won came by default, because Juventus were relegated and AC had points deducted. With the main competition decimated, it was basically theirs for the taking for the second and third titles. You can only make the most of the situation you're in, and he did that with Inter, but you have to question how much of an achievement it was under those circumstances.

Yeah i agree about inter. The competition was taken away and winning the league had an air on inevitability about it regardless of who is in charge.
They havent performed in europe at all under him or Jose either really.
So it will be a big test but he can go out and cherry pick the best players so i am sure he will do ok.
Totally agree on Dunne, decent player, solid, decent pace and one of the reasons i was bemused by his sale was the fact that he was captain and had been there so long.
With so many new faces coming in its good to keep a bit of stability.
Ben Patrick

Postby andy_g » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:37 pm

some of the wikipedia contributors have made an excellent contribution to the truth behind this story

:laugh:

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 pm

andy_g wrote:some of the wikipedia contributors have made an excellent contribution to the truth behind this story

:laugh: thats sound that.
Ben Patrick

Postby aCe' » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:19 pm

brilliant that...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:35 pm

"Along with Khaldoon Al Mubarak, Cook has seen the complete overhaul of the club's training base Carrington and scheduled a 2009 summer tour of the Moon where the squad met Marvin the Martian and played the Arctic Monkeys in the Vodacom Challenge."

:D  :laugh:
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion