Blues confirm mikel capture

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:33 pm

Chelsea have confirmed that Nigerian starlet John Obi Mikel has now formally signed for the Premiership champions, finally bringing a close to a bitter transfer war with Manchester United.

The two English giants announced on Friday night that they had come to an agreement over the future of the 19-year-old, with The Blues parting with £16 million to sign the midfielder from Norwegian outfit Lyn.

£12 million of that will go to United as a form of compensation, after the star initially agreed a deal with The Red Devils before claiming he had been pressured into signing the contract.

Mikel had always maintained he was desperate to join Jose Mourinho at Stamford Bridge, and after tying up all loose ends he is now officially The Blues' latest summer signing.

Mourinho has already brokered deals for Michael Ballack, Andrei Shevchenko, Salomon Kalou and Hilario since the end of the season, and Mikel's signing serves notice of their intention to continue recruiting the world's best young talent.

The prodigious teenager will now be able to focus on what should be a bright future at Stamford Bridge, after finally resolving the row which has dragged on for well over a year.

-----------------------------

I think the decision to give 12mill to Man U is  a plain injustice for Lyn. They've lost 12million pounds on a player that belonged to them. An utter disgrace.

:no
48-1119859832

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:10 pm

Manu must have had Chelsea by the balls to get so much. Just a pity we couldnt get a piece of paper proving Chelsea had illegaly approached Cisse. We might get what we paid for him then! I agree its very unfair on Lyn, would have been better if manu got £4million and Lyn had got the £12million.
account deleted by request

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:22 pm

Chelsea have got to be stopped now surely? It's getting beyond a joke now, they can spend huge money on players, just so they don't sign for a rival, even when they don't need the player.

They're destroying the game.

(I realise ManU aren't innocent in this particular instance, but Chelsea are always caught up in something - UEFA needs to stop them going too far)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:01 pm

they can do it. i dont see the massive deal myself. they are spending a lot of money but will just make it sweeter when we win the premiership
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:27 pm

Well i guess its one way of winning Champions league if you end up buying every player in the world

16 million it cost them, when their rouble bubble bursts, its going to be a very mighty fall
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:25 am

It's not the fact that Chelsea spent £16million on him. It's the fact that he was Lyn's player and they deserved the full £16million from Chelsea. Chelsea should of perhaps had to pay out another £12million to Man Utd for the fiasco with the player. Both the guilty parties Man Utd and Chelsea have pocketed something, Chelsea the player and United £12million whilst Lyn have gotten the s.hitty end of the stick, that's not on. If I was Lyn's chairman I'd appeal against that and ask for the other £12million.

I'm really starting to detest football in a somewhat sour manner. All the injustice is just unacceptable.
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:05 pm

Another good prospect's career ruined.  Mikel will leave Chelsea in a couple of years having not developed and having hardly had a sniff of first team action.  He will regret not going to United, as much as I hate them, at least Fergie gives young players a chance and knows how to nurture them.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:13 pm

Well i guess its one way of winning Champions league if you end up buying every player in the world

There was a team that bought Beckham, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Raul, and they failed blatantly to do that :;):
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CasLiverpool » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:52 pm

Hmm, I think Mikel is a very good player for Chelsea on the future. He's very young and can grow.
Come on Liverpool! We will Rock You!
CasLiverpool

Postby columbia » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:33 pm

0asis wrote:It's not the fact that Chelsea spent £16million on him. It's the fact that he was Lyn's player and they deserved the full £16million from Chelsea. Chelsea should of perhaps had to pay out another £12million to Man Utd for the fiasco with the player. Both the guilty parties Man Utd and Chelsea have pocketed something, Chelsea the player and United £12million whilst Lyn have gotten the s.hitty end of the stick, that's not on. If I was Lyn's chairman I'd appeal against that and ask for the other £12million.

I'm really starting to detest football in a somewhat sour manner. All the injustice is just unacceptable.

tbf lyn sold him to united and chelsea then took him from them. Lyn should be pretty happy with what they got considering he wasnt even their player.
columbia

Postby Alonso14 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:48 pm

Big woop they signed Obi Wan Kenobi. He isn't going to get a look in anyway, and he'll probably turn out to be 37. :D   As mentioned in Cool Hand Luke's post in the Martins thread.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:44 pm

john craig wrote:Another good prospect's career ruined.  Mikel will leave Chelsea in a couple of years having not developed and having hardly had a sniff of first team action.  He will regret not going to United, as much as I hate them, at least Fergie gives young players a chance and knows how to nurture them.

spot on john, along with kalou, there talents are ruined!

Shame really shame  :no
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:46 pm

Mourinho Hails Mikel's Potential

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hailed the potential of Jon Obi Mikel, the free-spending Premiership champions' lastest addition to their talented squad.

The Blues finally landed the Nigerian at the weekend from Lyn Oslo after a lengthy procedure that saw Manchester United, who originally claimed his signature, awarded some £12m in compensation.

Mourinho described seeing Mikel train with the Blues for the first time as falling in 'love' and believes he can now turn the youngster into the complete player.

Mourinho said: "He's a midfield player, we can teach him to be more complete, to defend better, and to get more intensity in the game.

"He's bright in the way he thinks football, technically he's fantastic, and it's just a point to get the intensity of the English game."

He added: "Everybody was in love, not just me but the players who were amazed at such a young boy coming from nowhere and training with us with such quality.

"You saw him in the African Cup playing like a giant in the middle of players like Jay-Jay Okocha, Yobo, Didier Drogba, Samuel Eto'o, at an absolutely unbelievable level. We know the level he can be."

-----------------
whatever maureen :no
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion