Steven Gerrard's FA Cup Final Equaliser - One of the Best Goals Ever?

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby andy_g » Tue May 16, 2006 4:07 pm

:laugh:  top screaming

very similar to the noises i was making myself actually :laugh:

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Wed May 17, 2006 3:21 pm

andy_g wrote: :laugh:  top screaming

Nothing compared to my screaming. :D
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri May 19, 2006 1:07 pm

andy_g wrote: :laugh:  top screaming

What do you be getting up to??
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat May 20, 2006 4:36 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:So I have to say, in the time since, Gerrard can be mentioned in the same breath as Kenny Dalglish and John Barnes.  The man can go onto eclipse them if he continues performing at his rate.

in terms of overall achievements, including his 'pre-liverpool' history where he also enjoyed a remarkable careers in celtic, for defo, king kenny is the real 'king'. but in terms of the 'value' and 'meaning' of an individual over the whole club achievements, gerrard must be a more valuable player to the team than Kenny. he's always there when needed most to not only lift his team mates moral up but also change the opponents luck into a nightmare, even at a not very easy moments with alikes of traore, biscan; never mind he's doing it at a team having been miles away from being settled to be spelt in the same breath with aclass of barca, madrid, etc. he always comes up as the winner.

king kenny joined a team that having been on fire already, he's a well-put turbo of a well-built engine with outstanding spare-parts. while captain fantastic is like mother theresia amongst the thirsts and starvings

regarding the goal, i started to intentionally watching Liverpool match since about '80, most on TV since i went abroad not long after that, i have about 24 DVDs including "501 goals", and I believe -given the overall it takes to value a goal, like importance of the game, skill, mentality, timing, etc, this is the best liverpool goal ever.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:03 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:New topic from jonnymac, only because I think it's worth it.

I watched the game at home with my Dad this afternoon, a bit of a tradition in my family, close the curtains over and crack open a six-pack.  Don't really go the pub for the FA Cup final.  Prefer to watch it indoors rather than a pub, no matter what year it is, or who's playing.  Wimbledon in 1988 was one of the exceptions as I was actually sitting in a seat in Wembley Stadium watching us get beat.  Never mind, although eighteen years on I still don't know how we lost.

Also, back in 2001, I was on a 36 hour drink binge, although I wont explain the ins and outs of that.  It was justified though.  We won the Cup.  Any other year, apart from when I had a stupid Saturday job that robbed me of watching it, I always watch the FA Cup final at home.  Couldn't get a ticket this year though.  My brother was there though.  He's ecstatic.

So anyway, today, Konchesky had scored a winning freak goal and for twenty minutes or so, West Ham's name was on the Cup.  I was sitting with my Dad in the house and if I'm being honest, we had both conceded the Cup.  Kewell had to go off injured; Alonso realised his ankle had not healed sufficiently enough to allow him to have any more influence on the game, and players were falling over all over the pitch.  Weird weren't it?

The much maligned Morientes (who I thought in my opinion looked more lively today than he had looked all season put together) was leading the line once Crouch was replaced.  We looked a team who didn't have what it was going to take this time to take the trophy.  Cisse had given his all, he couldn't even run any more.

Those of us who were watching on television, were watching with four minutes to go.  The camera cut to Steven Gerrard, with the look of regret on his face, about the trophy that got away.  He had cramp.  He couldn't walk properly, never mind run.  Reo-Coker was man-marking him, and West Ham looked far the fitter side over the ninety minutes.  The game was up. 

The commentators, Motson and Lawrenson from BBC, were worrying about England's World Cup hopes.  Fuck the World Cup.  I was worrying about how I was going to cope with losing the FA Cup.

Then the ninety minutes were up and the fourth official signalled there was four minutes of injury time and Liverpool were on the attack after some Cisse injury where the ball was kicked out of play.  I had this empty feeling in my stomach, resigned to planning how I was going to take my mind off this result after the referee had blown his whistle to signal the defeat.  It was only a matter of time.

Then there is some kind of perfect mêlée, where the ball bounces free just outside the box.  Close your eyes and you can remember where you were when you seen it yourself.  The ball was free.  On television you couldn't see the rest of the pitch, so I know what I was thinking.  If you were at Cardiff, I'll bet I know what you were thinking.

You thought to yourself;

"Last minute of the Cup Final, the ball has been missed by all the players at the edge of the box.......... and it's bouncing up perfectly for someone to hit it, 35 yards out.......... 

Who do you want there to hit it, even though it won't go in, barring a miracle or a perfect shot sent from somewhere we don't know about?"

"But who do you want there?  Name the ONE player you want there just out of camera-shot.  The one player in the World you would trust right now to volley that ball towards goal?"

Step forward Steven Gerrard.

Am I the only person who watched it in sheer disbelief and slow motion?  Even when it hit the corner of the net, for a brief moment, a real brief moment, I couldn't believe this final could take another twist this way.  With warriors falling all over the pitch, the greatest and strongest of them all on the park rose and pulled a rabbit out of the hat, and produced a goal which you'll travel far and wide to see executed more perfectly, in a game of such importance and magnitude. 

Carrying an injury, Steven Gerrard shaped his body, catching it on the volley like an arrow with a twist.  With his last ounce of energy in the ninety minutes, he scored an unstoppable beauty before Hislop even realised there was a shot to save.  The ball was literally in the net before he'd finished saving it.  Revise all goal of the season awards.

The man is a living legend.  I am 26 years of age, so I don't recall the old school of dominating football domestically and Europe, year in, year out.  I know my history, but my memory only goes back as far as the Double season of 1986.  From there, I know my stuff like Gospel.  We were good for about five years in my youth, and then we had the nineties.

So I have to say, in the time since, Gerrard can be mentioned in the same breath as Kenny Dalglish and John Barnes.  The man can go onto eclipse them if he continues performing at his rate.

Different generations apart I know, but I can't get over how Gerrard scored that goal today.  The technique was just perfection.  Just when you think you've seen him at his best against Olympiakos, or in Istanbul, or scoring 30 yard goals against Arsenal, Manchester United or even Aston Villa last weekend, he goes and scores an incomparable goal in the last minute of the FA Cup final, before going on to score a goal in the penalty shoot out to decide the competition before lifting the Cup himself.

The man was born with a gift.

Up there with the best.

So the rest of this topic; what did you think when you watched the goal go in?  Where were you?  At home, in the pub, or in the Millennium Stadium?  How did you feel?  Did you feel you had seen a better goal this or any season?  Could you describe what you had just seen?

Great post mate.

In answer to your questions:

I was at home and , like you, had resigned myself to a defeat. I was already planning what to say to the p*ss-takers that are my mates; "They scored 3 poxy goals", "Our players could hardly walk", "Your sh*tty team aren't good enough to get to the final" - the usual stuff.
I looked at the clock and it said 86 minutes, and I just thought "We're f*cked".

I kept dreaming about a comeback a-la Istanbul, and I even prayed a little - just to help us!

Initially when the ball broke free, I was ruing another wasted punt into their area, and the ineffectual aerial play of Morientes on the day.

Then Stevie was picked up by the camera. When I saw he was shaping to hit it, I just thought "Great. Another waste of possession and another f*cking goal kick."

But I was wrong.

It was one of those shots that seem to take an age to reach the net, despite travelling at an incredible speed. Every yard it travelled seemed like a mile. Every millisecond the ball was in the air, the once ridiculous dream that it could actually go in turned into hope, and then to belief.
Even as it bulged the net, it took a moment to register that it was a goal.
And then I screamed.

I screamed a lot. I had just witnessed our captain score the goal of the century so far to take us into extra time.

What more can I say?

:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:12 pm

I was lucky enough to be there. I will never forget it. I can remember it as if it was yesterday. I was in block U33, row 11 seat 7, more or less level with the goal line. I thought we were down and out. I remember thinking at 2-2 'The next goal will be the winner.' Then I was gutted when I saw Konchesky's cross fly past reina. When it was 2-2 I believed we could go on and win it, but my hopes had been crushed with 15mins to go. I was thinking how much I would get skitted in school on the following monday, all the bitters and mancs taking the p1ss. Everytime I looked at the clock the minutes seemed to tick by like seconds. It came to the final few minutes and I could see people dotted around the stadium leaving their seats and heading for the exits. 'Prove them all wrong reds' I kept on thinking. 'Show them that you should never leave a game early.' It came to the 89th minute when scaloni kicked the ball out of play as cisse was injured, I looked upto the sky and thought 'I'll take a deflection, a fluke, a tap-in or a thunderbolt from stevie g, just please God let us score.' Then scaloni kicked the ball back to us, riise lofted it in towards morientes, 4 minutes of added time was announced, it was headered out, all players missed it, it bounced twice and from nowhere Captain Marvel Stevie G produces what is probably the best goal I have ever seen to equalize in the 90th minute. The ball left his gifted right foot and whenever I think back to it, it seems in slow motion. It was probably the happiest I've felt at a Liverpool game (as I was not able to go to Istanbul due to exam comittments :(  )
The ball hit the back of the net, I was jumping up and down, screaming and shouting and in fact I think I threw myself about 10 rows forward in the tier, if I was any nearer the front I would have fallen off. I turned to the guy to the right of me, kissed the badge on my shirt and shouted "I f*ckin' love this club."

What a day, what a game, what a goal.

Stevie G

:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gaz31 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:38 pm

I was watching the match hmp winchester and it was great on a pull down screen  :buttrock
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:33 pm

I was cramping up, nothing left, but I had to be around for the scraps. As the announcer’s words drifted away, I hobbled forward. Morientes and Gabbidon fought for Riise’s cross and the ball flew back out. Towards me. Christ! I stood there, legs stiff as boards, tank empty, thirty yards from goal with this ball coming my way. Everyone raves about what happened next, but they don’t realize one crucial thing: if my legs hadn’t been riddled with cramp, I would have brought the ball down and tried to build an attack. I was a long way out. Too far to shoot, surely? Come on! Be realistic! There had to be too many bodies in the way? But the cramp made up my mind. I looked at the ball. ‘It’s set decent,’ I told myself, ‘so have a go, try to hit the target. Nothing to lose, Stevie.’

I made contact, pouring my few remaining drops of energy into the ball, willing it on its way. People said the ball went in at a decent speed, but it seemed to take ages to travel those thirty yards. My senses were drained, the cramp and the tension taking their toll. Through blurred vision, I saw Shaka Hislop moving. Has he saved it? Has it gone in? Please God. Then I saw the net ripple and stretch. I saw the Liverpool fans leap up. I saw the West Ham fans and players collapse. It was in – 3–3.
My first reaction was of pure shock. I was surprised how well I hit it because of the mess my body was in. All my muscles were pulling. But there was no pain from hitting the ball so hard; there never is when you catch the ball so well. Those two strikes in the 2006 FA Cup final were the best I ever caught the ball. The feeling ripping through me matched the one after my Champions League header, although my second FA Cup final goal was better – my best ever goal. The brilliance of it still hasn’t sunk in. I still can’t believe I scored from so far out. On the Millennium pitch, I couldn’t celebrate properly, I was too shattered. I just smiled and patted the GERRARD on my back.

Here's an excerpt of the Gerrard autobiography excerpt that JMac posted yesterday.  This puts that goal into even clearer perspective.  Gerrard thinks it's his best goal ever and you'd have to agree based on what he's saying about the state his body was in from the cramps!  Interesting to read that, had he not been cramping up, he'd never have taken the shot on.  Well in, lad, well in! :bowdown
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby coddy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:31 pm

See Sig below..
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coddy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:33 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:BY SCOTTBOT

I guess Beckham's last minute free-kick against Greece in 2001 runs it close but that wasn't a final and England had the safety net of a playoff had he not scored that goal. A guy at work (a manc) reckons Giggs stunning solo effort to win the FA Cup semi against Arsenal in 2000 was better. It was an amzing goal but I disagree because they were level and heading to extra-Time/Pens therefore there was less pressure.

The only criticism i have about DB's free kick against Greece is that he had at least 8 attempts before that and didnt even get one on target, Stevie only had one chance and took it, perfectly
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:05 pm

stmichael wrote:Just seen this goal again on TV.

Considering the circumstances, the occassion, the timing, and his injury - it's one of the greatest strikes of a football I've ever seen.

still cant believe that goal even now,  what a strike from our captain, has there ever been a better strike than that in injury time...   

STEVIE GERRARD...........    :buttrock

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:03 am

Is it just me or did this goal not get the recognition that it deserved, maybe if it had have been the winner people would have talked about it more.

I know the final will be remembered as the Gerrard final and that is all good but what a goal!!

Think back to all the great goals, Maradona against England, Giggs against Arsenal or Zidane against Leverkusen. All winning goals.

This was one of the best goals I have ever witnessed and I just have a feeling if it had been the winner everyone would have still been talking about it
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Dundalk wrote:Is it just me or did this goal not get the recognition that it deserved, maybe if it had have been the winner people would have talked about it more.

I know the final will be remembered as the Gerrard final and that is all good but what a goal!!

Think back to all the great goals, Maradona against England, Giggs against Arsenal or Zidane against Leverkusen. All winning goals.

This was one of the best goals I have ever witnessed and I just have a feeling if it had been the winner everyone would have still been talking about it

"gerrard vs west ham"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7WW6ZRFy5M
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:15 am

Dundalk wrote:Is it just me or did this goal not get the recognition that it deserved, maybe if it had have been the winner people would have talked about it more.

bang on dundalk...

steve's  goal never got the credit it deserved...

it was just an incredible strike,  from a guy who had cramp  hardly a puff left in him,  and then wallop...

its amazing what a goal does for one,  i thought he was about to come off,  before he scored...

me thinks stevie got help from the man above...   :D      :cool:

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:38 am

Funny - I was watching the European Final and then indulged in the FA Cup Final just the other night and of course both have such spine tingling moments.

Gerrards goal is one of those unique occurrences:
  - the 4th official has just raised his board to indicate 4   minutes
  - meanwhile the mighty Gerrrad is teeing up to hit an unstoppable shot, straight in the left hand corner, the result of which has the Liverpool masses and commentators going mad truly awesome moment

and when you watch the lead-up to that goal:

-  Cisse gets cramp;
  -  WH kick the ball out of play near there own penalty area  (doh)
  - Sherringham blasts his own player for showing sortsmanship
  - then LFC give the throw-in back to WH (yet more sortsmanship :D )
  -  the clearance is poor - the rest his history!

I have to say that I am proud to have watched such moments as they have unfolded - Istanbul is the greatest of those moments and the next few weeks is gonna require of us all; ooters :D and all , to have big hearts, belief and faith that our beloved Liverpool Football Club will triumph again -

The mighty reds are on the march - we luv ya liverpool we do ... Rafa Benitez, Rafa Benitez, Rafa Rafa Benitez..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games