Shankly.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mottman » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:13 am

“My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt. We don’t need to motivate players because each of them is responsible for the performance of the team as a whole. The status of Liverpool’s players keeps them motivated. For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side. The fans here are the greatest in the land.  They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great – yet humble. I’m just one of the people who stands on the Kop. They think the same as I do, and I think the same as they do. It’s a kind of marriage of people who like each other. At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques. Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple. I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her. A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves. Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say ‘We’re Liverpool’. If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.”

mottman

Postby Dalglish » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:33 am

I'm filling up here Mottman  :laugh: great words from a  great man, I sincerely hope this doesn't develop into look how good Shanks was and how sh##e GH is.....too much has been said on that subject already.......Walk on

3-0 Sunday , a stroll  :cool:
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HOMELEIGHKOP » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:34 pm

i know them and i was there shanks will live 4 ever in our hearts we will "WALK ON"
"RED IS THE COLOUR"
HOMELEIGHKOP

Postby big al » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:57 am

The words of Shankly are up there along with some of the great orators of our times.  He was for football what Churchhill was for the nation.  He brought a poverty striken city belief and made their dreams a reality.  He was truly a great man. 

Shankly built a castle, a fortress which was Anfield and how the mighty fell before it.  He left a legacy for all those that followed him.  They had to merely stay behind the walls of the fortress and keep every thing simple.  For he was right "football is a simple game complicated by fools". 

Today we have the biggest fool who opened the gates made the fortress the house of weird and silly
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby coops » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:28 pm

He's turned us into a brothel. Everyone that walks through those gates gets a result.  :angry:
coops

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:56 am

thats nearly an amusing comment  :)
115-1073096938

Postby supersub » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:09 pm

hardly,it's not far from the truth.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:28 pm

Here is one of the most famous quotes made by Bill Shankly when he spoke with a Liverpool fan, who originated from London:

Shankly: "Where are you from lad?"
Liverpool fan: "I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
Shankly: "Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

"People Say football is a matter of life and death" , " I believe it is much more important than that", Bill Shankly.
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion