Boss confident

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:23 pm

Yes another Gerrard topic, I'm tired of them too but this is important so read it.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez expects to be able to call on the services of Steven Gerrard for the next ten years. 
Despite many reports and rumours that Gerrard will quit Anfield in the summer, Rafa is adamant that his inspirational skipper will eventually decide to commit his long term future to the Reds.

He said: "Steven is a very good player but he can still get better if he keeps working as he is doing at the moment. I'm confident he'll keep improving and be here for the next ten years.

"When you are a manager of a football club you always think you have the best players in the world. Steven is in my team and for me he is the best in the world." 

Rafael Benitez has advised Steven Gerrard to be careful with the timing of his comments in future after putting himself under huge pressure in midweek. 
Gerrard spoke the day before the clash with Olympiacos about the possibility of him needing to leave Anfield to seek the success he so badly craves, but the manager believes those comments could have waited until after the match.

Gerrard responded with a stunning goal to keep the Reds in the Champions League, but Benitez says he must now learn from this week's experience.

"Perhaps Steven still needs more experience in how and when he says things," he said. "When you have an important game, I think the concentration of all the people has to only be on the game itself, nothing else.

"Steven was very honest, but for the future, I think this experience will be useful to him. He put pressure on himself when could have just talked about football. After the game, I think you can talk about the other things.

"I know Steven wants to win. We all want to win. To be a big club that can win titles, we need Steven. He has said he wants to stay here and he enjoys the responsibility of being captain. That's the most important thing." 
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:03 pm

ANOTHER STEVIE G TOPIC, great stuff. :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:16 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:ANOTHER STEVIE G TOPIC, great stuff. :D