England captain? - Liverpool players in the role

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:55 am

if he lasts that long, McClaren is a bottler and is only warming the seat for Terry Venables.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:24 am

Who says abramovich's money wont bring much? hes bought the title (twice) and the league cup, and now the england captancy, hell why dont we make him prime minister?
Someone mentioned earlier about terry being a great team leader because of the money and i agree.
Where was he before this money came about???
Sod england, i really give up with the clowns the FA have in charge, COME ON LIVERPOOL!!
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:42 am

I've never been a fan of the England national team.

If it's not LFC, I just don't care.

I was too young to remember Mexico86.

At Euro88, I was more enthusiastic about Eire. I have always preferred them to England in terms of football. As the tournament went on, I was pro-Holland all the way. I thought the USSR national team were cool too.

At Italia90, I was more of a West Germany fan. I had that shirt they wore. That was a pretty cool shirt.

I have virtually no memory of Euro92 for some reason. At USA94 again I was happier that Eire qualified and I thought it was hilarious that England didn't. I wanted them to win Euro96 because I thought it would be good for the country, but they choked and disappointed everyone.

That was the first and only time I ever thought they had a chance of winning a major event. At France98 I wanted France to win it all the way through, and was happy that they did. Same goes with Euro2000.

With Japan/Korea2002, Euro2004 and Germany2006 I never for one second believed that England would win the tournament.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:37 am

Well i wish JT the best of luck. I sincerely hope England lives up to its potential now, but won't be holding my breath.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:22 am

Sky Sports - Rooney wants Terry's job in future
Wayne Rooney is hoping he will be considered the next time the England captain's job comes around, with John Terry having been named the new skipper of the national team.

ha ha ha lol, what a role model you are you plank!!
May as well give the job to a chimp, oh wait, they have!

Rooney for captain... dont make me laugh.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:24 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:I think it's good John Terry is captain.

He will lead England bravely into.....a quarter final exit at Euro 2008.

:laugh:

Well at least Gerrard can focus on being captain of Liverpool.
48-1119859832

Postby el_stinger » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:15 am

0asis wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:I think it's good John Terry is captain.

He will lead England bravely into.....a quarter final exit at Euro 2008.

:laugh:

Well at least Gerrard can focus on being captain of Liverpool.

That's valid.

Although it would have been very nice for a Liverpool player to be captain of England, especially the likes of Gerrard, his mind could have been on other things other than for his club. Now he can focus solely on bringing the title home, on many many occasions.

Gerrard will last much longer than Terry anyway iin club and international football. We are about to witness something very huge for the Liverpool Football Club.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:29 am

Well, good luck to England.

Stevie G shouldn't be so disheartened, he's a fabulous player and one of the best in the world. Doesn't need a armband while playing for your country and having to play out of position just so that a certain Chelsea midfielder (who had the most attempted shots on goals yet failed to score) can play in his favoured position.

The media attention and pressure of captaining England may get to Terry and Chelsea and may affect his game to our advantage. :)
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:30 am

and now McLaren is set to drop Beckham - YOU LOSER! Big mistake no 2.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:49 pm

Lee J wrote:and now McLaren is set to drop Beckham - YOU LOSER! Big mistake no 2.

beckham, sol campbell and david james have all been left out of the squad.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:56 pm

stmichael wrote:
Lee J wrote:and now McLaren is set to drop Beckham - YOU LOSER! Big mistake no 2.

That's not a mistake to be honest, it's out with the old and in with the new. I'd say he's been very wise and brave leaving three has beens out of the England squad.
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:06 pm

stmichael wrote:

Beckham and Campbell shouldn't have gone to the world cup, both past their best.  Campbell's injuries have caught up with him, while I think a lack of desire is more Beckham's problem - not as fit as he used to be and that used to be one of his biggest assets.  He's been on holiday since he joined Real Circus Act.

Although I don't rate James very highly - talented keeper but you just can't trust him - he is the only top flight English keeper with any sort of real experience as back-up to Robinson.  It's all very well leaving him out and including Kirkland and Foster in the squad for a friendly, but seriously, in a tight qualifying game with Robinson injured, are you seriously going to throw in Kirkland or Foster ahead of an experienced keeper??  I doubt it.  James is still England's best back-up, but that says more about the poor state of England's goalkeeping situation than it does about James' International credentials.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:11 pm

Squad:

Robinson (Tottenham), Kirkland (Liverpool), Foster (Man Utd); Bridge (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool), A Cole (Arsenal), Dawson (Tottenham), Ferdinand (Man Utd), G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Everton), Terry (capt, Chelsea), Young (Charlton); Downing (Middlesbrough), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Richardson (Man Utd), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea); Ashton (West Ham), Bent (Charlton), Crouch (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:20 pm

Richardson, Brown, Phil Neville and Jenas I don't agree with.  And I still think either Kirkland or Foster should have been left out for James.  But the rest is fair enough.

SWP, Ashton and Dawson should have had more of a chance last season under Sven.

Still no Parker though?  Maybe he's injured.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fingers » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:08 pm

On the Gerrard/Terry captaincy issue just found this

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment....&feed=5

interesting stuff!!

???
As always I am focused on supporting the Cloob and the Manager
Fingers

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion