Chelsea - General comments and pi$$ takes

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:18 am

Brian Moore: Peter Kenyon's vision of breaking even still distant for Chelsea

As football is not a normal business, Peter Kenyon's tenure as chief executive at Chelsea is difficult to assess.

The Times  16 Sep 2009

Peter Kenyon did little that altered Chelsea's caricature as nouveau riche and tacky. He reduced debt, increased income and according to those limited criteria, benefited Chelsea; but his rash promise of breaking even in five years was and is a distant dream and unlikely to be achieved any time soon.

The real difficulty is that it is almost impossible to assess whether the sponsorship and other commercial deals closed by Kenyon were attributable to him or whether the product that is now Chelsea sold itself and similar deals could have been achieved by any competent operator.

Similarly, was it him or the huge salaries he could offer that he brought players to Stamford Bridge?

On the corporate image side Kenyon has improved methods of communication via the club’s website and television station.

Chelsea are administrativelywell run and Stamford Bridge as a whole is a smart venue.

However, although Kenyon was an improvement on former chairman Ken Bates in PR terms, he did little that altered the club’s caricature as nouveau riche and tacky.

Even leaving aside the aspects of jealousy and biased criticism from those seeking to elevate their club by knocking Chelsea whenever possible, Kenyon did little to change that image.

Kenyon’s departure at the beginning of the season suggests there may be more to come on this one.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:22 am

Chief executioner Peter Kenyon's Chelsea fate was sealed after Luiz Felipe Scolari rowBy Charles Sale
17th September 2009

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon finally threw in the towel on Wednesday, having been effectively a lame duck since February, when he played no part in the sacking of manager Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Kenyon found out about the Brazilian’s departure while on holiday in Barbados. It was a huge snub for the £3million-a-year best-paid chief executive in the Barclays Premier League, who wanted the World Cup-winning coach to be given more time, and there has been widespread speculation since then that his days at Stamford Bridge were numbered.

Sportsmail was the first to report two days after Scolari’s departure that the isolated Kenyon — who had been executioner-in-chief of the three previous Chelsea bosses — would be a casualty himself sooner or later.

That day arrived on Wednesday, following what is understood to be one major row too many with Russian director Eugene Tenenbaum — the eyes and ears of owner Roman Abramovich at Stamford Bridge — before Tuesday’s Champions League game against Porto.

The sharp-suited Kenyon was his usual suave self at the match, giving no indication even to his close friends that he would be quitting less than 24 hours later or that anything was wrong with his running of Chelsea. Remarkably, nor had he on any occasion throughout his uneasy tenure during the last seven months.

But the differences with Tenenbaum and, through him, Abramovich — who wants a Champions League trophy above anything — were too many for a CEO stripped of the influence that title should carry.

It is likely that chief operating officer Ron Gourlay, who worked with Kenyon at  Manchester United and is already responsible for a lot of Chelsea’s business dealings, will step up to the top role, but without the title or the powerbase that Kenyon enjoyed before falling out of favour with the Russians.
Significantly, Gourlay, along with chairman Bruce Buck, represented Chelsea at last week’s Premier League clubs meeting.

The highly-ambitious Simon Greenberg, the Affairs Director since returning from a management leadership course at Harvard University, is likely to see how he fits into a Chelsea regime without close confidant Kenyon before deciding his own future.

Despite the Scolari fall-out being a hammer blow to his standing, Kenyon had continued to run the club on a daily basis, even concluding a new kit sponsorship deal with Samsung.
But with his powerbase marginalised even further at the start of the season, when Frank Arnesen was promoted to take charge of player recruitment, it was only a matter of time before his departure was announced.

That announcement arrived first in an email to staff, shortly before the news went public that he was standing down as chief executive — a post he had held for five-and-a-half years since his controversial recruitment from United — from October 31.

Kenyon told Chelsea employees: ‘I want to reiterate what a pleasure it has been to work with you all. We have achieved great things and you should all be proud of that.

‘You will continue to see me involved with Chelsea as I am staying on as a non-executive director. I am sure I will catch up with many of you over the coming days. I would like to wish you all the very best for the future.’

Kenyon’s new role sees him representing Chelsea on various UEFA and European Clubs Association committees, but that will be nothing much more than a cosmetic exercise and a way of staggering his undoubted pay-off.

His tasks will include leading Chelsea’s appeal on their FIFA transfer ban for allegedly inducing French teenager Gael Kakuta to Stamford Bridge from Lens in 2007, which is not believed to have had anything to do with Kenyon’s departure.

More likely, academy chief Arnesen, despite his growing relationship with manager Carlo Ancelotti, will be the fall guy if Chelsea are unsuccessful in their FIFA fight.

In a press release issued by the club, Kenyon said: ‘When I joined Chelsea it was an incredible challenge and, together with all the staff, the players, the board and Roman, I think we have really built a club in a relatively short space of time that can be in the forefront of European football for many years to come. I intend to take a little time off before considering what I do next, but I am certain I have at least one major challenge left in me.’

Buck said: ‘Peter has done a fantastic job for Chelsea and has been absolutely central to the success on and off the field we have had during that time. Without his football knowledge and business acumen Chelsea would not be where we are today.’

For all Kenyon’s undoubted achievements establishing ‘Brand Chelsea’, the most abiding memory will be of him — in the slickest of suits — leading up the Chelsea players in the Moscow rain to receive their runners-up medals after the 2008 Champions League defeat to

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport....K3s8ART
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:55 am

He may be a smart business brain and all that, but I always had him down as being a bit of a c... myself.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:58 am

bigmick wrote:He may be a smart business brain and all that, but I always had him down as being a bit of a c... myself.

Don't be sitting on the fence now Mick - what exactly are you trying to say ? Come on, spit it out...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:52 pm

Gourlay becomes new Chelsea chief  - BBC

Ron Gourlay has been named as Chelsea's new chief executive after Peter Kenyon stepped down from the post.

Gourlay, 46, steps up from his current role as the Stamford Bridge outfit's chief operating officer.

He told the club's official website: "It is a huge honour to be offered the chance to lead Chelsea."

Like Kenyon, he was recruited by Chelsea from Manchester United where he was commercial director of the club's merchandising department.

Again like Kenyon, he arrived at Old Trafford after working for sportswear company Umbro for 16 years.

Chelsea announced on Wednesday that Kenyon, 55, would be quitting his post, which he has held since January 2004, at the end of October.

He will continue at the club as a non-executive director, and will also continue to represent Chelsea in various capacities, including committee roles with European governing body Uefa.

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said: "Ron was the outstanding candidate for the job.

"It was not necessary to look outside as we had someone with all the necessary attributes inside which was important as it ensures continuity and a smooth transition.

"He has the total support of the board and (club owner) Roman Abramovich and both the football and business elements of the club will report to him.

"We are absolutely confident that he can now take us forward into the next stage of our development as a club and business."
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:29 pm

This guy just loves his name in the news these days

John Terry gagging order lifted by High Court 

John Terry's lawyers had secured the injunction last week
An order preventing the media from reporting details of England football captain John Terry's private life has been lifted by the High Court.

Mr Justice Tugendhat removed the injunction, taken out by Terry, which banned reports about the Chelsea star's alleged affair with an unnamed woman.

An interim order had been granted at a private hearing in London last Friday.

It had banned publication of details of the alleged relationship and barred the use of photographs relating to it.

However, the judge said the information was in "wide circulation amongst those involved in the sport in question, including agents and others, and not just amongst those directly engaged in the sport".

Justice Tugendhat said he thought Terry's real concern was the effect on his sponsorship contracts, in which case, payment of damages would be an adequate remedy if he succeeded at trial.

The judge said: "Freedom to live as one chooses is one of the most valuable freedoms, but so is the freedom to criticise".

There has been more prior restraint on freedom of speech in Britain than in any other democratic country in the world

Tom Crone, News of the World
Lawyers for Terry had obtained the injunction a week ago, after learning that the News of the World planned to write about him.

BBC media correspondent Torin Douglas said the existence of these so-called super-injunctions had become more widely known recently.

He said: "Lawyers for the oil trading firm Trafigura stopped a parliamentary question being reported by the Guardian, until its identity became widely known via the Twitter social network.

"This ruling recognises the right of media to report."

News of the World legal manager Tom Crone welcomed the decision as "a long overdue breath of fresh air and common sense".

"Over recent years, there has been more prior restraint on freedom of speech in Britain than in any other democratic country in the world," he said.

"Gagging orders like the one sought by John Terry have been granted to numerous other Premier League footballers and assorted celebrities."

He said he hoped the ruling would lead to "a fundamental reassessment of our draconian privacy laws".

A Chelsea spokesman said: "This is a personal matter for John Terry. The club will give John and his family all the support they need in dealing with it."

Terry, 29, married childhood sweetheart Toni Poole in 2007 and is the father of twins. He is expected to captain England at this summer's World Cup finals in South Africa.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:45 pm

Been banging wayne bridges mrs alledgedly .  Dirty ticket .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Should resign as England captain, the guys got no scruples, not a good ambassador for the country
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:01 am

Hes arl fellas a drugs dealer , his mam an his sister are shop lifters, and his mam and all likes a bit of scouse :;):and hes a  rent boy crackin family that,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:29 pm

john terry scores away from home
Fauxy

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:34 pm

He is obviously  more adept at slotting his team mates bird than he is at slotting penalties :;):
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:22 pm

and he shags fat frank.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 pm

John Terry's wife 'wants divorce'

The wife of John Terry, the England football captain, has demanded a divorce and fled to Dubai with the couple’s two children, it has been reported.  01 Feb 2010

Toni Poole, 28, has been left “humiliated” after details surfaced of her husband’s affair with Vanessa Perroncel, the former girlfriend of his England team-mate Wayne Bridge.

She flew out to the Gulf state on Saturday night after telling Terry, 29, that their three-year marriage was over, The Sun reported.

It comes amid claims that Terry had paid for Miss Perroncel, a lingerie model, to have an abortion after she allegedly became pregnant.

Friends claimed that the news was the final straw for Miss Poole.

The Chelsea player is expected to be summoned before Fabio Capello, the England manager, this week to explain his private life ahead of this summer’s World Cup.

Terry had tried to block the reporting of the affair but the injunction was revoked on Friday.

One source close to the couple told The Sun: "Toni has simply had enough. She's had just about as much humiliation as she can bear.

"She has told John in no uncertain terms she wants a divorce.”

The newspaper also reported that Miss Poole is considering hiring Fiona Shackleton, the divorce lawyer who has previously represented Sir Paul McCartney and Madonna in their divorce battles.

Miss Poole has gone to Dubai – where she and her husband spent their honeymoon in 2007 – with their three-year-old twins Georgie John and Summer Rose, and her mother Sue Poole.

Terry allegedly paid for Miss Perroncel to have a termination at a private clinic last autumn, after her separation from Bridge.

She and Terry began an affair in September, it has been claimed, and used to meet at her house only a few miles from his family home in Oxshott, Surrey.

His agent Paul Nicholls was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Terry, who was voted Dad of the Year in a poll in 2009, has a history of questionable behaviour.

Four years ago he apologised his now wife for being unfaithful and was quoted saying: “I’ve misbehaved and slept with girls behind her back.

“I’m not going to cheat on her ever again and I want to marry her more than anything.”

In 2001, he was fined two weeks’ wages after being accused of drunkenly mocking American tourists at Heathrow in the wake of the 9/11 attacks.

In January 2002, he was arrested after a fracas in a London nightclub and later cleared of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Miss Perroncel, a 33-year-old French born lingerie model, had a three year relationship with Bridge which ended last summer and the couple have a son, Jaydon.

She said at the weekend: “Wayne rang me last weekend and started shouting at me and accused me of having an affair.

“It was terrible, he was saying horrible things. Wayne was convinced I had been cheating on him because the court action was taken.

“It was an agonising call and he was furious.”

Miss Perroncel has now employed the publicist Max Clifford, who said his client was upset about the apparent leaking of information.

“She is upset and desperate to know where all this stuff is coming from,” he said.

“There are things in there that she is not happy about and she said were totally untrue.”

He said he was meeting with Miss Perroncel last night to decide what she should do.

Her former partner Bridge, who now plays for Manchester City, released a brief statement through his lawyers.

“The reports deal with matters that are of a deeply personal and private nature,” he said.

“My primary concern is the welfare of my son. Therefore, I intend to make no comment whatsoever.”

Terry, who scored the winning goal in a match against Burnley on Saturday, was backed by Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti who said: “There is no discussion about this. He is captain and he will be captain.”

However, support from sponsors such as Umbro and Samsung has been less forthcoming.

Terry is believed to earn up to £10 million a year from his sponsorship deals and his £170,000 a week contract with Chelsea.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dinger » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:56 pm

John Terry had sex with octopus

JOHN Terry's future as England captain was on a knife-edge last night after it emerged he had sex with a 12-foot octopus.

Terry broke at least two of its three hearts
The England and Chelsea skipper refused to deny the fling with the eight-legged sea creature amid claims he also paid for it to abort their ink-filled, mutant love baby.

According to friends of the millionaire footballer the sex happened when Terry and two of his Chelsea team-mates took part in an all-day drinking session at the Sea Life Centre in Great Yarmouth.

One source said: "By two in the afternoon John was getting aggressive and saying he wanted to fight an electric eel, but then he changed his mind and decided to urinate into a child's face instead.

"The other lads picked out this little seven year-old and were holding its arms, when John suddenly spotted the octopus and got that familiar look in his eye.

"He bought two glasses of Cristal, poured one into the tank and then pressed his face up against the glass, shouting 'you probably recognise me'.

"Then he jumped into the tank, took its leg-arm thing and led it into the corner behind the plastic coral reef where he had sex with it twice. I don't even know if it's a male or a female and, I suspect, neither does he."

The source added: "Should he resign? I'm not sure. On the one hand he is quite good at shouting while he's playing football, but on the other hand he may have had gay sex with a drunken octopus."

Meanwhile a survey of English boys aged between six and 14 has revealed that more than 80% now want to cheat on their wives with the long-term octopus of a close friend or team-mate, but only if they can then pay for it to have an abortion.

A spokesman for the Professional Sportsman's Association said: "John needs to consider his position very carefully because it is hugely important who captains the England football team."
Dinger

Postby Dundalk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Should be stripped of the England captaincy........but it wont happen
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion