Benni faced with good problem?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:03 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Obviously we'd need a Hamman-style holding midfielder in the middle of the park for when we're caught short.

sorry ivor but i don't subscribe to this theory.

in the modern age, it baffles me when people talk about "holding players". in my opinion, top class defenders should not need a player of this magnitude to help them out. if we want to move forward then we need to ditch this concept, especially when playing at home, and replace hamann with a more attack minded player.

that's the bottom line.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:38 pm

Looking at Rafa's set-up at Valencia it seems he likes to play 2 dynamic holding players in the middle of the park. Gerrard is certainly dynamic but Hamman doesn't really fit this profile. It seems likely we will go for a player like Baraja, Albelda or a Davids instead of the Aimar, Joe Cole (creative type) many LFC fans would like or expect us to buy.

Also, Benitez talked about attacking as a TEAM. Hopefully this means the Full-backs will be encouraged to push on whenever the opportunity arises which in turn, lessens the need to have that creative jitterbug buzzing about the centre-park.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:46 pm

I think we'll hear about new signings next week, just before our tour of the states!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:20 pm

in the modern age, it baffles me when people talk about "holding players". in my opinion, top class defenders should not need a player of this magnitude to help them out. if we want to move forward then we need to ditch this concept, especially when playing at home, and replace hamann with a more attack minded player.

Stmichael, bear in mind that I was talking about a midfielder to protect a back 3 instead of a back 4. It was an example of an aggressive attacking team that is set up so that although we're attacking on several fronts, we're not leaving ourselves shafted at the back, such as (based on who we have at the moment)...

Dudek

Finnan    Hyypia     Riise

Hamman

Diouf                            Kewell

Gerrard

Baros

Cisse            Owen

So, depending on how you look at it, it's either a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 formation, with the holding midfielder filling in where the action is. Ideally, a Baraja or a Hargreaves - players that can make a tackle but aren't afraid to be seen in the opposition third - would fit the bill in the Hamman position, as I agree that he's not exactly allowing us to flourish as an attacking force.
ivor_the_injun

Postby fritzylfc » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:23 pm

rafa plays alot with one forward with pace from the fullbacks and an attacking midfield whose to say he,s gonna change that formation. baros owen and cisse might be fighting for one spot. :) :) :)
fritzylfc

Postby whylongball? » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:35 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:

Stmichael, bear in mind that I was talking about a midfielder to protect a back 3 instead of a back 4. It was an example of an aggressive attacking team that is set up so that although we're attacking on several fronts, we're not leaving ourselves shafted at the back, such as (based on who we have at the moment)...

Dudek

Finnan    Hyypia     Riise

Hamman

Diouf                            Kewell

Gerrard

Baros

Cisse            Owen

So, depending on how you look at it, it's either a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 formation, with the holding midfielder filling in where the action is. Ideally, a Baraja or a Hargreaves - players that can make a tackle but aren't afraid to be seen in the opposition third - would fit the bill in the Hamman position, as I agree that he's not exactly allowing us to flourish as an attacking force.

can any team in EPL play with 3 def formation? ???
ridiculous!
whylongball?

Postby supersub » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:26 pm

no
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby barnesrush » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:28 pm

Any three man defence shouldnt be made up of one centre half and two full backs as one of the important factors of using full backs is that generally they will attack aswell as defend.
With a three man defence the full backs would not be able to get forward as they would leave us exposed.
Ideally we will sign a new centre half who in a 3-4-3 formation could play alongside Hyppia and possibly Carra.
It wont happen but i would like to see this:
                                Kirkland

new signing     Hyppia      Carra

new signing     Gerrard            new signing         Kewell

Baros

Owen               Cisse
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion