Chelsea - Dodgy dealings?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:32 am

Liverpool have been alerted with the news that Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has jetted out to Portugal along with manager Jose Mourinho. 

Both men joined Roman Abramovich at last night's European Championships Group B game between England and Croatia and speculation obviously started during the live broadcast as to why they were there and that obviously centered on Steven Gerrard.

Abramovich has a couple of his yachts berthed out there while he takes the finals in but reports over here in the UK claim that he has summoned his Mr Fix-it (Kenyon) out there to try and sound Gerrard out about a possible summer move to Stamford Bridge.

Officials at Anfield are monitoring the situation very closely and if there is any proof that an illegal approach has already been made or is made during the rest of the tournament - either directly or indirectly - the sh*t will well and truly hit the fan.

The player has refused to talk about club matters during the tournament despite the concerns back home that he could be on his way. The Wallet (Rick Parry) has admitted that the club skipper isn't happy but has stressed he will do all he can to keep him at Anfield. Rafael Benitez has said that he thinks Gerrard will stay after holding talks with him out in Portugal and former boss Gerard Houllier has urged his former skipper to ignore the lure of Chelsea's millions. That's about it in a nutshell.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:09 am

Also the guy pictured behind Roman, Kenyon and Jose was in fact Stevie Gerrards agent, I think his name is Murray (or something scottish).
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 am

tipical ****** agent sniffing like a whore around the money.

he wants a slap cause unless he has a player already at chelsea that would constitute an illegal approach to me.

Sven should take all mobile off the players and only let them call family from 1 used by all the players that would stop this ****** in it's tracks.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:12 am

I cant believe the cameras on them its like a Chelsea conspiracy oh look its Roman wonder who he will buy next.

That Kenyon is poison I cant stand him

Its obvious why they are out there but everybody seems to be turning a blind eye.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:01 pm

i f#cking hate chelsea. if i was at liverpool i would tell chelsea exactly where to stick their money. it's farcical the way that kenyon and his cronies are hovering around like vultures just picking off the best available players. it's like a real life championship manager.

you can understand clubs like everton having to sell their most valuable asset for financial reasons. he will also become a better player as a result. but for god's sake, we are liverpool. we can't afford to sell our heart and soul. what sort of intent does that send out to everyone else?

:(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:14 pm

BBC teletext report this morning that Kenyon and Mourinho have admitted to BBC that they are keen on signing Gerrard.

They both said that they would "welcome Gerrard with open arms" if a transfer was "possible".

Chelsea are now laying their cards on the table but the final decision will rest with Gerrard.

I think Chelsea's statement is the opening shot in the war and the onus is now on Liverpool to make a publicc statement that Gerrard is not for sale.

My view on it is that while ultimately a top player can decide to leave his club regardless of his contract (remember Dwight Yorke's move from Villa to Man UTD?), Liverpool could put their foot down as a matter of principle and refuse to sanction a transfer. Obviously that would sour the relationship between player and club, but it would send out a strong message that Liverpool mean business and won't be bullied by their top players.

The club have been harping on for years about how they were burned by Steve McMannaman, so here is a chance to show their metal.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:16 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I think Chelsea's statement is the opening shot in the war and the onus is now on Liverpool to make a public statement that Gerrard is not for sale.

My view on it is that while ultimately a top player can decide to leave his club regardless of his contract (remember Dwight Yorke's move from Villa to Man UTD?), Liverpool could put their foot down as a matter of principle and refuse to sanction a transfer. Obviously that would sour the relationship between player and club, but it would send out a strong message that Liverpool mean business and won't be bullied by their top players.

i agree entirely. why have the club not already come out and said that he isn't for sale? if he goes then michael owen goes, it's as simple as that.

it's gross mismanagement on liverpool's part.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:19 pm

I see Evertons financial point of view but I cant stand commentators resigned to the inevitable oh Waynes going theyre more discreet with Gerrard dude to bigger club etc but this nonsense has to stop.

That prik Kenyon should be stopped.
Gerrard has been around and can/will decide for himself I dont want him to go but is what it is but Rooney albeit a great footballer is an 18 year old kid I repeat kid who is being looked after by a decent manager.

Everyone is talking about his move and at times it seems like people are encouraging it then saying we dont want another Gascoigne. How is dragging a kid in a huge transfer fee to London going to help him as a person.

I hate to say this but if England wanted Rooney to play champions league and be looked after as a human being then he's better off in Manure, but he hasnt played champions league so far and he aint doing bad.

With Gerrard he has now come of age and thats what galls me, Chelsea are playing championship manager in real life. If he goes he goes but what happens next year when hes not the hottest property around and somebody else is
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:41 pm

I think in this situation Liverpool shoudl take a leaf out of Everton's book and say that Gerrard is not for sale.  Chelsea can poke and pry all they want but Gerrard should stay where he is.  He wants trophies and thats understandable but how many trophies did Chelsea win this season?  None.  If it was Arsenal or Manure than it would be understandable (but stevie would NEVER go to manure!) in terms of trophies but not Chelsea!
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby jymbojetset » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:42 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Chelsea are now laying their cards on the table but the final decision will rest with Gerrard.

I think Chelsea's statement is the opening shot in the war and the onus is now on Liverpool to make a publicc statement that Gerrard is not for sale.

Agree totally as I've said elsewhere.

Feel onus is coming back to Stevie to make it known he wants to stay or .............
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:58 pm

chelsea are acting like a bunch of spoilt kids who have too much money in their pockets. they are prepared to buy a target and then just chuck them aside when someone else who takes their fancy comes along. look at scott parker for example. they're destroying the kid.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby XSD » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:15 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:My view on it is that while ultimately a top player can decide to leave his club regardless of his contract (remember Dwight Yorke's move from Villa to Man UTD?), Liverpool could put their foot down as a matter of principle and refuse to sanction a transfer. Obviously that would sour the relationship between player and club, but it would send out a strong message that Liverpool mean business and won't be bullied by their top players.

True, if we are going to lose Gerrard I would at least like to see LFC making it absolutely clear they know what they are doing and what they intend for Gerrard.
We can't just subservantly give in to whatever he wants or to Chelsea's millions.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:07 pm

2 things pïsses me off big time...

1) why is there no statement coming from LFC on this "rumour" involving our club captain? Is he not at all impotant to our overall scheme of things?
Judging from recent occurance, the board has acted very slowly and with very little transparency (eg, Morgan's investment proposal, GH's future, GH's replacement situation and now StevieG). This is a sign of weakness or there must be some serious monkey business going on behind the scenes.

2) What the ƒuck is going on if we send our players on international assignments only for them to be OPENLY poached by team mates from other clubs? To make matter worst, SGE actually came out and declare that Rooney should leave Everton to improve his game. How will you feel if you are the club who actually invested, trained and pay for the player's salary? Totally uncalled for. It's like leaving your kid to play with your neighbour and got thouogh bad habits.

LFC should immediately slap a "not for sale" sign or priced him at £50M+ and leave the spoilt brad to make his offer.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:15 pm

I think the reason Liverpool haven't come out and said "Gerrard is not for sale" is because:

1. Parry accepts Gerrard is angry after what happened last season and Parry knows that Gerrard is seriously considering leaving.

2. Parry feels that there is a small chance of changing Gerrard's mind and as such he doesn't want to say anything to the press about Gerrard until he has received a final answer from Gerrard.

3. IF and when Gerrard finally tells Parry he wants to go, Parry will tell the press that Gerrard is not for sale and try to drag as much money from Chelsea as possible, as well as protect the club and his own back from the fans' wrath and put the blame solely on Stevie's shoulders. However, if and when Gerrard tells Parry he wants to go Parry will have privately accepted that Gerrard will leave and he will only go through the motions of appearing to oppose the move so as to maximise the fee and protect his back.

I honestly believe that no bid has been made, no deal done, and Parry thinks there's a small chance of changing Stevie's mind, and that is why we have silence from the board at the moment as they try their best to get Gerrard to stay.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:17 pm

Kenyon is a bully and theres only one way to deal with bullies
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion