Benithez's & gerrard's statements to the press - Owen was not played because baros starts

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby azriahmad » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:36 am

Guys, I read this from the sporting life website:-

BENITEZ AND GERRARD TIGHT-LIPPED
New Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez defiantly stonewalled any question over Michael Owen's future in the aftermath of Liverpool's 2-0 Champions League qualifying victory over AK Graz.

Benitez left Owen on the bench for the entire match to fuel claims that neither the player nor the club wanted him to be cup-tied in the Champions League and thus lose transfer value, with a move to Real Madrid still a possibility.

The Spanish boss insisted however that the only reason Owen was an unused substitute was because he chose Milan Baros instead.

Baros, top scorer at Euro 2004, played alongside Djibril Cisse as Liverpool cruised to a crucial first-leg win thanks to a Steven Gerrard brace, with the return at Anfield in a fortnight.

"I always play my best players and I decided on my starting eleven and Owen was not in it," claimed Benitez.

"It was simple, I chose Baros to play. I have four forwards and I decided to start with Baros. There are four possibilities and I chose this one."

Benitez added: "He didn't play because Baros did, and I do not talk about the future. I do not know such things, he is here and one of our forwards and I am happy with that.

"I understand you want to talk about Michael Owen, but for me the important thing is that we played well and won. He didn't play because Baros did. And Baros played well."

The Owen affair overshadowed a convincing Liverpool display in Benitez's competitive debut as manager.

He said: "Steven Gerrard scored two fine goals and his first opened the game up for us.

"I am happy, I am always happy when my sides win. It was our first match and they had already played four league games and are known as a strong, pressing side. But we maintained good concentration which makes me very, very happy."

Similarly, Steven Gerrard, who had all the answers on the pitch, was either unwilling or unable to shed any fresh light on the situation.

"No-one has said anything to me about Michael. We will have to wait and see," Gerrard said.

He too preferred to reflect on a victory which puts Liverpool on course to reach the forthcoming group stage of the Champions League.

"It was a perfect result, but I would not say it was a perfect performance," Gerrard conceded.

"We have to win these two legs, and this was an important game. But we used it to get fit too. We have had a good run-out and kept a clean sheet, so we are very happy."

Gerrard predicts much better to come, starting against Tottenham in the first round of Barclays Premiership fixtures on Saturday, as Benitez gets to know his new team.

"The manager asked us to play a bit deeper tonight because we did not know much about their team," said the midfielder.

"I would not say we fired on all cylinders - but we will be raring to go against Tottenham this weekend now."

Typical Benny which we eill have to get used to now, no fuss and not much juicy news either.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - Games