Steven Gerrard's FA Cup Final Equaliser - One of the Best Goals Ever?

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby stmichael » Sun May 14, 2006 3:48 pm

incidentally, i think tyler had an orgasm when the goal went in :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h5er4piAfI&search=fa%20cup%20final
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby H_K_LFC » Sun May 14, 2006 5:22 pm

You can't blame him :D :D
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun May 14, 2006 6:06 pm

Stevie G scored two beauties, with two great assists where one was IMHO unfairly ruled offside.

If it were Mourinho's team, he'd have a lot to say about the disallowed goal, how there should have been 4-3 without extra time and how the ref's assistant and the ref keeps giving the big decisions to the opposition blah blah.

Like babu, I was watching from half the world away in Kuala Lumpur and I was gobsmacked when that flukey cross-shot by Konchesly ended up in the net. Here we are, Liverpool FC after a very strong finish to the season in the league with 11 successive wins, were playing below par in the FA Cup Final. To add to the misery of watching my favourite team, Reina had an erratic game and the Gods truly gifted West Ham all the luck in all 3 of their goals in the manner they went into our net.

I had lost all manner of hope, trying to console myself that it was just not meant to be. We did not play too badly but then we were below par because we were not playing well either. Stevie had done his fair share with the pass for Cisse and his own lovely goal. Then, from some 35 yards, he hit an absolute cracker which went like an arrow into Hislop's net.

I grew up watching the Liverpool of Bob Paisley dominate England and Europe bu I have never ever remembered a more memorable and spectacular player than Gerrard. Kenny is the greatest but he never had to be the fantastic one all too often as he was surrounded by top talents. Gerrard, so often before, takes the game by the scruff of the neck and does it all by himself.

Only 25, yet already a Liverpool legend. Needs to win at least one EPL championship to cap a magnificent career.

I remembered Jimmy Case scoring a beauty to equalise against manure in the FA Cup final of 1977 which we lost to a deflected goal but even his best does not measure up to either of Gerrard's goals yesterday.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun May 14, 2006 8:19 pm

i was in the same place i watch all the liverpool games (apart fromm the rare occasions i can get back to anfield these days) - the black horse pub in barcelona. there's always a smallish but decent crowd of liverpool supporters in there, a couple of scousers, an 'adopted' scousers, a couple of ooters and a bunch of spanish liverpool followers. for some reason there was a sh!tload of spanish west ham fans in the next room and no one had a clue where they'd sprung from. add them to the dozen or so resident and holidaying hammers fans and we were well outnumbered. they were making plenty of noise all through the game and as the clock ticked down they were building to a crescendo. myself and the other liverpool supporters had shamefully given up and conceded to the better, luckier, fitter or whatever side on the day (or so we believed at the time).

so there we are with barely a whisker of the game left, ready to do one as soon as the whistle has gone, unable to believe this one had got away. our best player is walking wounded, cisse isn't even walking he's that wounded, momo is struggling and we've already lost our two most creative players to injury. it seemed impossible that we were even going to get another kick of the ball.

to be honest, i don't even remember clearly if i was looking at the screen when gerrard shaped to hit the ball. i think i'd turned away as the ball headed a safe distance from their goal, but my peripheral vision caught the ball heading, amazingly, back towards the goal at an unbelievable speed and i was watching full on with my mouth wide open as that same bullet hit the back of the net. a thousandth of a second later i was on my feet with my mates all going completely and utterly mental, screaming like a banshee, laughing like a lunatic and giving it so many "COME ON!!!!"s that my vocal chords feel permanently damaged.

his goal against olympiacos was close, the alonso equaliser in the cl final was even closer, but never have i seen a goal dispatched with such venom from an injured player, from so far out, at such a moment, in such a big game, in such a fine stadium, so against the run of play.

heroic, magnificent and unique

:bowdown

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon May 15, 2006 12:34 am

Quality post John. It encapsualtes the facts and the feelings of the moment when Superman himself scores a stunning injury time equaliser.

Where was I ? On Row 2 of the Third Tier saying to my best mate and constant companion at most every Liverpool game I've ever attended "Sometimes your names just on the Cup" and I was talking about West ham !! What do I know !!!!! :D

I've yet to see it on the TV but let me tell you this as an eye witness, he hit it so hard and sweet it was in the goal before it left his boot :p

Apart from the feelings you always get when Liverpool hit the onion bag my other feeling was one of relief then disbelief as this was the same Stevie G that was struggling moments earlier. He ran into our corner and had the swagger and assurance that greatness brings. Pointing to his name was simply for my benefit I'm sure reassuring me that I'm not dreaming that we have the worlds best midfielder in our team :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:00 am

The best ever FA cup goal.........yes but only just, we must not forget Ian Rush.
Last edited by lakes10 on Mon May 15, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:50 am

this si where i was, but i posted it somewhere else as didnt see this (couldnt see much yesterday, hangovers rock!!!)

For me i was up at 630, suited and booted as i was working hospitality for the game but a ticket is a ticket so who can complain? I got to paddington station in london at 9am for my 930 train with my mate john, but then we saw that our train tickets were not set reserved, and then we saw that this meant that we just had to queue up and wait. Which we did. For two hours. Finally got on a train about 11am, surrounded by west ham fans, thousands of em!!!

But who cares, we were in cardiff. We had a box in the west ham area but the people we took were virtually all scousers so the game would be class. We were drinking champagne at first but soon moved onto the beer so we could watch the whole match. And what a match!!! I have alsways said that its funny watching it live. It all seemed so dfferent, everything happened so quickly. As we were on the west ham end we were actually right on the goal line for the penalty shoot out, and you cant get much better than that. I dont think Prince william had a better seat. The west ham fans were always vocal but they were already in the uefa cup so it was a good atmosphere.

The game came and went, we were on a cloud higher than nine, and just wanted to get the party going. But then we saw the queue to get back to londo... no chance of our 730 train. So i had an idea, who lives in cardiff who might fancy a pint after one of the greatest matches in the history of the fa cup!!!

Yep, gave taff a buzz, and the welsh hospility was class. Had a couple of beers, chatted a bit, then me and john went back to the train. We finally got on one of th trains about 9pm, with thounsads waiting behind us again. and then we realised something... the west ham fans going back were a little more upset than the ones we had travelled with earlier. We got ona c arriage and sat at the back, then realised were the only non west ham on the carriage. they were singin that bubbles song a lot and then one of them yelled something which scared me just a little.

"every one shut up, every listen, these two boys arent singing!!!"

everyone on the carriage stopped and ooked at us as the guy said

"these lads are gonna destroy you"

luckily at that point he collapsed and since we werent in colours we were left alone. Well we got back, found our local and met our scouse gang and we hugged and we drank and we danced and..well, its just sinking in. I saw the goal again (stevie g 2nd one) and it looks so different on tv. But this was an fa cup final i will never forget!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon May 15, 2006 3:10 pm

Just seen this goal again on TV.

Considering the circumstances, the occassion, the timing, and his injury - it's one of the greatest strikes of a football I've ever seen.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:20 pm

mike, when i first sa it at the game i know it was a class goal but i was at the other end. it wasnt until i saw it again and again on SSN that night in the pub that i really knew how good a goal it was. its goal of the season for me, not just for liverpool, but for the whole country in all competitions.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon May 15, 2006 4:23 pm

It has to be a contender for best ever FA Cup goal, the only thing that would of cemented it was if it had been the winner. The skill to execute a shot like that and to do it well enough to beat a keeper from 35 yards is out of this world.

I think as Gerrards goals go this will be one of his best, alongside the third goal against Olympiakos in last years champions league.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon May 15, 2006 8:56 pm

BY SCOTTBOT

In my drunken stupour on Saturday we talking about Stevie's wonder goal (did anyone talk about anything else!) and where it sits in the all time pantheon of great goals.

All things considered, and there's a lot to consider here;

- The fact it was in injury time of an FA Cup Final
-  we were 4 mins from defeat
- Stevie could barely walk moments before
- Half his teamates had had a stinker and were clearly not up to salvaging the match.
- The fact he was 35 yards out it's on the volley and it went like a missile into the top corner to illuminate arguably the greatest FA Cup Final ever.

Taking all that into account. Was that the best goal ever scored? It's certainly the best goal i've ever seen.

I guess Beckham's last minute free-kick against Greece in 2001 runs it close but that wasn't a final and England had the safety net of a playoff had he not scored that goal. A guy at work (a manc) reckons Giggs stunning solo effort to win the FA Cup semi against Arsenal in 2000 was better. It was an amzing goal but I disagree because they were level and heading to extra-Time/Pens therefore there was less pressure.

Best goal you've ever seen? Can you think of one to top that? I can't.
jonnymac1979

Postby Mikz » Mon May 15, 2006 9:10 pm

:no Cant think of one becos there isnt one.
The only other one I can think of that comes close is Ronnie Radfords long range goal, pure adrenalin rush that, but come on this was the last minute in the final.
It stunned the fans of west Ham, it stunned the fans of Liverpool, and it stunned Steven Gerrard himself ,if you watch him , he looked almost dazed not knowing how to celebrate.
He an absolutely blinding player,the greatest ever to don the red shirt -bar none.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 15, 2006 9:22 pm

Cheers J.Mac - i couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread on this but didn't think to look in the advanced forum.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Tue May 16, 2006 3:32 am

I was in a pub in Brisbane, Australia. I had linked up with the Queensland Supporters Group and was standing with them, we were all downhearted, we had conceded. To our right were an older couple (late 50s), both West Ham supporters and the were flinching everytime Liverpool got an attacking opportunity, such is reputation. The wife's nerves had particularly gone. When Gerrard scored, the Liverpool contingent became one massive pile of humans as we looked for people to hug in the crowd. The Hammers fans shoulders dropped. All I could think was this is a lifeline and that it was just like Istanbul.

As a postscript, once the final penalty had been saved, we went crazy for a few moments, but then most of the Liverpool supporters shook this old couples hands and said some nice things. Such is the spirit of Liverpool that we are gracious in victory as well as defeat.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 16, 2006 3:45 pm

incidentally, here's the goal with radio city commentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....%202006

gotta love aldo :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games