Markus Babbel confident

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:00 pm

No not Ryan Babel, but the legend himself [to me at least], Markus Babbel.

Source: LFC.tv

BABBEL: REDS CAN WIN THE DOUBLE
Paul Hassall 28 September 2007
Former Reds star Markus Babbel has tipped Liverpool to secure a glorious League and Champions League double this season.
The veteran German defender, who is currently plying his trade at Stuttgart, is convinced Rafael Benitez's men can not only end an 18-year wait for the title but also thinks they have a great chance of conquering Europe once again.

"This is the first season when they have had the quality to win the league and also win the Champions League," said Babbel.

"They have a really good squad, not just eleven good players but 25 really good players and if they have a bit of luck with injuries, Liverpool can beat any side because they are so strong in defence, midfield and attack especially having brought in Fernando Torres, the kind of striker they've been lacking in recent years."

Babbel enjoyed a remarkable debut season with Liverpool, helping the club to a unique cup treble in 2001 before his Reds career was cruelly cut short when he was struck down by the debilitating Guillain-Barre syndrome.

The 35-year-old recovered to continue his playing career with Blackburn Rovers and current side Stuttgart, and despite his tragic illness, still looks back on his Reds career with great fondness.

"It was the best time in my life," said Babbel.

"I played for one of the biggest clubs in Europe alongside players like Gary (McAllister), who's a legend for me because he's such a great character and leader.

"We won five trophies together. That was a fantastic time, the only sadness for me was that I became ill after that and never came back as before. I was a little unlucky but this one season will always be in my head."

Now in the twilight of his career, Babbel has already set his sights on a career in the dugout once his playing days are over and won't rule out a return to these shores in the future.

"I would like to manage a club in Britain one day," said Babbel.
"I love the British style of football and especially the passion of the fans at big clubs like Liverpool.

"Of course, it would be a dream to go back to Anfield as manager, but there's a lot of hard work to be done before that can happen."
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:08 pm

Marcus Babbel was a superd player, good going forward but solid as a rock at the back, it was a real shame he got that disease he would have been first team for us for a few more years at least.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:12 pm

Top player in his short time with us. Was a good crosser of a ball as well as a great defender. Just a pity he had such a sort time here because I think he would have got even better once he became used to the prem.

Was also the creator of one of the best preseason goals I have seen. When he crossed the ball in short and Owen smashed the ball into the net on the volley.

I wish him nothing but good luck after what he has had to cope with. Top man.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:21 pm

get him as some kind of coach quick smart. cant hurt to have someone with his savvy. great footballer and a great man.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:12 pm

He's a top lad. I remember him talking fondly about us on more than one occasion, he really seems to care for the club. I wish him all the best for his future coaching career and who knows... maybe one day he'll get his wish and end up at LFC again in some position.
JamCar05

Postby Paul C » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:56 pm

Great lad and a pity he left after falling out with GH, remember when he got sent off in the reserves for butting someone :(

GH tells Babbel he has no future
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:07 am

I completely forgot about him. Now that I think back though, he was a pretty good player. ANd he does sound like he knows his stuff. I'm with Dawson. Get him on staff toot sweet.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:14 am

An excellent player who did the business for us and more..... Carried himself well and represented the club brilliantly...

Good luck, Markus... Would have you back @ Anfield in a heartbeat. :nod
ConnO'var

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:06 pm

I have no doubt that had he not been struck down by that illness he'd have gone on to become a modern day legend for us. He was always 100% committed to the cause and he had class that many of the worlds best teams would have benefited from.

I'll always remember that goal in the derby where Fowler(I think) cut the ball back across their box and Babbel came sprinting in and hit the ball on the half volley and it went in the goal like a bullet. The ball wasn't even spinning it was one of those that was just still as it shot through the air. Absolute quality!!

Markus Babbel  :bowdown  :bowdown
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:12 pm

Markus Babbel a legend in my eyes to.  :bowdown
66-1112520797

Postby roberto green » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:35 pm

Like most German players he was a true profesianal The Derby goal sticks out and his goal against Alves in the UEFA cup final..He was oNe of our players of the season that year just behind Gary Mac IMO.its a pitty he got his illness cos i think he would of played for us for quit a few years. :bowdown
roberto green

Postby Wilhelmsson » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:25 pm

I feel the replies to this topic have missed the point of what Markus has said. He has said Liverpool can challenge and effectively win the Champions League and the Premier League.

I don’t doubt a challenge can be mounted for both championships, but I’m yet to witness anything which convinces me that the team can realistically win two of the finest trophies LFC can win.

It’s not completely impossible, but that said I feel Markus (who was a special player) might be expecting too much and housing too much blind faith in the team.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby heimdall » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:57 pm

Very very good player, and good to see him back to full health now.

He might be right, he might be wrong, who knows. It's amazing to see how loyal ex-players are to Liverpool though, can't imagine Manure or Chavski having that effect on players, just look at Heinze  :oh:  :shifty
heimdall

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:47 pm

Tell you what...there are a couple of German defenders we could well do with at the moment. Philip Lahm is one who springs to mind - maybe a possible recruit in the Jan window ? Dunno about his contract position - it might not be a flier - but I think he's a crackin' player....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby JamCar05 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:20 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Tell you what...there are a couple of German defenders we could well do with at the moment. Philip Lahm is one who springs to mind - maybe a possible recruit in the Jan window ? Dunno about his contract position - it might not be a flier - but I think he's a crackin' player....

He is indeed a cracking player, who can fill in on both fullback positions aswell as defensive midfield (if necessary, though that wouldn't be the case at LFC!). Unfortunately I can't see it coming off. Bayern themselves have got a really strong squad this season, and I doubt they would let one of their homegrown and most exciting players leave. Even if they did, I think there would be a scramble for him, and the price would go way up. I don't know anything about his contractual situation though.
JamCar05

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion