Stevie staunton - Manager of ireland good luck

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:02 pm

I would like to dedicate this thread to Steve Staunton an ex red servant who i for one thought was very underated as a player.To manage your country is the  greatest honour you can have and as a life time reds fan i wish him all the luck in the world.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmist » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:58 pm

Cant fault your sentiments, drummerphil. Only one thing that gets me about these sort of appointments, even at club level i would be flamin worried about a new manager with no management experience to speak of. let alone international level! Its like giving the England job to even Alan Shearer- id be well worried. The Taffs are always on about it too- Gary Speed for instance. Surely having passion for your country aint enough?

"Just say NO to artex"    :D
redmist

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:23 pm

Stan Staunton was a proper Liverpool player.

Souness was nuts in selling him.  :no  :no  :no
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby darwisigila » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:51 am

yes he was like finnan...........unsung hero
darwisigila

Postby Dundalk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:43 am

Fair play drummerphil, steve is from my home town of Dundalk and we are all very proud of him.

Good luck steve.  :buttrock
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gaunt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:46 am

I'm a little worried about the fact he has no previous managerial experience but i'm willing to give him a go and hope that he is very successful. I'm still a little unsure about the Bobby Robson thing as well, how can you effectively have two managers? It didn't work for Evans and Houllier and im interested to see if it works here. Anyway all the best Steve  :)
Gaunt

Postby azriahmad » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:40 am

The press report on the official unveiling of Staunton did not give a very good impression of his appointment by largely saying that even Staunton "was not clear on the role of Bobby Robson". I fear that his relative inexperience as manager will be a big problem for him.

I remembered him as a very solid player, reliable and consistent. Good luck, Steve Staunton.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:29 am

Yeah he has tough ask i think but all the best, great and underrated servant for the club
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:31 pm

Good Player, shocking appointment in my opinion, Aldo was the man for that job, its fu*king made for him, hes been on the shortlist twice now and lost out to Brian Kerr and Stan, must be gutted.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby AlanHansen » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:28 pm

Garymac wrote:Good Player, shocking appointment in my opinion, Aldo was the man for that job, its fu*king made for him, hes been on the shortlist twice now and lost out to Brian Kerr and Stan, must be gutted.

I think the reason he got it was because he would not rock the boat like an established manager would.

I have a lot of time for Staunton, decent player and seems like a sound lad as well, he has a good oppertunity with some decent young players coming through like Stephen Elliot and that Ireland bloke who plays for city, we could do with a decent manager for once.  :(
AlanHansen

Postby roykeane16 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:44 pm

stevie will do a fine job for us :D
roykeane16

Postby flipmode » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:50 pm

Good Luck Stevie :)

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
flipmode
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:56 pm

Stan happens to be best mates with the chief of the FAI, john delaney....john delaney is a complete and utter idiot, who got the job by playing dirty politics and nepotism...The FAI are the worst run organisation ever , I have had dealings with them a good bit and they never miss an opportunity to prove what buffons they are....the Bobby Robson thing is a joke, they spend 250,000 a year on him as a "oh the media will destroy us if i give the job to my buddy steve" whose,  incidently, sole managerial history was as player coach to Paul Merson at walsall who incidently has since lost his job....I wouldnt mind it but all the usual fools who backed mick mccarthy against roy keane (Staunton, Alan Kelly and that fool Niall Quinn) were instrumental in getting Stan the job....(alan kelly is the keeper coach...what a joke) (niall quinn aparently got in contact with Robson to see if he was interested...) Sorry for ranting but Im Irish and I hope the Irish team loose all there games Im not anti Steve Staunton a solid player for liverpool in his day ...but he shud never ever have got that job...a kid who has played the computer game championship manager has the same experience as he does.....My rant is directed at the FAI
Last edited by Pedro O'Maradona on Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro O'Maradona

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge