The odds - Liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:54 pm

Good Bob wrote:
bigmick wrote:England go into the tournament with the best central midfield partnership in the competition. They also in my opinion have the best central defensive partnership in the world Cup and the best left-back by a distance. The keeper is solid enough, as is the right back while the right midfielder is the best deleverer of a dead ball in football today.
Up top is where the weaknesses lie, as Owen looks nowhere near fir to me and is not in my opinion the player he once was anyway. Crouch while not being World-class will do a job.

It's easy to say "they're not good enough they won't win it" about any cup competition. After all by the nature of a knockout there can be only one winner so almost every time those that pick any team and say "they can't win it" will be proven correct. Based on current and previous form however, it is my assumption that Brazil will certainly reach the semi-finals. Similarly, if they can get their act together then I would expect as the host nation Germany would reach at least the quarters. Argentina are a very good team although like Brazil they originate from the wrong continent in this case. If Rooney was fit, then I would stick my neck out and say I fancied England very very strongly to win it. As it is, I think they go in with a big chance as one of the top three teams in my opinion. We shall see.

As for Shevcenko being the top goalscorer, I think we are confusing being "top striker" with top goalscorer. Knowing football is not the same as knowing gambling.

Mick please tell me mate you're having a laugh mate?

Lampard's so overated its untrue and Gerrard ain't a central midfielder mate. Neither of them can dictate and control a game against good sides. The other point is everyone knows they simply don't perform together.

Also you say the best central defense in the world cup? Terry? Get real mate. The lads another Jamie Carragher, never an international player. Campbell MAYBE if he can regain his old form.

Brazil will win the world cup. The only other sides that have a chance are Spain, France, Italy and the Argies. England aren't better than any of those sides and you're kidding yourself if you think they are. England have a half decent squad but its NOTHING on the squad they had last time. The one that beat Germany was the best England team i've ever seen including the one from Euro 96 which was also a good side. This current team is nowhere near those sides.

That team had Owen at his best, a developing Gerrard, Scholes and Beckham on top of there game, Ferdinand and Campbell at there best. The only weaknesses were a left winger and a goalkeeper. Now we have a goalkeeper, no Scholes, Beckham past his best, Campbell past his best, Owen nowhere near the same player as he once was and still the left wing causing major problems as Sven refuses to use Downing or Gareth Barry.

If you're going to sit there and say Cole is the answer out wide, Lampards anywhere near Scholes at his best, Campbell's as good as he was or Terry's as good and Ferdinand's still playing at his best level, combined with Owen being as good as he was and Rooney being unfit and we've got a chance i think you're completely deluded.

i dont agree with that at all, that england side wasnt that good.
heskey, barmby, seaman?
scholes was way past his best by then too.
gerrards not a central midfielder?
i`d like to see what you think consitutes a central midfield player because i happen to think he`s the best one i`ve ever seen at anfield, and i include the likes of souness, whelan, mcdermott, mcmahon and molby in that.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:27 pm

ALONSO wrote:I've looked on the ladbrokes site and can't find it, did you phone to get these odds?

Definitely on the website.

On the Quick Menu...

Football>>>
World Cup>>>
When in there, click the "World Cup 2006" link in the Highlights section.

Beneath the odds for "Tournament Winner" are the odds for "Tournament Goalscorer"

As I type this, he's still 40-1

I've only put £2 on. Was tempted to throw a tenner in, but I'm brassic at the moment.  :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby ALONSO » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:26 am

Cheers mate.
ALONSO

Postby weringo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:54 am

Sometimes I am sure Stu just says these things to wind us up.
Beckham past his best? His performance against Hungary was one of the best he's ever had for England
Terry not international level? I dont even know what to say to this
Gerrard not a central midfielder? What is he then?
Lampard overated? Maybe slightly but he still gets the job done and was our top scorer in the qualifiers
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:59 am

It is of course all a matter of opinion and it's more than OK if people differ. My own opinion is that John Terry is just about the best centre-half around right now bar none. If Chelsea were to put him on the market there would be an absolute scrum for his services from every major team around Europe. International class? certainly and he would walk into any other team in the World Cup.
Campbell is a player I have liked very much over the years. He deservedly made it into the team of the tournament last time but alas is past his best now. Ferdinand however is out of the top drawer and I can pay England's two first choice centre-backs no greater compliment that saying that they deservedly keep Carragher out of the team.
Lampard is overrated by the press on occasions in my view. That said, his goalscoring record over a sustained period for both club and country is nothing short of staggering. He is coveted by all the major teams throughout Europe and despite being not of the standard of our captain, is currently amongst the best midfielders around. Joe Cole is the answer on the left in my opinion, in the sense that he is the best option which is available to us right now. Downing may in time become a serious challenger but at the moment, his claims for a permanent first-team spot are not credible in my view. Gareth Barry is some way short of being International class if anybody asks me. Other than the fact that he is naturally left-footed he has limited appeal in any part of his game and is merely a decent Premiership player, akin to his clubmate Lee Hendry. I would be absolutely staggered if he ever pulls an England shirt on again.

As I said though, it's all a matter of opinion and I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over somebody disagreeing. I've been wrong before and I may well be wrong again  :) . Just to stoke up the controversy a little more, I've just re-read the Ashton thread and have an opinion on that too. Though he has settled well at West Ham and has more to his game than I gave him credit for, I am not as convinced as many that he is a fish that we missed out on. I have said before and make no apologies for saying again, we paid the same amount for Crouch as West Ham paid for Ashton and I think we bought much the better player.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:24 pm

stmichael wrote:
RedorDead wrote:I am not a big fan of Lampard and believe he is over rated....BUT.... he has just scored his 19th international goal in his 40th game for England. How is that not international class for a midfielder?

no freaking way has lampard scored 19 goals for england.

Apologies...i may have gotten a touch confused...but he has now scored 12 in 40 which for a midfielder is a pretty decent return at international level.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:11 pm

Good Bob wrote:
bigmick wrote:England go into the tournament with the best central midfield partnership in the competition. They also in my opinion have the best central defensive partnership in the world Cup and the best left-back by a distance. The keeper is solid enough, as is the right back while the right midfielder is the best deleverer of a dead ball in football today.
Up top is where the weaknesses lie, as Owen looks nowhere near fir to me and is not in my opinion the player he once was anyway. Crouch while not being World-class will do a job.

It's easy to say "they're not good enough they won't win it" about any cup competition. After all by the nature of a knockout there can be only one winner so almost every time those that pick any team and say "they can't win it" will be proven correct. Based on current and previous form however, it is my assumption that Brazil will certainly reach the semi-finals. Similarly, if they can get their act together then I would expect as the host nation Germany would reach at least the quarters. Argentina are a very good team although like Brazil they originate from the wrong continent in this case. If Rooney was fit, then I would stick my neck out and say I fancied England very very strongly to win it. As it is, I think they go in with a big chance as one of the top three teams in my opinion. We shall see.

As for Shevcenko being the top goalscorer, I think we are confusing being "top striker" with top goalscorer. Knowing football is not the same as knowing gambling.

Mick please tell me mate you're having a laugh mate?

Lampard's so overated its untrue and Gerrard ain't a central midfielder mate. Neither of them can dictate and control a game against good sides. The other point is everyone knows they simply don't perform together.

Also you say the best central defense in the world cup? Terry? Get real mate. The lads another Jamie Carragher, never an international player. Campbell MAYBE if he can regain his old form.

Brazil will win the world cup. The only other sides that have a chance are Spain, France, Italy and the Argies. England aren't better than any of those sides and you're kidding yourself if you think they are. England have a half decent squad but its NOTHING on the squad they had last time. The one that beat Germany was the best England team i've ever seen including the one from Euro 96 which was also a good side. This current team is nowhere near those sides.

That team had Owen at his best, a developing Gerrard, Scholes and Beckham on top of there game, Ferdinand and Campbell at there best. The only weaknesses were a left winger and a goalkeeper. Now we have a goalkeeper, no Scholes, Beckham past his best, Campbell past his best, Owen nowhere near the same player as he once was and still the left wing causing major problems as Sven refuses to use Downing or Gareth Barry.

If you're going to sit there and say Cole is the answer out wide, Lampards anywhere near Scholes at his best, Campbell's as good as he was or Terry's as good and Ferdinand's still playing at his best level, combined with Owen being as good as he was and Rooney being unfit and we've got a chance i think you're completely deluded.

Clearly some rubbish being chatted here...

Gerrard not a central midfielder?
Terry never an International player?
Carragher never an International player?
The current England side is nothing to the side that beat Germany?
Barry should be preferred to Joe Cole on the left?
Raul has a good chance of being top scorer in the world cup?

Some of those statements are outrageous :D  :laugh:

For me Gerrard is a better right midfielder than a central one, but he made his name as a centre mid, it is his preferred position and he is still one of the best in the world in that position, Steven Gerrard is a central midfielder by trade in most peoples' eyes and the best one we've ever had at this club.

Terry and Carragher are the 2 best English defenders in the premiership and have been for 2 seasons now.  Any side in the world would take Terry in a heartbeat, while we all know how good a player Carra is.  To rate Ferdinand above these 2 is nonsense.  Yes he has more footballing talent, but that means nothing if you have a tendency to switch off on a regular basis and make costly mistakes - something that Ferdinand had cut out for a while but is now creeping back into his game frequently.  He's still in the side purely on past reputation and for me is the main reason why England will not win the world cup.

The current English side is the best set of individuals I can remember, far better than the side that beat Germany 5-1, when let's face it, Germany didn't show up, England played well and basically it was a freak result.  Whether Sven can mould the current crop into a winning team remains to be seen, but if for example someone like Benitez or Wenger was the coach, I would put serious money on England winning the world cup with their current players.  To say a team containing Barmby and Heskey is better than the current side is ridiculous.

Barry over Cole?  Not a chance.  Barry is a solid premiership player who happens to be left footed, no more than that.  Joe Cole has won me over, even midway through this season I wasn't convinced, but he has come on leaps and bounds and is genuinely one of England's best attacking threats now.  He's going to be a major asset this summer and it just goes to show what confidence can do for a player.

And Raul a good bet to be top goalscorer?  Spain will do well to make the quarters imo but no further.  Have you seen Raul play this season?  Obviously not...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:25 pm

I believe SGE did the right thing when he played Carra (or anyone really) behind Lampard-Gerrard in CM. The mistake he made was to play Owen and not Crouch up front on his own. But that was a test and he wants Owen in.

People talk about 4-4-2, 4-5-1 etc, but the real problem is this:

* SGE wants to play Owen up front. But you should partner him with a 2nd striker.
* He wants to use all of Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham at the same time. None of them should play in the most defensive midfield role.

The two don't match. So does he sacrifice Owen (and play Crouch), or does he play both and play a flat four (without that defensive midfielder)? Or should he put Lampard or Gerrard on the bench? The solution that will make everyone happy is to play the flat four midfield and two up front but IMO it doesn't give you the best team. I assume that is why SGE keeps testing.

The brave move would be to ditch Gerrard/Lampard and play Carrick instead, with Owen-Crouch up front. However to be honest, if we can't top the group without a defensive midfielder anyway, then we don't deserve to win anything.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:33 pm

Stu do you know what really f'cks me off about your posts ?
Not the fact that your opinion is right, is also final and the only one that counts, i can let that go over my head.

But why the f'ck do you always bring every thread to the same old 'class/not class' debate ?
Carraghers not international class, Terrys not world class ?
For one i think you are wrong in most of your bold statements and for another the class/level of ability of the player is not the only think that should be taken into consideration. Attitude and mental toughness as well as desire to win are all major factors for any sportsman, Carragher and John Terry have these in abundance and Rio Ferdinand has none.
You can fire back all the Ferdinands more athletic better in the air and quicker nonsense, but there is no way in the world i would rather have Rio in my starting 11 ahead of either Terry or Carragher.
Try and realise that there is more to building a team than picking the players you think have the best attributes, you need winners and leaders, John Terry is both.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fission » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:14 pm

Good Bob wrote:Mick please tell me mate you're having a laugh mate?

You dont half talk a load of sh.it, u sure your a football fan?
Fission

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion