How much of a threat are chelsea this season? - Can they challenge?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Fauxy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Last season Chelsea suffered greatly from bad managment and alleged dressing room problems. Yet, they still finished third, only three points behind us.

If they had began the season with Hiddink it could have been a completely different story. They showed us they were no pushover under his managment and made it as far as the semi-finals in the champions league.

Now they have Ancelotti. He has proven himself a good manager in Italy but as Scolari found out, the premiership is very different.

They have a very strong squad already with a lot of strength in depth, and they have now added to it with Zhirkov and Sturridge, both quality players. They will also have Joe Cole back this season.

I think that if Ancelotti provides them with good managment this season, then they will title challenge.

thoughts peeps?  :upside:
Fauxy

Postby Espionage » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Despite a new manager I still think they are favourites for the title.

They are going to be very strong. Man United without Ronaldo and us without Alonso means that there are big shoes to fill whereas Chelsea have only really gained. Essian was a huge loss for them only playing a handful of games towards the end and Joe Cole too. They will both be like top quality new signings.

Will be interesting to see how Ancelotti goes... I just hope that the Chelsea manager circus continues because its all been down hill since Mourinho left.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:47 pm

depends on Ancellotti. Chelsea fans will have their minds made up on him in 10 games. They'll either be looking good or he'll get sacked. If he's sacked they won't challenge
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Madmax » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:30 pm

I think they are favourites.. If we buy silva or someone i would say then we are...
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:48 pm

They should without doubt be challenging for the title. They have a great squad and players that have been there and done it.
The african nations when they lose Drogba and Essien (f'ck Mikel he is sh!te and looks like a surprised moon) will be a test for them.
If they start well and the players get confidence in their new manager and some early momentum then they will be difficult to stop. We seen at the end of the season that they are capable of going on long winning streaks.

Yes they will definately be right up there and nobody would argue if they were made favourites at this stage.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Espionage wrote:Despite a new manager I still think they are favourites for the title.

They are going to be very strong. Man United without Ronaldo and us without Alonso means that there are big shoes to fill whereas Chelsea have only really gained. Essian was a huge loss for them only playing a handful of games towards the end and Joe Cole too. They will both be like top quality new signings.

Will be interesting to see how Ancelotti goes... I just hope that the Chelsea manager circus continues because its all been down hill since Mourinho left.

I agree with this. Whilst all the other three members of the so called top four have lost important players, Chelsea have kept their team intact (including the quoted important players coming back from injuries) and added quite a good player in Zhirkov. They'll definitely be up there imo.
JamCar05

Postby tubby » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:27 pm

They will always be up there challenging. The problem with Chelsea is they have pumped so much money into the club there is too much pressure on any manager. Hopefully that can work to our favour. I hope we don't draw them in the CL again though, fecking sick of the sight of them.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:f'ck Mikel he is sh!te and looks like a surprised moon

wtf  :laugh:  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Judge wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:f'ck Mikel he is sh!te and looks like a surprised moon

wtf  :laugh:  :D

Image Image

:D

Chelsea will be serious contenders for the title again...no question in my mind.  They have far too much quality to be otherwise.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Madmax » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:51 pm

I can't see the scums winning the league unless they buy some one worth mentioning. IF we get our act together and aquilai click then we should have a chance. Got a feeling chelsea could win it this season.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Well six games in and six wins says they should be considered a threat. But then one of their opponents is newly promoted, two came up the season before

Hull (h) - 2nd season in top flight
Sunderland (a) - 3rd season in top flight
Fulham (a)
Burnley (h) - 1st season in top flight
Stoke (a) - 2nd season in top flight
Tottenham (h)

Sunderland and Hull only just clung on to Premiership status last season, Burnley came up through the play-offs. None of those wins were staggering, maybe the margin vs spudz was impressive but that set of fixtures looks easier than our's did. I guess the main difference is Chelsea picked up wins where we stumbled
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion