Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:15 pm

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:48 pm

Like it  :cool:

Except that it should read "would HAVE conquered the world" not "would OF..."

I'm also guessing that that wasn't you who wrote that Leon?

:kungfu:
Last edited by Woollyback on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:08 pm

Here are some memorable quotes from the legend himself.

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly

"The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe that you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." Bill Shankly

"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

"Son, you'll do well here as long as you remember two things. Don't over-eat and don't lose your accent." Bill Shankly to Ian St John

"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against." Bill Shankly about the 'This is Anfield' plaque

YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:31 pm

:bump
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:32 pm

bump for day.. will return it to the Kop forum tomorrow
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:45 am

:bowdown
115-1073096938

Postby laza » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:50 am

Amen
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sharkster » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:15 am

nice post dude
The best wristbands around 'You'll Never Walk Alone' for only £1.00.............Mail me for details

sharkster

Postby Benitez No1 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:24 am

No Reds manager has been loved more than Shanks and it was not just because of his remarkable managerial achievements at Anfield.

Off the pitch he was one of us, the ultimate people's man and here a just a few of the many reasons why...

When arriving at the stadium in Bruges to co-commentate on the second leg of the 1976 UEFA Cup Final he meets some fans who have hitched a lift from Liverpool to Belgium and without hesitation takes out his wallet and gives them £60.

A retired docker is dismayed to discover that his usual season-ticket seat, which he'd sat in for years had been moved without explanation. He goes down to Anfield to find out why but to no avail. He then spots Shankly coming out of the ground, explains the situation to him and then waits as the boss goes back inside and promptly gets the ticket office staff to rectify the problem.

Regularly inviting fans into his home on Bellefield Avenue for a cup of tea and a chat after they had plucked up the courage to knock and ask for an autograph.

His response to the meagre allocation of tickets for the 1965 FA Cup Final: "What can you do with 15,000 Cup Final tickets in a place like Liverpool? They'd eat them for tea and not notice. Any tickets I have are going to the boys on the Kop."

Scolding a police officer in front of the Kop for standing on a Liverpool scarf as the players embarked on a victorious lap of honour after clinching the 1972/73 League title. "That's somebody's life son," he told him in no uncertain terms.

Saving three young Liverpudlians from being thrown off a train by an inspector after they'd bunked into first class on a journey home from watching the Reds in London. On overhearing the conversation he offered to pay their fares and then dropped them off home in a taxi after returning to Lime Street.

It's a hot summer's day in West Derby and a group of local kids are out on the field playing football. Suddenly, Shankly arrives on the scene and proceeds to engage in an hour long kick-about with the star-struck youngsters. Apparently this was a common occurence on the playing field that was later renamed in his honour.

Standing on the Kop alongside his adoring fans shortly after his retirement as Liverpool manager. This is where he felt he belonged.

Bill Shankly: You will never walk alone.
Benitez No1

Postby Woollyback » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:33 am

well bumped SS  :nod

Anyone who hasn't already read Stephen F Kelly's book "Mr Shankly's Photograph" should do so at the earliest available opportunity. It shows what a great man Shanks was and how he came to epitomise The Liverpool Way

Now let's do the business on Sunday in the Great Man's memory
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:56 am

What a great man.  I was very young when he left and Bob Paisley (another great man) took over. But my dad always talks about him.

One thing that annoys me about the current team (and teams of the last 5 or so years) is that hardly anyone touches the sign as they are leaving the dressing rooms to get to the pitch, which is something that was started in the Shankley Days.

God bless you Shanks, You, will definately, Never Walk Alone!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:23 pm

Words can't describe him.  :bowdown
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:54 pm

A giant of the game. He's like Liverpool's Gandhi or George Washington, the father of our club.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:07 pm

Because I'm too young to remember him, when I hear or see his name written I think of some larger than life being, a bit like a god really.  Sorry if anybody finds that blasphemous but that's how I see it really.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:07 pm

shankly was passing bobby charltons home he popped in for a chat, bobby came down stairs smoking a fag shankly got to his feet and walked out, bobby asked what the problem was shankly replied it dos,nt matter son.:D :D
fritzylfc

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion