Bill shankly - A few fond memories...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:50 pm

just read this on the official site... and felt id open a topic for dear bill.

mourhino would do well to pop in for a look..

:bowdown  R.I.P immortal man of the people.

WHY SHANKS WAS THE REAL PEOPLE'S MANAGER
Mark Platt 29 September 2005 

On the 24th anniversary of the late great Bill Shankly's death, Liverpoolfc.tv pays tribute to the greatest manager football has ever known by recalling a few of the moments that made the man from Glenbuck so special. 
No Reds manager has been loved more than Shanks and it was not just because of his remarkable managerial achievements at Anfield.

Off the pitch he was one of us, the ultimate people's man and here a just a few of the many reasons why...

When arriving at the stadium in Bruges to co-commentate on the second leg of the 1976 UEFA Cup Final he meets some fans who have hitched a lift from Liverpool to Belgium and without hesitation takes out his wallet and gives them ??60.

A retired docker is dismayed to discover that his usual season-ticket seat, which he'd sat in for years had been moved without explanation. He goes down to Anfield to find out why but to no avail. He then spots Shankly coming out of the ground, explains the situation to him and then waits as the boss goes back inside and promptly gets the ticket office staff to rectify the problem.

Regularly inviting fans into his home on Bellefield Avenue for a cup of tea and a chat after they had plucked up the courage to knock and ask for an autograph.

His response to the meagre allocation of tickets for the 1965 FA Cup Final: "What can you do with 15,000 Cup Final tickets in a place like Liverpool? They'd eat them for tea and not notice. Any tickets I have are going to the boys on the Kop."

Scolding a police officer in front of the Kop for standing on a Liverpool scarf as the players embarked on a victorious lap of honour after clinching the 1972/73 League title. "That's somebody's life son," he told him in no uncertain terms.

Saving three young Liverpudlians from being thrown off a train by an inspector after they'd bunked into first class on a journey home from watching the Reds in London. On overhearing the conversation he offered to pay their fares and then dropped them off home in a taxi after returning to Lime Street.

Itsa hot summers day in West Derby and a group of local kids are out on the field playing football. Suddenly, Shankly arrives on the scene and proceeds to engage in an hour long kick-about with the star-struck youngsters. Apparently this was a common occurence on the playing field that was later renamed in his honour.

Standing on the Kop alongside his adoring fans shortly after his retirement as Liverpool manager. This is where he felt he belonged.

Bill Shankly: You will never walk alone. 

========================================

amen

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:56 pm

Just read them, and my only regret is not to have been around when he was.
Not only a legend as a football manager but from what anyone who met him has said as well, a lovely humble man.
:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:28 pm

sorry ppl. id have thought this would have attracted more response  :(

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:14 pm

My signature in SPanish forums is a quote from Bill Shankly. I have it in Spanish, I'll try to translate it back to english, and cross fingers so that I do a better job than babelfish

"if a player isn't interfering with the current play, and isn't looking forward to get the advantage, then he should be" when talking about off sides.

Besides funny, he has a point there. Thank you for your post.

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:18 pm

give us the quote in spanish sabre m8.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:22 pm

"Si un jugador no está interfiriendo en la jugada, y no está buscando una posición ventajosa, entonces debería estarlo"

Note that this was a translation, I don't think Bill talked in Spanish :D. When I started to fancy Liverpool because of Aldridge and because of the amazing thing Liverpool fans did with him (1) , an older mate that was already a fan talked me about Liverpool and some important people /players there.

Sabre

(1))(all the country were amazed when a group of more than 300 liverpool fans, went to the Camp Nou to support Aldo in a Barcelona - Real Sociedad game  :O , not used to that around here, they were allocated on the top of camp nou, and we were all shocked about that and what importance had Aldo for them, and to think he was in the bench because of RUsh!).
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:30 pm

bill shankly speaking spanish eh?  :D  thanks for the translation sabre anyway.

im sure that people like shankly, who are rare gems today sadly. need no translation in getting their ideas across... likewise their humility  :bowdown

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:39 am

spam ?   well hell why not!! :angry:

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion