A question about momo

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:07 pm

I agree Momo is no Vierra, both in the sense that he is not as good but also JBG in the sense that for me he is a different type of player. In fact as I've said before on a couple of occasions, sissoko is almost unique in the way he hunts the ball deep in opposition territory if he is given his head. t is in this way that he becomes very destructive and dangerous to play against. He isn't going to split the oppositions defence with a through ball but he will at the very least cause them to alter the way they move the ball around, and quite possibly win the ball for you in a very dangerous position.
With thegreatest respect JBG I can't take the Carlton Palmer comparison seriously enough to think of a sensible comment so I'll just say I don't agree  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:20 pm

bigmick wrote:I agree Momo is no Vierra, both in the sense that he is not as good but also JBG in the sense that for me he is a different type of player. In fact as I've said before on a couple of occasions, sissoko is almost unique in the way he hunts the ball deep in opposition territory if he is given his head. t is in this way that he becomes very destructive and dangerous to play against. He isn't going to split the oppositions defence with a through ball but he will at the very least cause them to alter the way they move the ball around, and quite possibly win the ball for you in a very dangerous position.
With thegreatest respect JBG I can't take the Carlton Palmer comparison seriously enough to think of a sensible comment so I'll just say I don't agree  :D

People scoff at the Palmer comparison and he was a figure of fun (particularly when he played for England when the Dutch called him the "basketballer") but I don't really see an enormous difference in the two. Sissoko is surrounded by better footballers than Palmer ever was which can mask some of his deficiences and allow him to play at a higher level (such as the Champions League) but I wonder if Benitez hadn't plunged for him in 2005 and he had gone to Everton instead would we have heard people describe him as the "new Carlton Palmer" rather than the "new Patrick Vieira"?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby kunilson » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:27 pm

as i said before......what happened to the days when CM's could do a little bit of everything, not one has to stay back and one has licence to go forward.....

has the game changed that much? i dont think its unreasonable to say that CM's have to be able to be good passers of the ball at the very least, i thought maybe momo would be better at passing over time but i dont know. still a hell of a tackler
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:31 pm

It'll come with Momo, I'm convinced of it. Carlton Palmer will be a distant memory before too much longer (albeit a very tall and ugly one).
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:02 pm

Well I did check the stats the other day and there was no tangible defensive advantage to his inclusion in terms of goals conceded but Liverpool score more goals per game when he doesn't play. Could simply be because we play a different formation to accomodate him but I agree wholeheartedly with JBG that the inability to do basics is unforgiveable.

Saying that Xabi Alonso has this horrid tendancy to play a stupid, inaccurate pass that lands us in trouble. Sort it our Xabi. I think rotating the team may see Mascherano, Gerrard and Alonso rotating in midfield with Gerrard playing on the right sometimes. I'd loan Sissoko out for a season to see if he can improve. If the ability to win the ball is his only real asset then I can't see him being part of a title winning squad
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grayghost » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:13 pm

It seems to me that momo is playing his football to far forward. When he joined he was playing just in front of the defence now he is  getting to far forward and it's to congested up there for him. And he is losing the ball to much has not rearly impoved since he joined
grayghost

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion