Will chelsea make it again? - Upcoming season

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon May 01, 2006 6:37 am

Chelsea will find it harder again next season, says Cole

Reuters

London, April 30, 2006

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole believes the English champions will find it even harder to secure a hat-trick of Premier League titles next season.

The England international, a key part of Sven-Goran Eriksson's World Cup squad, scored a fantastic individual goal in a 3-0 demolition of Manchester United on Saturday to spark wild title celebrations at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea's second successive title was earned with two games to spare and the left-sided midfielder said the manner of victory had sent out a warning to their nearest pursuers.

"It was tougher this year than last year and will be tougher again. We wanted to put a marker down for next season just to show we were the best side this season," Cole told reporters.

"It was a magic day all round, even better than last time. To beat a great side like Manchester United is a great result.

"We have a lot of respect for them and they pushed us all the way this year. They have improved and next year are going to come back even stronger so we will have to improve again."

Cole's seventh league goal of the season was one to savour. Receiving the ball 25 metres out on 61 minutes he bamboozled United defenders Rio Ferdinand and Mikael Silvestre before racing through to fire past Edwin van der Sar.

His trickery and sublime finish had coach Jose Mourinho out of his seat punching the air in triumph but the pair have not always seen eye to eye this season.

HARD WORK

Despite some impressive performances that put him on the shortlist for the English Professional Footballers' Association player of the year award (won by Arsenal's Thierry Henry) his over-flamboyance at times has infuriated Mourinho.

In late December, after a 2-0 win over Birmingham City, Mourinho publicly criticised the player, saying "one more match like this and he is out".

Cole was also hauled off after 26 minutes in a 1-0 defeat by Fulham in March and was left out of the starting line-up for last week's FA Cup semi-final defeat by Liverpool.

"That's life at a big club like Chelsea," Cole reflected.

"We have four of us (including Arjen Robben, Damien Duff and Shaun Wright-Phillips) competing for two positions really and sometimes the manager will change it around.

"Whenever something has not gone right for me I've always come back, worked hard. I'm not the sort of player to sulk or get upset and that has always served me well."

Despite the criticism Cole has enormous regard for his manager, adding: "He's been great for Chelsea. Two seasons, two league titles, the League Cup and Community Shield is good going. His attention to detail is fantastic and he has good people around him."

Chelsea's league title was tempered though, Cole said, by disappointment again in the Champions League.

The Londoners lost 3-2 on aggregate to Barcelona in the first knockout round, the Spaniards exacting revenge for their elimination by Mourinho's side a year before.

"I think we are not far behind Barcelona and we're certainly not far behind the other Champions League semi-finalists," said Cole.

"In football you need a bit of luck as well as to prepare well and play well. Next year we will come back stronger and it could be our year."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon May 01, 2006 6:38 am

HAMPION GALLAS IN QUIT SHOCK
By Martin Lipton

WILLIAM GALLAS last night rocked Chelsea's championship celebrations as he admitted he wants to quit the club.

France defender Gallas has been courted by Italian giants Juventus to end his five-year stay at Stamford Bridge and make a move to Serie A.

Gallas, 29 in August and who has just one year left on his current Chelsea contract, said: "I have not signed anything with Chelsea and I don't know if I will stay.

"I am a man who wants to win everything and I want to do that in different countries.

"Maybe next season I will be somewhere else. I need to speak with the manager.

"In my mind I am confused because maybe I want to leave. I have been five years here and maybe that is enough?"
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon May 01, 2006 6:40 am

Chelsea eye big-name duo

By Tony Jimenez

LONDON (Reuters) - Chelsea, not content with winning their second successive domestic title, could step up the relentless pursuit of their Champions League holy grail by signing two of the biggest names in world football.

The club are already in advanced talks with Germany midfielder Michael Ballack and despite Andriy Shevchenko pouring scorn on the idea last month, media reports continue to link the Ukraine striker with a move from AC Milan to Stamford Bridge.

Frustrated by his team's recent Champions League failed challenges, manager Jose Mourinho looks certain to freshen up his squad in the hope of bringing ‘the cup with the big ears' to west London next season.

Chelsea have flattered to deceive in Europe's elite club competition since billionaire Russian owner Roman Abramovich took charge in July 2003.

The Blues were rated favourites when they reached the semi-finals in 2004 and 2005 but were surprisingly eliminated by Monaco and Liverpool respectively.

This season, Chelsea were undermined by the red card shown to Spain defender Asier Del Horno early in the first leg as Barcelona emerged triumphant in their first knockout round clash.

Another Premier League title success will not have blinded Mourinho to the fact his squad needs improving and players such as Del Horno, Hernan Crespo, Didier Drogba, Damien Duff, Arjen Robben and Shaun Wright-Phillips may be wondering what lies in store for them in the close season.

LOAN SPELL

Del Horno, a 12 million euros (8.3 million pounds) buy from Athletic Bilbao last June, has been in and out of the first team all season.

His position will be further undermined if England left back Wayne Bridge, getting back to form and fitness with Fulham after a long injury absence, returns after his loan spell at Craven Cottage.

Centre back Ricardo Carvalho, who followed Mourinho from Porto in 2004 could also be on the move after a public falling out at the start of the season and newspaper reports that Spanish clubs were interested in him.

Strike pair Crespo and Drogba have attracted criticism for not scoring enough goals while wingers Duff, Robben and Wright-Phillips have sometimes underachieved this season.

Mourinho, however, is keeping his plans close to his chest.

"It is normal you will look for one, two, three players to improve (the squad) and normally there are one, two or three players who are keen to make a move and have a new direction," the Portuguese coach told the club's website.

"It is normal what will happen at Chelsea in the summer."

Talks with 29-year-old Ballack, who is out of contract at Bayern Munich at the end of the season, have gone well. German media reports say a contract has been agreed.

"I would like him to come. In a very good team he will be a plus," Mourinho said.

"We already have a very good squad and very good midfield players. If he comes it is a big plus, if not we can survive."

Ballack, slotting in beside England stalwart Frank Lampard, might leave little space for some of this season's more fringe midfielders such as long serving Icelander Eidur Gudjohnsen or Maniche whose short contract runs out at the end of the season.

Mourinho can afford to be phlegmatic about signing the German playmaker, knowing if the Ballack deal fell through it would mean the vast transfer budget put at his disposal by Abramovich would simply be diverted elsewhere.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Mon May 01, 2006 12:42 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:The club are already in advanced talks with Germany midfielder Michael Ballack and despite Andriy Shevchenko pouring scorn on the idea last month, media reports continue to link the Ukraine striker with a move from AC Milan to Stamford Bridge.

greedie :censored:!
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby pur3 rav3r » Mon May 01, 2006 7:58 pm

joko wrote:
anfieldadorer wrote:The club are already in advanced talks with Germany midfielder Michael Ballack and despite Andriy Shevchenko pouring scorn on the idea last month, media reports continue to link the Ukraine striker with a move from AC Milan to Stamford Bridge.

greedie :censored:!

yeah lol :D
R.I.P to the 96 that lost there lives on 15th of april 1989
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"
pur3 rav3r
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion