The question is.......

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby rse » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:22 pm

Although I openly support the team, unlike many of the boo boys at the game recently, and respective Houllier's objectives and commitment.  I seriously wonder if he is competent enough to carry through the job he started.

There have been many questionable  tactical decisions made by Houllier over the last few years.  His use of the lone striker against opposition that we should be controlling is one of them.

He allows opponents to have the ball while we sit back.  He allows opponents to gain major shares of ball possession allowing them to grow in confidence.  These teams should be worried about playing Liverpool, and not vice versa.

The body language of Houllier in televised interviews and the inflections in his voice in radio interviews seem to indicate a man who is losing faith in his own ability.  The way the team is performing as a whole mirrors that loss of faith.

How can Houllier motivate this team when he doesnt seem to believe in himself anymore?

I cant decide whether 4th place for Liverpool would actually be good for the club.  If we finish 4th I tend to think that the cracks will have been papered over on what has been another  dismal season of under achievement.  We will continue on the road of the never ending 5 year plan and probably fail to progress beyond the group stages of the European Cup next season.

If, however we finish in a miserable 6th or 7th (still quite conceivable), the situation will call for urgent review and consideration.  This review must incorporate the manager, the players and quite possibly the board.

We need to progress and develop.  We are so far behind the top teams in this country that we cant even see them anymore.

I think I want 4th place, but Im not sure if its best for Liverpool.

The Ultimate Kop Nostalgia
'Sing When We're Standing' is an audio cd of the Kop recorded at Anfield during the last ever game standing in 1994.  Quite simply, its the power and passion of the Kop captured on cd.  For more details and to hear a sample from the cd please visit www.kopcd.co.uk
rse

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:27 pm

now that it appears houllier will definitely be here next season every single fan should want us to finish 4th. this club needs champions league football. certain people were hoping we would finish 5th just so we could get rid of houllier, but it doesn't look like that will happen anyway. i'm not happy with him having 30m to spend though.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:47 pm

I still cannot see the logic in handing Houllier money for new players.If he has 30 or 40million to spend this summer then surely he must be given another couple of years to see how his new team works out.Are the board prepared to give him that long?And if it doesnt work out how will we attract a top manager when we have no money left to spend?No,im convinced Houllier will leave this summer and that money will be used as bait to attract someone like O`Neill,Capello or Mourinho.Its the only scenario that makes sense.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rimetto » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:53 pm

I think we need 4th to be able to buy the quality players. The best players are not going to come to anfield for UEFA cup football or even Intertoto. If he's staying and the board are going to risk that amount of money then we MUST reach 4th or the club will be in trouble.

Please don't let us go down the Leeds path.
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:55 pm

if we did a leeds then that would be the biggest mismanagement story in the history of world football. people also forget that 4th doesn't necessarily guarantee you champions league (ask newcastle).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion