Gerrard and sissoko - Can they play together?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:05 pm

LittleHobo wrote:also why has rafa replaced one south american winger (gonz) with one of similar ability but with less pace and longer hair?

its madness

jared leto's kid brother  :p
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:09 pm

LittleHobo wrote:sissoko can attack?

why have i never seen this

If we can afford to play such one dimensional midfielders as Sissoko then why is anyone wondering why we don't win? He's a 'ball winner', sadly the variety that either gives it straight back or does fe ck all with it most of the time.

And how much are clubs reportedly willing to pay for him?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:25 pm

s@int wrote:Most will probably disagree with me but I don't think Sissoko plays holding midfielder , he plays midfield destroyer higher up the pitch. Even when he played with Zenden, it was Zenden that took on the holding role. Last night for me it was Gerrard that played the holding role.

I think a midfield pairing of Gerrard and Sissoko makes the Lampard and Gerrard pairing look like a match made in heaven!

Spot on.  Sissoko has never been and never will be a holding midfield player.  The two could conceivably play together much more effectively than last night but at great cost to Gerrard's game, as he would be the one to sit deep and mind the shop.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:31 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:Most will probably disagree with me but I don't think Sissoko plays holding midfielder , he plays midfield destroyer higher up the pitch. Even when he played with Zenden, it was Zenden that took on the holding role. Last night for me it was Gerrard that played the holding role.

I think a midfield pairing of Gerrard and Sissoko makes the Lampard and Gerrard pairing look like a match made in heaven!

Spot on.  Sissoko has never been and never will be a holding midfield player.  The two could conceivably play together much more effectively than last night but at great cost to Gerrard's game, as he would be the one to sit deep and mind the shop.

I also agree with S@int about the USUAL Sissoko role but, yesterday, both Sissoko and Gerrard HAD TO do tasks of that role. Whenever you had Gerrard in the 3/4 of the pitch you had Sissoko covering his back, and it's not the same to have a Mascherano or Alonso to make the covers or Sissoko.

Sissoko is most effective when he has someone behind him (he likes to go up more, as Rafa said to imply he's not a holding mid) and he does his ball winning tackles.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:46 pm

Simple and short answer is yes. But only if Xabi is playing as cover.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:04 pm

in my opinion sissoko works in a 3 man centre midfield

like rafa played in his first season here

one up top

3 in centre mid

2 attacking wingers
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:11 pm

Sissoko had a very poor game, as did everyone on our pitch in red, it doesnt mean that him and Gerrard cant play together, that is jumping to conclusions a little.

Besides that our performance was inexcusable they should be ashamed of themselves.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion