Congested fixture list, european and domestic - 2 games in hand from the very beginning

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:20 am

As you all know, we are scheduled to play in the 3rd Qualifying round of the Champions League should we reach this far, and the 2nd leg happens to coincide with the Premiership encounter with Charlton. 3 days later, we are then scheduled to play in the Super Cup against CSKA Moscow as European Cup holders on a Friday, therefore the need to delay the Saturday Premiership encounter with Arsenal. That's already 2 match worth of points gone for a certain time, making us evidently lagging behind other Premiership teams.

At this early stage of the Premiership, we are already 2 match short of points. Though we still do have 2 games in hand, my main concern is the negative effects this might bring to the team as a whole, knowing that we will be 2 games behind all the other Premiership teams for a substantial part of the season. Could this affect team morale as a whole? Just like last year, all of us remained optimistic that we will capitalise on the games in hand and obtain maximum points. But the final result was disappointing, two draws at Anfield with Portsmouth and Blackburn.

What's worse, we are also scheduled to play in the World Club Championship on around winter time and this might potentially result in a further number of delayed Premiership games. Becuase of this, it looks likely that many crucial Premiership games (probably around 4 altogether) would have to be played during Midweeks, dampening stadium atmosphere. Seeing that our fixture list seem overly congested this season, do you think its a good idea to drop out of the World Club Cup, so that our Premiership form could turn for the good?

Share you opinions here.

EDIT: By the way, anyone know the difference between the World Club Cup and the World Club Championship?
Last edited by MilitiaRusher on Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:13 am

The world club cup was just between the champions of europe and south america, the world club championships is betweent the champions of each confederation with the south american and european champions seeded directly into the semi-finals
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:44 pm

I think you reading into it to much. Leae the topic alone. So what if we have a clogged up fixture list. The players already know that. Just sit back and enjoy the season.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1114725958 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:49 pm

I cant undertand why we are playng all these freindlies, olympiacos next saturday, TNS tuesday, we'll be burnt out before the league starts!
65-1114725958

Postby tubby » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:58 pm

Its to sharpen the players up. So that the striker ect...arnt rusty come TNS.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1114725958 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:02 pm

So with only one home game before the Man Utd home game, whats gonna happen as regards the "two ticket Stub" scenario, from previous matches if you want a ticket.
65-1114725958

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:28 pm

thats what rafa is trying to do with the larger squad the signing of momo and zenden, bringing these two players will lighten the pressure off of alonso and gerrard. They will less likely ward off injures, and the stars of our midfield can play at top form when ever they are called apon to preform.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:05 pm

i think the lad makes a fair point, over the last few seasons we havent been the best at coming from behind, even everton who hardly won a game after christmas managed to keep us off fourth spot last term. and with a team like us trying to break into the top three cartel of united, chelsea and arsenal i think its important for the players self belief to be in the mix right from the start. if they get 9 points ahead and we have three games in hand i dont think our players would consider themselves on equal terms. if we are going to gatecrash the party i think we have to get near the top early and stay up there on a week to week basis hopefully gaining confidence on the way, once the fixtures start adding up i think we`ll struggle coming from behind especially if the top clubs set a pace as harsh as the last two seasons

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby L-type » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:03 pm

I'm a little worried, but if we had won the game against Portsmouth and Blackburn, we'd be discussing the possibilities of us coming out of nowhere to grab the title.  It works both ways I guess.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:09 pm

we all know that we have a congested fixture list.
more importantly, so does rafa.
this is why we have such depth within the midfield to deal with all of these fixtures.
lets face it goalkeepers don't really get tired.
strikers, we have quite a bit of depth with cisse, baros, nando, mellor, pongolle and le tallec.
defenders need a bit more depth, then we'll be totally prepared for the upcoming fixtures!
stop worrying, kick back and be glad that we get to see the best team in europe perform in more and more games!!!!  :nod  :bowdown  :nod
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion