Shankly

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:52 am

Saint them words mate came from some lad from Rawk but they came from the heart. People go on about getting back to basics well for me this is were my basics started with this great man. Can you imagine him being manager today and some of them players just strutting around the pitch Yeh right.

Can you imagine him with these two yanks in charge he never trusted chaiman at the best of times but thes two i think hed be on the kop with us singin about them.

And now your gonna get some smart ar.se come on and say now well we wouldnt be in this position or he wouldnt do that.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:52 am

last (and only) time i heard his name sung at anfield was the 30th april 1994, the last day on the old kop. we also sung "there's only one mrs shankly" when nessie was introduced.

i'm not sure we need to sing his name though; we all know what he means to liverpool football club but i doubt he was the kind of man who would really want to hear his name sung. i dunno, just wish we could find a man who could do for our club what he did back then. anyone who wants to know about the man should read "mr shankly's photograph" by stephen kelly
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:57 am

Reg wrote:Great post Nanny, and perfect timing. I was away this weekend and only got to see the FA Cup score on the net around midnight. I was devastated.

I spent the other night surfing the net when I posted those  Bob tributes for you.

I came across one other video, just a few seconds long, but on reflection it was the difference between what Shanks built and what our recent managers have failed to achieve, its THE reason why we lost to Barnsley.

Take a look and tell me you dont agree. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_XSdOLFSU&feature=related

Have a good evening. :;):

I was in the crowd that day Reg unforgettable .

That clip should be played to the players in the dressing room thats what you call a war cry :bowdown
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:59 am

NANNY RED wrote:Saint them words mate came from some lad from Rawk but they came from the heart. People go on about getting back to basics well for me this is were my basics started with this great man. Can you imagine him being manager today and some of them players just strutting around the pitch Yeh right.

Can you imagine him with these two yanks in charge he never trusted chaiman at the best of times but thes two i think hed be on the kop with us singin about them.

And now your gonna get some smart ar.se come on and say now well we wouldnt be in this position or he wouldnt do that.

Nanny, none of the current squad would be playing for Liverpool if Shanks was in charge for one very good reason. Any player who had an agent, didn't play for Liverpool under Shanks. He didn't agree with them.

I think we should get back to those days.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Rush Job » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:01 am

redtrader74 wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Sorry John but i dont agree with you there mate I dont give a s.hit about the mancs singin whoevers name . And yes we sing Raffa name but i think what this lad is trying to point out is we are who we are because of Shanks.

I would love it if we started singing his name again especialy tomorrow night . The man gave me so much joy that sometimes i thought my heart was gonna explode so i agree with this lad sing it loud and clear like we used to on the kop Lets get the old spirit back again

Good shout Nanny, anything that will get the place buzzing with emotion and nostalgia will help create an atmosphere. It won't be a problem tomorrow, but all too often most of Anfield is very quiet these days, people seem embarassed to sing.

To right, i only get to a few games a season these days but imo theres less support less singing and much less noise bar jeering and booing, id hate to be a young lad trying to come though these days, also as ive said before i think we fans should take some of the blame for the poor home form, we need to get back to supporting - building players up not knocking them down. It seems the oppo like playing at anfield more than our lads do, wonder why? Lets get back to supporting!!!
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:03 am

Reg wrote:Great post Nanny, and perfect timing. I was away this weekend and only got to see the FA Cup score on the net around midnight. I was devastated.

I spent the other night surfing the net when I posted those  Bob tributes for you.

I came across one other video, just a few seconds long, but on reflection it was the difference between what Shanks built and what our recent managers have failed to achieve, its THE reason why we lost to Barnsley.

Take a look and tell me you dont agree. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_XSdOLFSU&feature=related

Have a good evening. :;):

I was there, just a young lad, but even now the hairs on the back of me neck stand up. Some of the current squad could do with watching it. Let them feel the same way.

The majority of today's players aren't worthy of lacing the boots of those players Shanks was with.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:05 am

I dont think a songs necessary. Yes he made liverpool what they are today, that is why there is a statue of him. Besides I dont think any song could do him justice. The statue says it all. He was and still is revered by all supporters, players and managers of this great club.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:06 am

Liverpool fans have turned like all fans of nowadays. They turn up for the big and important games, every European game the noise is unbareable, but Wigan at home you're lucky to hear you'll never walk alone.

We still have the ability to repsect the opposition, by applauding them if they do well i.e. Barnsley on Saturday. But we need to get back to the days of singing our hearts out every match. As a set of fans, right now it's just pockets of fans.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:20 am

Kharhaz wrote:I dont think a songs necessary. Yes he made liverpool what they are today, that is why there is a statue of him. Besides I dont think any song could do him justice. The statue says it all. He was and still is revered by all supporters, players and managers of this great club.

Khahaz i understand were your coming from but lets get some pride back in being a Liverpool fan we used to scare the s.hit out of teams just by singin and our own players used to buzz off us . That man made me proud to call myself a Liverpudlian who would argue till the cows came home defending my club,

As i said before i agree with the lad who wrote the piece tomorrow night lets send out our battle cry once more were in a war at the mo mate so lets rally the troops again for another attack
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:26 am

NANNY RED wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:I dont think a songs necessary. Yes he made liverpool what they are today, that is why there is a statue of him. Besides I dont think any song could do him justice. The statue says it all. He was and still is revered by all supporters, players and managers of this great club.

Khahaz i understand were your coming from but lets get some pride back in being a Liverpool fan we used to scare the s.hit out of teams just by singin and our own players used to buzz off us . That man made me proud to call myself a Liverpudlian who would argue till the cows came home defending my club,

As i said before i agree with the lad who wrote the piece tomorrow night lets send out our battle cry once more were in a war at the mo mate so lets rally the troops again for another attack

An anfield stadium in full cry cannot be matched by any other stadium anywhere around the world. This is caused by the supporters, and thanks to shankly, we have had many great moments to sing about. I dont think the supporters need to sing about shankly, they just need to sing about the occasion, I would love for liverpool to score 3 and hear the old rendition of "OH INTER 1-2-3, GO BACK TO ITALY ! ". A good performance from the boys will get our voices back.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:31 am

Kharhaz wrote:I dont think a songs necessary.

Its not song, its a war cry. You hear the call, you respond.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:33 am

But thats the point this is the occasion when it would be perfect . He and our club suffered the most blatent cheating you will ever see against Inter we was robbed our our first Euro cup imo
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:37 am

Shanks hit a copper because the copped kicked a Liverpool scarf off the pitch, that alone deserves a song. I said earlier I don't think we needed to sing, but Nanny has won me round. Sing for Shanks.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Rush Job » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:49 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Liverpool fans have turned like all fans of nowadays. They turn up for the big and important games, every European game the noise is unbareable, but Wigan at home you're lucky to hear you'll never walk alone.

We still have the ability to repsect the opposition, by applauding them if they do well i.e. Barnsley on Saturday. But we need to get back to the days of singing our hearts out every match. As a set of fans, right now it's just pockets of fans.

Yes mate but its not just the singing, we dont support the players like we used to and it seems most of them like playing away more than home where theres less presure on them. That aint right and its not a good atmos for youngsters and new signings, if you dont get off to a flyer it must feel like everyones agaist ya at times, course it doesnt help when the teams playing kac but we should be helping them out of a slump not contributing to it. Just how i feel mate thats all.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:56 am

Rush Job wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Liverpool fans have turned like all fans of nowadays. They turn up for the big and important games, every European game the noise is unbareable, but Wigan at home you're lucky to hear you'll never walk alone.

Yes mate but its not just the singing, we dont support the players like we used to and it seems most of them like playing away more than home where theres less presure on them. That aint right and its not a good atmos for youngsters and new signings, if you dont get off to a flyer it must feel like everyones agaist ya at times, course it doesnt help when the teams playing kac but we should be helping them out of a slump not contributing to it. Just how i feel mate thats all.

I see your point, and to a large degree I agree with it, but the fans have always backed the players, certainly at the ground, but when this "slump" has been going on for 4/5 months even the most heartened fans lose patience.
god_bless_john_houlding

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion