Bill Shankly's mentality- discuss

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Hustler 2 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:51 pm

What does Shanks mentality, his famous quotes, mean to all of you??. A couple of examples...
"1st is 1st, 2nd is nowhere".
And making liverpool a " bastion of invincibility".

What does this mean, in terms of where we are with the current manager, and the owners who havent invested properly in the club.

We are near the top, but can we keep it going with this weak squad.

Do we all think Brendan Rodgers has the potential to have a statue erected next to the Shanks one?

When we finish 7th last season, what do you all think Shanks would make of it? Would he be horrified? Turning in his grave maybe.

What does Shanks comments/mentality mean to all of you.
Shanks word in football is the BIBLE to me, I dont think we should settle for anything less.
Last edited by Hustler 2 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby tadhger09 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Who should have gotten the job then?
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Shanks laid the foundations of the club for Bob/Joe/Kenny to build the greatest teams on.

He gave the club an identity and was the master of closing ranks but he did it with dignity and pride.

Shanks mentality was one of a born winner and he would do it his way.
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 am

Hustler 2 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:51 pm wrote:What does Shanks mentality, his famous quotes, mean to all of you??. A couple of examples...
"1st is 1st, 2nd is nowhere".
And making liverpool a " bastion of invincibility".

What does this mean, in terms of where we are with the current manager, and the owners who havent invested properly in the club.

We are near the top, but can we keep it going with this weak squad.

Do we all think Brendan Rodgers has the potential to have a statue erected next to the Shanks one?

When we finish 7th last season, what do you all think Shanks would make of it? Would he be horrified? Turning in his grave maybe.

What does Shanks comments/mentality mean to all of you.
Shanks word in football is the BIBLE to me, I dont think we should settle for anything less.

Thats a very romantic view you have there. Based on fact, but romantic nonetheless.
What would Shanks think of us finishing 7th last season, "Would he be horrified? Turning in his grave maybe."? He was a realist as well as a dreamer. I expect he would have said "Must do better, try harder, be stronger, support each other, and most of all, believe".
His word/mentality means so much to me, more because of the struggle he had when he first came to LFC and the years it took to get it right. Will Rodgers have a statue erected? I doubt it very much, but that shouldnt take away the fact that he is bringing the spirit of Shankly back to Liverpool, and that in itself is a good thing
Isnt it?
???
Thommo's perm

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion