All Three
31%
None
8%
Other
8%

Total votes : 26

Postby stevie_g » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:40 am

guys..c'mon..we are talking about one of the best defenders in the world....ayala played against a lot of worldclass strikers in ronaldo,raul,torres and many more...valencia won the league..and in aimar..if he comes to liverpool..then we can have the creative midfielder we needed....my doubt is only in canizares..i wouldn't want him in my team
stevie_g

Postby zackboxer » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:45 am

Canizares is one of thes best keepers in the world and getting him on a free then selling Dudek would be good business.
Aimar and Ayala are both quality and would defininately make the team stronger, so if we could afford them I'd buy them both.
The Mail reckoned today Valencia would be prepared to let them go because of the debt they are in. Aimar for 9m and Ayala 4m but guess it depends on the outcome of the whole Thai saga as to whether we'd have the money.
zackboxer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hd7ac » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:56 am

big al wrote:I think its great that so many of you are prepared to wiat a few seasons before we really challenge for the title.  That's the only possible outcome from an influx of foreign players and another foreign manager.  Perhaps someone here can prove me wrong but I can't recall a single foreign mamanger who made an imapct in his first season, as for the players, they need time to adapt the the speed of play, except that is if they are in the top 20 players in the world IE Henry, RVN ect.  Time is such a comodity these days its great to see the board and the fans so lavish with it.  I'm not saying any of the above are not great players but if we cant think of British or British based then no wonder the european cup is so hard to win.  Gone for good are the days when teams such as Celtic, Forrest, Man U, Asto Villa and Liverpool  won it whilst developing the games on these two tiny islands.

Do you really think any manager will come into liverpool in the state they are in at the moment and win us the title??? I think this view is totally unrealisic!! I think its great to see everyone united in supporting the boards decision. Big AL you say you cant think of any foreign manager to come in and make big impact in his first season , but i say why do we need a big impact in the first season?? surely we all want to see the sustained improvement over a number of season leading to us back where we should be? ROme wasnt built in a day my friend.  :p
hd7ac

Postby DAV » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:24 pm

I think we have a number of players who would walk into most teams.
Others with confidence can and will make and impact
All we need is a couple of clever well established buys.
(right side midfield and central defence)
Confidence has alot to do with why last season we failed against some poor opposition. Hense Gerrard and Owen were thinking about leaving.
Kewell is the best example
At Leeds he was excellent, but when things wern't going so well he under performed.
A bit like for us last season
Win the league next year, probabley not. However 2nd spot, possible.
Man Utd are all getting old together (Nevilles,Butt,Giggs,Scholes, AF has does signings which rank along side Biscan,Diou and Diouf and still hasn't come close to replacing Beckham
Chelsea are in a simular situation as us AGAIN but with more money, and never seem to have a settled side
Newcastle i think will just be competing with Villa spurs and the others for the uefa cup place next year
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:17 pm

Hd7ac, depends how you judge impact,

In Shankly's first 6 months he got rid of 18 playing staff. Thats impact, Oneill may not have won the Scottish league in his first season but his impact was pretty clear, Likewise Wenger who I would add is a rarity. 

I never said anything about winning the title next year, I said impact, and there are countless fans out there who would be happy with fourth place again if it meant the return of exciting football at Anfield.

Houllier my still be in a job today if he'd lost only to the big clubs, as it was every team in the premiership was capable of beating Liverpool, it was that, that in the end meant he had to go, Its one thing getting beat by the best but when the dreggs beat you, your in trouble. 

I would add that Pires seems to be agreeing with me, the premiership keeps bring foreign players and managers in, in the end what you get is local youngsters never getting a chance to develop.  Our home nation countries are not producing the young talent they once did.  We don't get the average players getting the chance to be great ( and I could give hundreds of names of players who came through and became legends)   But if everything is going to be about foreign players and managers in the future then Pires is right, France have truly nothing to fear.

As for Rome your right it was built in an instant, the instant Romulus and Remus named it.  Even if it was a shed they pronounced it an important place.  Such was their dreams and ambitions, so when we do finally get a manager, I hope he has those dreams and ambitions and he makes a similar impact as Romulus and Remus or better still as Shankly did that summer long ago.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:06 pm

Many rate Canizarez as the best keeper in Europe.

I like Kirkland but a big question mark must hang over his head at the moment due to his injuries. Dudek is a good keeper but selling him and bringing in Canizarez on a free transfer is good business.

Wenger won the league in his second season (actually his first full season as he took up his post at Highbury in October the previous season) but there was serious signs of immediate improvement from Arsenal in his first year there. Arsenal had a lot of good players when he joined but the club were underachieving and had serious problems off the pitch.

Liverpool at the moment probably have a squad roughly equal to that of Arsenal in 1996 (although we have very different players now to that of Arsenal of 96) but we don't have the off field problems Arsenal had then. The new manager needs time but realistically we need to see serious signs of improvement next year and a title challange at least the following year.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion