Gazza - Troubling interview

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:45 pm

i just saw gazza on sky news, really messed up. i know some of you will just say stop drinking. however my dad is an alcoholic but he hasn't had a drink in about 40 years (some of you would probably think that means that he WAS an alcoholic), he still goesto meetings twice a week as you never beat it.

i think it sad the media give it attention. same with george best. I don't know whether there is a character deficency or whether scientists will spot some gene but I think it terrible that the media and some members of his family(who kept the surname when it suited them, as did george bests ex wife) tell their personal story to the press.

I probably slated him when he made flute signs playing  for rangers against  celtic (but i now realise how ill he was) and I wonder how many of the people (including well known english footballers) who thought he was a clown, help him out now.

I understand personal  responsibility but still feel sorry for him.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:35 am

Big Niall wrote:i just saw gazza on sky news, really messed up. i know some of you will just say stop drinking. however my dad is an alcoholic but he hasn't had a drink in about 40 years (some of you would probably think that means that he WAS an alcoholic), he still goesto meetings twice a week as you never beat it.

i think it sad the media give it attention. same with george best. I don't know whether there is a character deficency or whether scientists will spot some gene but I think it terrible that the media and some members of his family(who kept the surname when it suited them, as did george bests ex wife) tell their personal story to the press.

I probably slated him when he made flute signs playing  for rangers against  celtic (but i now realise how ill he was) and I wonder how many of the people (including well known english footballers) who thought he was a clown, help him out now.

I understand personal  responsibility but still feel sorry for him.

Its hard but after I watch that movie on him with his family he is a cu.nt end off drink problem isn't all off it he is just got a nasty streak.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:03 pm

Yeah true that. Mix a bad drinking habit with a sometimes bad personaltiy and it will make it worse. Shame really. As a professional footballer you can be set for life if you concentrate for those years you play for and he was so talanted but be fecked it all up.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:58 pm

Can’t say I have much sympathy for him to be honest, in the same way I have very little for Best. Both are women beaters and both have had the opportunity to turn their lives around.

Like most people, I like a drink and spend most Friday and Saturday nights down the pub having 4-5 pints. I also pop out mid week for a few beers and might have the odd glass of wine with my dinner…and even I consider that to be too much.

Gazza has been given loads of chances and (like Best) he’s thrown them all away.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:12 pm

its like the way george best let everyone down and continued his drinking after his treatment. If the person dont care then why feckin bother! Its all about will power and some people are just naturally weak inside and give in to easy!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Madmax wrote:its like the way george best let everyone down and continued his drinking after his treatment. If the person dont care then why feckin bother! Its all about will power and some people are just naturally weak inside and give in to easy!

treatment? the guy got a new liver! Some poor sod died and donated his organs to help others and George Best used it as an excuse to squeeze a few more drinks in before last orders.

:no
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:44 am

7_Kewell wrote:
Madmax wrote:its like the way george best let everyone down and continued his drinking after his treatment. If the person dont care then why feckin bother! Its all about will power and some people are just naturally weak inside and give in to easy!

treatment? the guy got a new liver! Some poor sod died and donated his organs to help others and George Best used it as an excuse to squeeze a few more drinks in before last orders.

:no

agreed great footballer but a waste of a life a total waste.

Only so much you can blame on mental illness I have suffered with it in past and know a few people with same type of illness as gazza but they turned there lifes around its down to each person really.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:06 pm

Its a funny old world.. Gazza could very easily have been a Liverpool player.. Dalglish wanted him but could not match Spurs offer and asked him to wait a year so he could find the money. Then Fergie came in and Spurs offered stupid money so off he went..

I often wonder what he would have done in a red shirt..
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:21 am

This thread is pointless!very few if any are qualified to judge Gazza or any addict,be it a gambler,druggie or alchoholic
Its all well and good saying he's a waster(he is a waster he has wasted his life) but does anyone on here think for a second thats how he wants to be?
There seems to be a stigma in society that if someone can physically put something into themselves and provoke an illness that they are to blame!Does a druggie want to be hooked?Does an alcho want to wake up every day and feel like they would kill their own mother for a vodka?
No they dont..they got hooked!
Did Gazza want to be such a car crash?Could he have helped it?
I have to laugh at some on here and the ignorance.Just remember people,you all have your lives to lead and there is no map.Most of you will have kids(apart from Judge)
What if you or your kid becomes addicted to something..your dad..your friend..your neighbour?
What then?

Its all well and good saying it wont happen to me..you dont need to be a bad person to become addicted to anything.You can be hit by anything in life..a bus,cancer,aids..whatever.Addictions hit quicker than any illness you could ever diagnose..People should not judge what they dont understand!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby we all dream... » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:55 pm

Number 9 wrote:This thread is pointless!very few if any are qualified to judge Gazza or any addict,be it a gambler,druggie or alchoholic
Its all well and good saying he's a waster(he is a waster he has wasted his life) but does anyone on here think for a second thats how he wants to be?
There seems to be a stigma in society that if someone can physically put something into themselves and provoke an illness that they are to blame!Does a druggie want to be hooked?Does an alcho want to wake up every day and feel like they would kill their own mother for a vodka?
No they dont..they got hooked!
Did Gazza want to be such a car crash?Could he have helped it?
I have to laugh at some on here and the ignorance.Just remember people,you all have your lives to lead and there is no map.Most of you will have kids(apart from Judge)
What if you or your kid becomes addicted to something..your dad..your friend..your neighbour?
What then?

Its all well and good saying it wont happen to me..you dont need to be a bad person to become addicted to anything.You can be hit by anything in life..a bus,cancer,aids..whatever.Addictions hit quicker than any illness you could ever diagnose..People should not judge what they dont understand!

:nod
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:59 pm

that was the original point of the thread. most of us get drunk often enough but some people just don't know moderation. most dry alcoholics drink loads of tea everyday and everything in their lives is all or nothing, if they like nicotine they probably smoke 40 a day, cigars, pipe and snuff.

if you say their house would look nice with some family pictures,next time you come there'll be 30 pictures crowded into a room.

they are just all or nothing people.
Last edited by Big Niall on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:15 pm

Big Niall wrote:that was the original point of the thread. most of us get drunk often enough but some people just don't know moderation. most dry alcoholics drink loads of tea everyday and everything in their lives is all or nothing, if they like nicotine they probably smoke 40 a day, cigars, pipe and snuff.

if you say their house would look nice with some family pictures,next time you come there'll be 30 pictures crowded into a room.

they are just all or nothing people.

Yeah good point Niall!It wouldnt be like you to make a sh,ite point again....sugar?
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum