Samuel eto'o - I don't normally do this but...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:59 pm

Sabre, I did actually point out in one of my other posts about Davids also. But yes, football is a team game, but it is no coincidence that Ronaldinho gets world player of the year twice in a row in the same years they win two La Ligas and a champions league. He is a superb player, maybe he needs to be a little more controlled when he plays so he is more effective but his overall effectiveness in games has been shown and the strike rate he has is excellent for what many consider hi, to be - not an out and out forward like Eto'o.
LFC2007

Postby matrix » Thu May 24, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm not coming to the Premiership this year, says Eto'o
By Ben Hayward
Published: 24 May 2007
The Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o has dismissed speculation linking him with a transfer to the Premiership this summer.

The Cameroon striker, 26, insists he has heard nothing of a possible move to the Premiership, despite reports in England linking the three-time African Footballer of the Year with a summer move to Liverpool. However, Eto'o did not rule out a move to the Premiership in future.

"I have not heard anything," Eto'o said. "These kind of things are usually just speculation and don't come through to me. I am happy at Barcelona and will definitely be here next season. I have no idea where I will be in a few years' time, but at the moment I have a contract with Barcelona until 2010."

Eto'o fell out with the Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard earlier this season after refusing to come on as a late substitute against Racing Santander following his recovery from an injury.

not sure what to make of this report...

if i was a betting man i would bet on fernando torres being our number 1 target...    ???
Last edited by matrix on Thu May 24, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Sun May 27, 2007 7:51 am

ETO'O: I'D LOVE TO PLAY AT ANFIELD
EXCLUSIVE: BARCELONA ACE GIVES LIVERPOOL FANS A LIFT
Anthony Clavane 27/05/2007

SAMUEL ETO'O has reopened speculation that he will move to the Premiership by talking to the Sunday Mirror about his great admiration for Liverpool.

As Anfield boss Rafa Benitez pledged a drastic overhaul of his beaten Champions League finalists, Eto'o made a point of praising the Reds' team spirit, style of play and passionate support.

In an exclusive one-toone the star Barcelona striker revealed his desire to play in front of the Kop at some point.

AdvertisementAware of the politics surrounding his position at the Nou Camp - and the fact that he has a contract at Barcelona until 2010 - the Cameroon superstar stressed that he would be in Spain next season.

But Benitez will be delighted to hear Eto'o's rapturous appreciation of the Anfield outfit - especially as the Spanish coach is lobbying new American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett for the sort of funds needed to land a world-class goalscorer.

The African is top of a list that also includes Fernando Torres and David Villa.

Eto'o, 26, said: "The great thing about Liverpool is their team spirit. It is very strong.

"But, for me, it is their fans who win matches for Liverpool because they have so much power. They are fantastic. Any player would love to have those types of fans behind him. I have played at Anfield in the Champions League quarter-final so I know all about their fantastic supporters.

"It would be wonderful to have that kind of support as a Liverpool player but I really don't know what will happen in the next two years.

"Every time I turn around so many things have happened and changed. So I can't think about it yet.

"But you never know.

"If I play in the Premiership I will be the first to say. It won't be in the newspapers - I will be the one to break the news!"

The Cameroon international fell out with Barcelona boss Frank Rijkaard earlier this season after refusing to come on as a late sub against Racing Santander - and his relationship with teammate Ronaldinho has been strained.

He added: "I have not heard anything from Liverpool or anyone else. These things don't come through to me.

"I'm only thinking about next season and I will be here next season. But every year that passes things become a bit more difficult.

"English football has changed a lot for the better over the past few years. I've seen English teams playing matches which have been very exciting.

"And when I saw Liverpool play Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final I was impressed by the way Liverpool played a more strategic, attacking game.

"There was dribbling and great skill in that match. And when we played them I thought, 'Are we playing against Liverpool or a Spanish team?'

"I love the way the fans in England get behind their team. I respect their mentality. They are so positive in supporting their own team rather than, as happens in Spain, being against the opposition.

"That's the big difference between England and Spain."

The three-time African Footballer of the Year also went out of his way to praise his bitter rival Didier Drogba.

The two strikers have been involved in a feud since the Africa Cup of Nations last year - but Eto'o is now prepared to bury the hatchet with the Chelsea star.

"I am a fan of Drogba," he said. "He is an excellent player and a good defender of the African continent.

"There are so few African players playing at the moment that we all need to come together to defend our continent. I wasn't aware that we were involved in a feud - the press made something out of nothing.

well who knows...   good to hear this  i get the feeling for the first time eto really wants to join us...

would be a great signing if it comes off...   watch this space...  :;):

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sun May 27, 2007 11:24 am

The main point is dont believe what u read in the papers.  He said his going to be at Barca next season so until I hear him say he wants to leave I wont believe anything newspapers will say.
puroresu

Postby *_Ruthless_* » Sun May 27, 2007 4:30 pm

Eto'o is happy again at Barca so speculation says ...
*_Ruthless_*

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun May 27, 2007 5:59 pm

I think the only thing we could possibly take from this 'interview' is that should eto'o leave the nou camp this summer then his preferred destination would appear to be Anfield. Thats just an assumption on my part though.

Looking at his all round play he would appear to be the kind of player that Rafa looks for. He's happy to move out to the flanks and come deep at times but unlike the strikers we've already got (KUYT) he has the pace and trickery and proven scoring record to be able to find the back of the net.

The current situation would appear to be that he is staying at barca cos we've heard it direct from his mouth, but then again they are still playing in spain and he may respect the club and fans at barcelona too much to come out and disrupt things as they are getting crucial by saying he will leave. If he does change his mind we'll obviously be the better off (assuming we sign him) but I get the feeling that it may tarnish his reputation in the eyes of many fans including ours.
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Sun May 27, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion